Star Cd Player

I was sat listening earlier to some music from the CD5i into the Muso Gen 1 and that itch started as it does from time to time, you know the one… what if?

Where in the grand scheme of NAIM CD players does the CD in the Star sit are we at the CD5i end or the CD555 end of the scale

Have moved this into right thread. Thanks @Suedkiez for the spot

2 Likes

If you have enough magic beans, get a Nova. Use the CD5 with it.

1 Like

That did cross my mind and should have being in n the question
thanks VV

:+1:

And once OP adopt streaming… there’s no turning back. :sweat_smile:

So looking at your profile do you prefer 5i and Nait to cd via Star
Or different animals for different purposes

The CD5i/Nait5i is two days old for me, (bought from Tom Tom, so in mint condition and tested,) it is for a second system - in the loft train room. The speakers are the limiting factor, but it sounds fine. The Star/PMC’s can make an evening disappear in a few minutes! I get lost in the music for hours on end. I have only had it since September, but really like the choice of streaming to try new music and ripped CD’s and LP’s for music I really enjoy.

1 Like

This topic should be in the Hifi Corner, I think, not the music room. Throw that bomb about the CD555 end of the scale into the “CD555” thread :popcorn:

2 Likes

I think a Star playing a CD is going to be nowhere special. But a Star playing a rip of a CD that it made earlier and put on a USB stick is a different question and there is a lot of commonality between the Star and Core in terms of ripping and playing rips. (The Star has much less functionality than the Core). So I think the second scenario is nos getting serious about SQ.

But I agree that a more interesting approach would be to take a Nova and either just rip CDs with a PC and play from the Nova or add a pre-loved Naim CD player.

Best

David

1 Like

Have CD 5i
Have ripped CD’s to NAS
Stream via Qobuz

Just curious about quality of star CD player or whether CD5i to Nova ‘better’ option (yes need to listen etc) given enough spare magic beans come along

I think the Star CD player is nothing special as a CD player. But I haven’t heard a Star playing an actual CD. I think the Star playing a rip is getting serious. But a Nova is a lot more serious.
Best

David

For me a RIP of a cd via my NAS sounds better than the same cd played through my star

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.