Starter Hi-Fi system

And if funds and space allows, adding a KC62 Subwoofer down the road will surely make a wonderful and neat system that i could easily use a as main system for the rest of my life.

1 Like

I don’t think the subwoofer in the smal square room is good solution

1 Like

I got an Atom earlier this year, which I have paired with Focal Aria 926’s. The speakers would perhaps be too large for your room, but loads of choice out there in your price range. I’m delighted with my setup. It’s very easy to use, the connection is reliable, and smooth. I’m mostly using Apple Music via Airplay from my iPhone & iPad, although I also subscribe to Tidal (for now).

The Atom is a gorgeous sounding, and pretty little setup. Paired with the right speakers for your room, it is an excellent option.

2 Likes

You are right. That sounds like a recipe for disaster :slight_smile:

That contradicts my experience. My room is approx 11’ by 13’ and my REL Strata 3 is very effective. Always best to have a home demo though as there are so many variables.

1 Like

No one has yet ( I don’t think) suggested considering pre-loved. Your budget would go a lot further and Naim is so reliable and retains its value well.

Many dealers have a section for pre-loved equipment stock they have taken as trade-ins on their web-sites - and Tom-Tom audio have a large selection…

5 Likes

Why not? Subs have a volume knob. Small room just means the little kc62 will fill the room.

Infact, come to think of it, the best performance I got from my SVS sb 13 ultra was when we moved the living room into a small spare bedroom temporarily whilst renovating. It never sounded as good when it went back in the big room and I ended up selling it not long after.

1 Like

When I had nSats I used an nSub with them and they were great. It’s a pretty big, powerful thing, and my room is only 12’ by 15’. You can get great results in small rooms, where the sound really fills the room, rather than seeming to come from one end and being a bit lost. That said, with my little speakers I don’t feel the need for any deeper bass. There are, of course, small speakers and small speakers.

2 Likes

I’d take less bass over rubbish bass any day of the week. It can spoil everything.

2 Likes

Agreed. The problem is the square room, which might get you into trouble.
Anyway, we keep diverging. Let’s hope the OP finds a system he likes!

1 Like

I can’t recommend the Atom enough. I have never listened to as much music since I bought mine. So much so that it drives my wife a bit bonkers. It is a gateway drug though! So don’t say you weren’t warned.

4 Likes

The problem with controlling bass can get a whole lot more difficult when the room is square, so your 11 x 13 room may well be a whole lot easier than the OPs 12 x 12 room in terms of uncontrollable bass.

Small and square room is a bit tricky case for the subwoofer. It should always have the proper place and orientation. If you have enough space in your small room - it is fine. If not, the subwoofer will be useless.

No greater truth has ever been written.

Interesting idea - to spend £50000 + speakers and cables, when the budget is just £3000. Who gives more?

3 Likes

Gordon Bennet :slight_smile: it was just a tongue in cheek suggestion, albeit one which in a way I wish I’d done in 2013 to save repeated feelings of ‘oh…’ and then the man-maths and practicalities of swapping A for B and doing all the deals to get to a good price. Although that is part of the fun, getting a good deal.

OP - ignore my advice. You can have years of joy and never once have a fancy to move up a level, because once you do there are always other levels above to move to. And you end up in 500 series territory after all. Don’t do it.

3 Likes

Yes, the Atom is not enough with the Tab 10s IMHO. Guru Juniors will sing as will some Spendor Classic 4/5s which I’m using with my CB Nait 2 with no problems. The KEF LS50s are unknown to me but well regarded.

3 Likes

Just logged on again, thanks all for some great advice / thoughts. I’ve tons to go at, really appreciate your efforts.

super stuff

Keep us updated on your findings!

1 Like