Starter Hi-Fi system

Surely that would mean that the Focals have inherited some of the Ovators DNA. :sunglasses:

Thanks

OK so as Clare suggested a few dealers are doing bundles with Focal speakers and NAC A5 speaker cable thrown in, search naim focal bundle for some ideas

1 Like

The other alternative to streaming is a Nait 5si and CD5si, , some fairly basic speakers from either AE, Q Acoustics or some basic Focals and some decent speaker cable

I started with something not too dissimilar 30 years ago and have been up and down the box count since then

1 Like

Or flip it another way to say the multi-award-winning Mu-so features Focal-optimized speaker drivers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I suppose there nothing wrong with a little symbiosis as long as they manage to keep their own identities. :sunglasses:

Seriously? No. But there’s a good chance of being drawn in to this lark and spending years on upgraditis.

It’s been more than 10 years now since Focal and Naim united; we’re stronger together but still have our own Made in France/Made in England identities and are proud of our respective heritages.

5 Likes

I had my old Naim/Dynaudio system in a terraced house room that size, bit tricky getting small standmounts in best position, but with a bit of jiggery-pokery it sounded great.
Atom with new Emit M10 worth a listen M20’s is you don’t want an xmas card off the neighbours :grinning:

2 Likes

Oh, no doubt these sound tidy too … but I prefer the Dyn vibe

2 Likes

What is a terraced house? :thinking:

5 Likes

Atom HE and Focal Clear headphones. You’ll have audio bliss 24x7.

2 Likes

With all due respect i don’t think you can compare a headphone and a speaker system. These are really two different things. Of course you can get a much better headphone system than a speaker system for the same money, but unless you have volume and/or space restriction, i would always go for a speaker system.

5 Likes

I have a room that is a bit bigger than yours. I started with Yamaha WXAD-10, Naim Nait 5si plus Spendor 3/5. A bit less than your budget in total. However, I had to fix some proper extra grounding.
With time I upgraded my Yamaha to ND5 XS2. However, you can try an Atom.
In such a small room you should carefully think of speaker placement. Say, ported speakers might overload the room with bass. I once tried a subwoofer, but now I’m happy without it.
So, I suggest you go with a sealed cabinet, i.e. Spendor 3/5, 4/5, ProAc Tab 10, etc.

2 Likes

The recommendation to go with sealed speakers is very sound. I have my ProAc Tablette 10 Signatures only a few inches from the wall, which is ideal in a more modest room. However, an Atom would not really be ideal for them, as they need more power to give a full sound. I have a Supernait 3 on mine, with an NDX2 up front. An ND5XS2 and Nait XS3, or a Nova, is where I’d start is considering the ProAcs, which also need very good stands. With an Atom and a £3,000 budget, less demanding speakers would probably be a better fit.

3 Likes

Proac recommend an amplifier 5-50 Watts for the Tablettes.

1 Like

I know that the OP came here for a Naim product and this is a Naim forum, but if i would start again and have a limited budget, active speakers would be my choice as this gets you the best bang for the buck in my opinion. KEF LS50 Wireless II or Buchardt A500 come to mind.

If you like to have a device for a bit more flexibiliy such as the Atom, and maybe want to change speakers down the road if the budget allows, there are really many many speakers options around which will work fine with the Atom. This would also allow a more seamless multiroom experience with your MuSo if you intend to keep it.

I have no personal experience with the Proac Tablette 10 which often gets recommended here, but if that is the speaker you want and like, starting with a used Atom now and maybe upgrading to a Nova a few years later may also be an option, as the resale value of the Atom is quite good.

Otherwise things as Dynaudio Evoke 20 or the KEF LS50 Meta, are worth considering. Also the complete packages Claire mentionned with the Focals’s. There are also floorstanding speakers you could consider with the Atom such as the Spendor A2 or Neat Iota Alpha which do get recommend here from time to time.

There has never been so many good speakers at around 1000 pounds, so best is to make a shortlist of speakers you can audition easily and just see what suits you best, both visually and soundwise.

1 Like

I’d highly recommend pairing the Uniti Atom with a pair of Kef ls50 Metas, their quality belies their bookshelf size and they sound great with the Atom. Most good retailers in the UK will do a bundle with the Atom for just under £3k and throw in some decent cables, to which I’d recommend getting banana plugs fitted for ease of connection.

5 Likes

This is true, but as @anon27418182 will attest, the Atom really isn’t enough. Small speakers can do wonders, as anyone who has heard Linn Kans on the end of 135s, or nSats on a 300, will know. I discussed my T10/SN3 with ProAc before deciding and they felt it would be a great idea. These are very very high quality speakers and thrive on both quality and power.

5 Likes

SN3 will do better, however, for the 3K budged Atom is quite optimal solution when paired with sealed cabinet speakers.

1 Like