Statement disappointment

I think Naim needs to come up with a SuperHeadline that has connections that fit with the Statement, somehow. Do you hear me, Naim? We need a SuperHeadline!

Just a question Mitch, I understand your problem and hope you will solve it.
You have 2 wonderful sources, the CD555 and a top Kuzma turntable.
When you record from them, is the sound not inferior a bit, vs straight from the cd player or straight from the turntable?

Good question. The answer is yes, absolutely. I mostly use my Revox to make mixed tapes of favorites from my collection of CDs and LPs (well, I used to include LPs). The tapes run for over 6 hours (3 3/4ips) and are used as background music. This is great for when Iā€™m doing stuff around the house or hanging out with friends, etc. Because of the great length of these tapes I donā€™t have to think about what to paly next or bother to actually interact with my system at all. When I want to actually focus on the music, I go directly to the sources. I realize that a streamer could serve the same function, but making these tapes has been a hobby for decades and I currently have close to 250 of them. Thereā€™s something about those spinning reelsā€¦

4 Likes

Do you have easy access to the back of the pre? If you leave the cables hooked up, pre din out into your r2r, then youā€™d just have to flick the output selector switch from balanced to din when recording. Then back again when done.

1 Like

Hope you get some resolution to this Mitch and someone comes up with a creative solution.

o you have easy access to the back of the pre? If you leave the cables hooked up, pre din out into your r2r, then youā€™d just have to flick the output selector switch from balanced to din when recording. Then back again when done.

Assuming that would work, the advantage of doing it this way instead of wiring the CD directly into the Revox is that I would be able to record from my TT as well, correct? I still need to check into whether using the pre DINS would degrade the overall performance of the Statement. If that is not the case, I very much like your suggestion.

The switch would effectively turn the din output on and off, so in the off position (ie balanced ā€œonā€) there is no degradation of sound. And yes, youā€™d be able to record from every source.

2 Likes

If the tapes are only for background music then at least you can still record them on your 2nd system and play them back on your big rig? That way you can still enjoy the hobby of making the tapes and I can see the appeal of that after reminiscing about doing my own years ago via the Lou Ottens RIP thread.

I know youā€™re disappointed at the moment but we really are into the super elite end of first world problems here.

Hope you can find a happy solution.

Cheers, Rack.

:+1:t5:

2 Likes

know youā€™re disappointed at the moment but we really are into the super elite end of first world problems here.

Tru dat!!!

2 Likes

Using your suggestion, I suppose I would control the recording level from the pre volume dial as well as the record dial on the Revox?

This.

@Mitch think you have yourself a solution.

I recommend you tap the little heart on Robertā€™s post.

Yes both would adjust. It would be a bit of trial and error to start, but youā€™d quickly I think find out which is easier for you. Either set the Naim pre volume to say 9 oā€™clock and adjust the revox, or the other way around. My guess it would be easier to fix the revox and adjust the Naim depending on what source you were recording.

Thanks again, Robert. The only thing thatā€™s bugging about your solution is that I believe Jason Gould told me that connecting to both the DIN and XLR jacks on the preamp degrades performance by around 30%. Iā€™m not certain thatā€™s what he said. He might have been referring to setting that switch where both sets of outputs on active simultaneously. Iā€™ll reach out to him again tomorrow. Iā€™ll let you know what he says.

Glad you got in touch with Jason, hope he can guide youšŸ¤žšŸ½

From looking at your set up if you can access the balanced, unbalanced or both switch on the back of the statement preamp then you can solve this by moving the switch to one or the other.

Perhaps also to solve the volume issue a small unit could be introduced to feed a balanced signal to the R2R?

Say hi from me, I miss them at the factory. I suspect itā€™s having both outputs active that causes the issue. I imagine having the din switched off negates that. Jason will know for certain.

Thanks for the idea, but I would prefer not to introduce an in-between stage into the system. It, I believe, would denigrate the signal.

I will do that. What is your last name? I imagine he may know more than one Robert.

Ah but only 1 who was at Naim a year ago. Hope to see him at Bristol ā€˜22 assuming such a thing as a hifi show comes back again.