Starter Espresso Machines

I upgraded to walnut and a new group head from happy donkey. The original rusted out behind the shower screen…well worth it

Ah cheers, looks nice

Interested in the induction hob comments as we are getting one on our new range (an everhot) that we are going to order in the next few weeks. Never considered before

1 Like

Advantages: Totally efficient, no heating of anything other than the pan (or griddle etc) - therefore both energy saving and faster to heat up than any same power electric hob of any design, or gas. No burning/scorching of handles. As with other electric, no smell from gas, and no explosion or carbon monoxide risk. Cleaning is easy. Hob is not hotter than the pan, so on removal of pan the temperature of tge surface is lower than other electric rings or gas pan supports that have been in the flame, so reduced injury risk.

Disadvantages: Initial cost. Not all pans suitable. As with other electric, flambé by getting alcohol fumes to ignite requires an external source of ignition.

1 Like

another disadvantage is that the glass surface cracks (says us who are on their third one…)

otherwise, good. But pans mat need changing too

1 Like

You will love your Everhot.
Which model? I use 100+, it’s just me for most of the week so two ovens are sufficient, and I hardly use the hot plates as the induction hob is used all the time.

1 Like

We are going to get the 150i, I think. We currently have a Rayburn 90cm (oil fired) and an Aga companion (60cm regular oven). Wish we had got one ten years ago when the first Rayburn went up in smoke (£20k insurance claim and huge amounts of hassle) but that was before we had the wind turbine and before I got so keen on ridding ourselves of burning stuff :grin: and at the time we couldn’t sub the insurance proceeds to get a leccy range. We were aware that everhot existed but didn’t understand them and aga and Rayburn had a better reputation then than now. We had an air source heat pump fitted in the summer and will get solar in a couple of years. We have hugely lowered our carbon footprint this year (and lockdown meant no holiday abroad either)

By the way you commented on our ash “plantation” a while back. Apparently it was all diseased and had to be removed (by my bro in law). So that’s less good

1 Like

Yes we will need some pans but there will still be quite a big area of hot plate that regular pans will work on

It’s either an induction section or an even bigger regular hot plate section and I think we need the flexibility of an induction bit

This is what we have. All works great.

4 Likes

Wow! What make(s)/model(s), over what time, and what caused the cracking if known?

My induction hob, just coming up to 15 years old, is a Zanussi, and gets a fair bit of use (proper cooking every day). Glass hasn’t cracked, and only minimal scratching, primarily from cast iron griddle before I realised (only visible in oblique light). Occasionally - less often than annually on average - it benefits from a razor blade to to remove slight surface residues from the most used rings, otherwise just has a wipe with a damp cloth immediately after use. It went wrong once, just within it’s 1-year guarantee, and was repaired under warranty (I had to drop it in, but it was a local agent, and fixed next day).

I’ll have to check - I think both were caused by sudden impacts to the surface - not usual behaviour for a cooker, I grant you, but fairly typical for a kitchen surface (which is is much more an integral part of) in a chaotic household with 3 kids…

I may have misled people inadvertently -in everyday usage, it’s perfectly fine. But because there’s a glass sheet mostly hidden on a kitchen surface it is more likely to get some abuse…

We have a glass or ceramic hob on the aga companion and that’s never (in 14 years) suffered any impact damage so we should be ok

Our biggest issue seems to be trying to decide on the colour :flushed:

1 Like

Quite large 100 kg wow

Would never go back now, so gentle you dont need a bain marie and so powerful searing meat is easy, faster than gas more economical than electric. Also prices over the 10 years we have had ours has come down markedly. Ours is a Bosch FWIW latest version like this and at the time it was about 1600

1 Like

Ours will be integrated into an Everhot range oven https://everhot.co.uk/The-Everhot-Range/The-Everhot-Range/Everhot-150-(1).aspx and the induction model on that size is cheaper than the regular one, but on all other sizes it’s the more expensive

it’s a bit of a beast…
can set up the 2 group sets to make different strengths of coffee, large amounts of instant steam, warms that corner of the kitchen esp the coffee cups. It’s the same as a the ones in Costa.
WFH we’re using it quite a bit…

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, i was just giving our 1p on the general topic, good luck!

1 Like

It’s fine :blush: it’s me that crashed the topic. Espresso is quite dear to my heart but I have stayed away from commenting as my espresso machine is not at all a starter. Nor are my grinders (yes, plural). I never really got along with the mokka pot we had, but that was before I understood about the need for getting source first right :grin: with beans and grinder!

1 Like

We always install the hob in a section set lower than the remainder of worksurface, for ease of handling hot possible heavy things (also bring it out a bit deeper, so a bit more space between hob and front edge). Although not the reason for this approach, it delineates the hob so perhaps less risk of using the space inappropriately. This is our third kitchen we’ve designed, all with that feature though the first not deeper, and it works very well. The extractor hood of course has still to be high enough to not get in the way, so it can require a larger area or slightly more powerful hood than with the hob at normal worksurface height.

To the OP: sorry for thread diversion - the topic seems to have become coffee machines and induction hobs!

2 Likes