Statement

This is the statement you made in your post, with which I am disagreeing: “Resistor ladder, digital or electronic controls do not sound as good, even if they are more linear or convenient.”

I often see statements claiming superiority of one technological solution over another, when, in my experience, it typically depends on how the technologies are implemented. Linear vs switched-mode power supplies are a case in point. I believe the same is true of using resistor ladders for volume control. My Auralic Vega G2 has a fully passive relay-driven resistor ladder. Far from cheap, indeed this is an expensive way of doing things and accounts for a good deal of the price difference with its junior cousin, the Vega G1. The point about the S1 is that Naim obviously think a resistor ladder is the best solution for their best preamp and the 272 shows it can be done in a classic box, so I don’t see why SQ considerations mean they couldn’t put one in any future versions of the classic-series preamps.

Roger

3 Likes

Indeed it may already have

It’s settled then. Naim will use the 272 / Statement volume solution for all their future preamps.

1 Like

yeah mine is set at 60 - with a 5 & 7 year old around it’s peace of mind.

mine cutoff is set at 43…
I like to listen on low volumes and I doubt my speaker drivers would like it at 60

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.