Stageline with Nac 252

Yes

How did you address the issue?

Thatā€™s the perfect descriptionā€™softā€™, itā€™s almost like someone has turned the treble down to zero

Iā€™ve never used a Rega cartridge with a Stageline so canā€™t comment further, but I would suggest you ask your dealer if you can borrow a Rega phonostage on your ststem.

2 Likes

Also should have said that Iā€™ve used the Stage and Superline powered by my 282, sounded great.

Maybe ask your dealer to try Rega Fono MC. Great product at this price point.

I found this to be a much better phono compared to StageLine. Eventually, I settled on the capable Rega Aria. Try a pre-loved Aria to keep the budget down

Hope that helps

IME, a Planar3 /Exact/Rega Fono was astonishingly good, and a bargain, too.
Traded for a Rega Aria mk I; then upgraded to RP10/Aphelion.
Finally swapped in Superline/Supercap.
Joy at every increment.

Sounds like your combination is the only problem. All are reliable makers.

Keep at it, if you can.

Nick

3 Likes

Soā€¦ we have a Rega low output MC into a Stageline S, powered from Aux 2 on a 252, powered by a Supercapā€¦ yesā€¦?

Should be pretty damn good. How about getting your (helpfulā€¦?) dealer to visit you, perhaps bringing a Rega phonostage to compare, chez vousā€¦ :thinking:

4 Likes

I changed to Prefix and Superline , powered by Hicap /Supercap and now I have Prefix K /Supercap.

1 Like

Iā€™ve used a Stageline K with a 252 (aux2) for over 20 years. Never felt the need to upgrade (Iā€™m running a Lyra Argo i in a Select ā€œplusā€ LP12).

1 Like

Oh boy, are you in for a treat if you ever substitute a Superline for the Stagelineā€¦

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Maybe try the Vertere Phono MkII L? A pleasant surprise awaits you.

Richard, how would the Superline stack up against my Cyrus Phono Signature with PSX/R2?
I already owns the Cyrus before I bought the LP12, now wondering if itā€™s delivering the best results for the TTšŸ¤”
Simon

Simon, I have not heard the Cyrus, so couldnā€™t say. I do know that the Superline was considered one of the very best phono stages when it was released and that probably still stands today, especially if you value what Naim does well in music replay. Itā€™s worth having a read of the Superline reviews, particularly the ones that appeared in Hifi Critic (available to download).

2 Likes

It depends
So many variables to weighā€¦

The Cyrus is a great phono stage. Particularly with the PSU.

With the Rega cartridges, you might like what a Rega Aura does?

As an aside, - with my LP12 set up - I preferred the presentation of a SuperLine. On its own, it is pretty good. Adding an external PSU takes it to another level.

Others will share same or different experiences depending on many factors, relating to cartridge, turntable, system set up, musical taste, etc.

Looks like a home demo opportunity :grin:

Just checked your user profile to see how your LP12 is set upā€¦

Iā€™m wondering if you might also consider things on your TT, before any phono options. For example the TT PSU, such as a Lingo4 or Radikal ?

Linn recommended (in order of significance) : PSU first, then bearing, subchassis, tonearm, cartridge, etc.

My experience is this is good advice for any turntable. As an example, we recently changed the stock PSU with a Rega RP6 for the newer NEO PSU. Best upgrade (at any price) weā€™ve ever experienced :+1:

So, the Cyrus might reveal more yet, before you think about changing it.

As always, a thoughtful conversation with your local dealer is a good start point.

3 Likes

That sounds very familiar.

I use the cyrus signature phono with psxr2. Youd have to spend significant more money IMO. I heard a few phono stages, all different. The big advantage, over its sound, is the ability to change loading, gain etc on the fly.

1 Like