Statement

I can read that a top spec Lp12 was used in 552 vs statement, and I am happy to read that the 300% more expensive S1 IS better than a 552.

2 Likes

LOL!

Hi Mike
I listened to a Statement in a domestic environment a few years ago. The speakers were Ovator 800s and source was a Unitiserve with a special one off naim power supply, possibly a modified supercap,
The steamer was an NDS with 2x555DR power supplies.

The speakers were physically imposing but the sound was the best I have ever heard from a stereo system. Very lifelike and it rocked. Decay of notes was quite noticeable as everything was so clear.
I went home and my Unitiserve, 272, 250DR, Ovator 400 system sounded like a transistor radio in comparison.

I have subsequently obtained a 555DR and a Uniticore and this has greatly improved the musicality of my system. When listening to the Statement driving Focal speakers more recently at the dealership, the difference was not so great, so I am in no rush to buy a Statement currently.

2 Likes

Seems the Focal speakers are not gathering many plaudits…

3 Likes

Yes but a statement owner does not need ugly racks and therefore no dedicated room for the hifi. Statement might well be cheaper!

how could it be cheaper…? there’s a lot of price difference…

blimey

Hopefully, the nice volume internals will get trickled down to a future NAC as well. It’s a shame even the Qb has a nicer volume knob than the 552.

1 Like

Yeah, going through 202 - 282 - and now 252, I agree the Classic series volume control sucks, and is a crappy user experience. The UnitiQute volume control was so much better. I love my Naim gear otherwise.

3 Likes

So is Yellowstone.

The 272 volume control is lovely.

Not only does it have 100 settings, but one can easily set the top volume, which is a good backup in case Someone decides to turn the pot all the way clockwise while music is playing.

3 Likes

I disagree on the volume control. The Alps blue pot used in the classic series preamps is sonically superior. This has been my experience not just with Naim, but also Audio Research. Resistor ladder, digital or electronic controls do not sound as good, even if they are more linear or convenient. To be sure, I have no experience with the S1…

2 Likes

I’m talking about the user experience (it’s the worst of any system I’ve ever had). Not the sonic quality. Adjusting from the remote is horrible, and the volume is mostly maxed out using less than 30% of the physical range (i.e. 10 o’clock or so).

2 Likes

How do you disentangle what the Alps Blue pot does for SQ from all the other differences?

2 Likes

I just realized where your avatar comes from. Great album!

Hehehe. In my observation, after a certain point, money and class become inversely proportional.

2 Likes

But the Statement preamp uses a resistor ladder (with the level set by a volume control chip) rather than an alps pot. Or so I’ve been led to believe.

Roger

… or, for that matter, to get the system to extract it, which is the secret sauce really :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I realize that the Statement preamp has a resistor ladder, that is why I wrote “To be sure, I have no experience with the S1…” And I’m sure it is wonderfully implemented, and sounds fabulous. My main point was that, in my opinion, Naim should be very careful about replacing the Alps Blue pot in the Classic range with a presumably much less costly resistor ladder. There have been many complaints about the Classic volume control, in this thread and elsewhere, but I have found it easy to use, including with the remote control, and sonically superior Just tap, don’t hold.

And of course it is impossible, or at least impractical, to isolate the contribution of any volume pot in any preamp. It’s just that all of my favorite preamps going back to the 80s have had the Alps. The Audio Research SP-10 was a pinnacle, just amazing; but then AR gear lost its mojo, in my opinion, after going to balanced outputs and other volume control systems. Of course that may be just be a coincidence. I have tried both Conrad Johnson and Convergent Audio preamps with resistor ladders and found them flat, dynamically challenged–again, maybe just a coincidence.

I believe Richard Dane has commented from time to time on Naim’s ongoing faith in the Alps Blue. Perhaps he could comment further.

I wonder if those struggling with the classic volume via the remote have missed the memo about that nudge function of just tapping, or even tap then press again and hold for a slow response.
RTFM.

2 Likes

Yes, I am aware of all the techniques for changing volume with the remote. Disregarding quality, it still stands as the worst user experience of any volume control I’ve ever used.

4 Likes