Starter Espresso Machines

Good approach.

I am currently pinned down by one of the cats so not a great angle for a photo but here is my espresso machine

4 Likes

Iā€™ve just had my first coffee from this attachment to my Aeropress. Impressive crema ā€¦ and flavour consistent.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just bought this bad boy of certain online auction site. Never had a lever espresso machine before so itā€™ll be a bit of a learning curve before I get some really good espresso out of it.

3 Likes

Ä°t was a very fast upgrade from Lelit Grace to Mara X

Both great machines and i like the home espresso

3 Likes

A very steep slippery slope thenā€¦

2 Likes

The Elektra isnā€™t difficult to learn once you have got the grind and dose right. Leave a little headroom in the basket and let the spring get on with it. Provides nicely-layered shots. Great for Yirgacheffe.

1 Like

Very nice! What is it? A Bezzera?

???

A Londinium - very popular as a prosumer lever machine around 6-7 years ago (donā€™t know how popular it is now). It was commissioned by a NZ guy who had the Londinium roastery in London (but has since moved back to NZ) according to what he wanted. Built by a midlands espresso machine maker (cannot remember who) to his spec. Very good and will keep pressure going happily all day long with heavy use

Edited to add - think it may be Fracino

1 Like

I didnā€™t recognise it. Yes, Iā€™ve known Reiss since he started Londinium and still lived in London. He used to sell Olympia machines and I bought a Cremina off him, which is how we met. Heā€™s a great a guy and has done something really special with the Londiniums. Thatā€™s one of the very best spring lever groupheads and used in many well known Italian pro machines, including the Bosco.

I hope you have paired it with a suitably wonderful grinder :slight_smile:

And yes, it is Fracino.

1 Like

Itā€™s an Ethiopian coffee bean. An amazing one with a complex flavour profile :slight_smile:

Thanks!

(A bean - just a single one in the world? Must be hard emulating that without destroying it for future reference! :grin:)

Ah, grinders. I do have a bit of a weakness there :grimacing: firstly the londinium needs a service and has done for months - been v60 pour over for ages. So I havenā€™t yet used my latest grinder - EK43 (bought used at start of lockdown). Not found a place in the kitchen for it yet that my wife will allow :thinking: but the intention is for it to replace my HG one (used for espresso) and my niche (used for pour over). Though I may keep the HG one for decorative purposes and the niche for holiday use :grimacing:.

Indeed! Built in Birmingham by Francino - who make machines for several companies.

I hear thereā€™s a Londonium Compact in development. Apparently it should be available early next year!

1 Like

Iā€™m still working on getting the grind right. Itā€™s loads coarser than I would have expected.

Thatā€™s strange, it will choke on Turkish-style powder grind but still likes a reasonably fine grind. Is the machine new? Have you weighed the dose, just to set a benchmark?

Itā€™s used and probably close to 20 years old but in good condition. The flow is pretty good and after a little adjustment the pressure and temperature is spot on.

Iā€™ve ordered some new seals and a new spring which Iā€™ll fit over the next few days and see what happens.

Forgot to say, Iā€™m using 16g per double espresso and aiming for about 30g of espresso.

16g is about as high a dose as the Microcasa can take. Lowering the dose may also let you grind finer, depending on the bean/blend and above all roast.

If it leaks a bit of water through the grouphead heating up and cooling down, thatā€™s a good sign new seals are needed.

1 Like

Type of bean(s), temperature and length of roast, fineness of grinding, quantity of grounds, firmness of tamping, temperature, pressure and flowrate of water, final volume. (That is before any other options if not drinking the neat coffee.)ā€¦ Puts a Japanese tea ceremony to shame! Anyone for Maxwell House? :joy: