Stories behind famous album covers

interesting background
hope the link works - if not it is from smithsonian magazine

1 Like

Hi, @indexical

Not sure how or why you posted a QR code for the article link, but here’s a better ‘normal’ one with easier access, for those who are interested.

Note the page does contain a few adverts after the end of the article.

2 Likes

Apart from the story behind the Jurassic 5 and Beasties photos (I’d always wondered if that was a real store), the selected covers seem a bit weak, tbh.

3 Likes

The Hoffman site would eat this sort of stuff for breakfast and do a much better job with it.

2 Likes

The Beasties (perhaps) aside, that’s an incredibly feeble selection…

4 Likes

IMG_7677
The cake was made by Delia Smith before she became a household name.

6 Likes

I found this interesting.

2 Likes

As I am playing it currently.

“The album cover was designed by Storm Thorgerson and it features a warrior overlooking a landscape at the Gorges du Verdon in Provence, France. The costume was borrowed from the wardrobe of Ken Russell’s 1971 film The Devils and to this day, the identity of the person wearing the costume remains unknown. For many years, it is rumoured that the warrior is the main inspiration for the character design of Darth Vader in Star Wars . Andy Powell acknowledged this rumour although he himself cannot confirm if it is true.” WIKI.

2 Likes

Someone somewhere is missing a coal scuttle :wink:

1 Like

Obsessive attempt to find out where the photograph on the cover of the Grateful Dead’s Workingman’s Dead album was taken.

1 Like

AC/DC Let There Be rock
The international cover was based upon a photograph taken at the Southend Kursaal in 1977.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.