Starter Espresso Machines

I use it all mocca ( since i was a University student in italy in 92) v60 and now a fancy machine :slight_smile:

had one of these for years - works great

1 Like

Looking goodā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Bialetti Moka pots are absolutely the way forward. Practically indestructible and more or less idiot-proof.

They are so standard in Italy that even tiny corner shops sell them. Theyā€™re considered more ā€˜premiumā€™ here and, sadly, priced accordingly.

Mark

1 Like

You can get them cheap in TK Maxx! But indeed, on holiday in Italy gives good prices and choice - once COVID allows

Getting an induction hob. Need to change minešŸ™

Used to have a Sage. Excellent, but single boiler meant it took a while to heat up to froth milk. Looked around for a while then settled on a pre-owned, refurbished one, an Astoria Vintage.

Itā€™s quite large, and weighs about 100kg, but makes good coffee.

lovecoffeemachines.co.uk stock a range of these sorts of machines, from about Ā£700 upwards (I have no affiliation, just am a satisfied customer)

Two recommendations: get a decent grinder, and get a commercial water softener if you have hard water, itā€™ll make much nicer coffee and protect the machine.

4 Likes

Induction hobs are great - Iā€™ve had one for 15 years and would never go back to gas or other electric. Iā€™d liked the concept since first hearing of maybe 20 years earlier, but simply not available, then one or two brands started offering, initially mega expensive, but at last they became affordable. Once I had one I spent ages searching for a Moka type coffee percolator that would work with induction to no avail, first seeing one only a couple of years ago. Also 15 years ago there werenā€™t many pans suitable, now they are common, which is good (I used to take a magnet with me to check, but now most pans (and Mokas) have symbols to tell you if induction suitable.

I have used induction hobs for 20 yrs now and would never go back. Bialetti make the Venus range which I have for my hob. They look pretty cool too

2 Likes

Good move! We have no mains gas, so when the Aga went, electric was the only option. Now, I wouldnā€™t go back to gas even if we had the choice. We did have to spend a bit of cash on new pans though. Also the plastic handle on my stainless Bialetti hasnā€™t melted yet!

1 Like

Ah, yes, new cookware! Only one of my pans is induction friendly (though it is one of my favourites), so need to spend the month researching alternates while old kitchen gets taken out and then new kitchen goes in!

Plenty of choice now that induction hobs are more common. Initially we were warned off cast iron, but it actually works very well, except that some rough iron bases can scratch the ceramic hob quite easily. My favourites, though, are Le Creuset 3-Ply Stainless.

Wow! Now weā€™re getting somewhere. Just need a bigger kitchen to take one :slight_smile:

Flat cast iron griddles work well, too - but bigger scratch risk as they arenā€™t so easy to lift straight up when finished. Iā€˜ll try putting baking parchment underneath next time I use it.

1 Like

Apparently so, one of these is coming with hob.

1 Like

Bialetti make them now

Mine is something like this:

Interesting, is that the original handle? Ours is black plastic.

Currently using a Rok manual machine specifically for making Espresso, mainly make V60 pour over as a rule. Iā€™ve owned various ones over the years but this one is very compact and work surface friendly and as it has no pump or heater to worry about is very easy to live with and maintain, itā€™s a good way to learn how to make good consistent espresso without spending a lot on a machine and getting frustrated.
Iā€™d add that itā€™s worth having good scales and a grinder that works well with espresso grinds. I use a manual hand cranked Kinu M47 primarily.

If you end up getting a Aeropress (everyone should have one that likes making coffee) you can add a Fellow Prismo attachment to it and tune it for a pressurised brew akin to Espresso brewing.

1 Like