Stageline Version Recommendations Please!

Hi all, my first post!
I currently have my first-gen NaimUniti with Wiim Pro Plus into Fyne Audio F501s. I also have a Technics SL1200MK2 With Shure M44-7 Cartridge sitting idle while I figure out the best phono for the Uniti. The Shure M44-7 is MM with Output Voltage: 9,5 mV & Recommended Load: 47 kΩ; 450 pf. So, would the Stagline N version work well or should I consider other versions? Thanks.

The Stageline N will work well. A very good phono preamp for the money.

1 Like

Thanks for your quick reply, appreciate it!

I hope this is not as old as I think it might be…??

I am not sure exactly how old the cartridge is…as it came with the SL1200MK2 when I bought it used about 7-8 years ago…however, I’ve used it occasionally & it sounds really good without any issues… :o)

How many hours on the cartridge? If you have no idea, you can keep the cart and order a replacement stylus.

Not sure I’d use a stylus without knowing the wear on it.

I googled your cartridge and then decided that you are possibly doing a bit of DJ-ing at home.

Stageline N should be good. I’ve had one.

1 Like

I have a Stageline K, good phono amp, gives truly ‘ground-worrying’ bass.

Sometimes damned by faint praise, but it works great in my system - 282/250.2DR LP12 source.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Definitely a Stageline N - whatever you do, don’t use a Stageline K, S, or E here!

2 Likes

I don’t believe a Stageline phonostage can be powered up by a Uniti, you will need a seperate PSU, such as Flatcap etc…
If thats too expensive, maybe look for Graham See, Rega amo… self powered phono stages.

I’d always go for a new stylus for such old s/h cartridge.

1 Like

The Uniti has the required powered AUX2 input, so it’s simple to add on a Stageline without the need for any additional power supply. Of course dedicating a power supply to the Stageline may bring even better results, but it’s nice to have that upgrade path open for the future.

3 Likes

Well, I’ve used that cartridge for the last 7 years, the M44-7 are known to be built like a tank (including DJ scratching :smile: ), I haven’t had any issues at all. However, you are probably right…once the phono is upgraded, I’ll have to start looking at cartridge upgrades, it’s never-ending :smile: !

Not as enough as I’d like to, but yes!

1 Like

On the Naim website, it does say " * 24V supply voltage from NaimUniti 2, NAIT XS2, SUPERNAIT 2, Hi-Cap-DR, Nait XS-3 & Supernait 3, a Naim Audio preamplifier (except NAC-N172 XS & NAC-N 272), FlatCap XS, HiCap or SuperCap required." It should work I believe. Agreed on replacing the stylus!

Yes, the original Uniti can power it. Some other models such as the Superuniti can’t, but yours will be fine.

2 Likes

Sorry wasn’t aware of that, its a nice phonostage, a bit expensive if you buy new.

1 Like

Yes, new I’ve seen for around £450, however, few used cheaper options are available on eBay.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.