Storm Eunice

That Big Jet TV is utterly compelling. He’s got 190,000 watching right now. That guy Jerry has already been interviewed by BBC Rado 2 and has Channel 4 and ITV lined up. Amazing how those A380s are just being buffeted by these winds…

2 Likes

5 Likes

Call me mad, but I love flying during stormy conditions. Aircrafts can really have a lot of beating.

Thanks Mike, that’s compelling watching.

In my daughter’s garden just now. I’m going to get one of those “Dad!! Help me!” Phone calls a bit later I suspect.

5 Likes

Yes, like you @Simon-in-Suffolk I am terrified by the damage these storms can do. I remember the ridge tiles sliding down one by one in '87. Had to call the Fire Brigade. Touch wood in South London not too bad so far just a perspex pane popping out of greenhouse. Apparently will ease off in the South East by about 6-7pm

1 Like

Not sure, will ask the fitter and maybe even trim it to a 14 - as it appears I have a good line of sight to Wrotham.

I was fortunate enough to miss the 1987 storm. I was touring the west half of the USA at the time with a couple of buddies. I remember that the TV stations out there were full of coverage though, with a special focus on the infamous Michael Fish forecast footage.
The Americans seemed to find that very amusing I remember.
Hope you all keep safe.

1 Like

As expected the power went off shortly after I posted earlier on this thread and only just come back on again. However, Louby was like a quartz watch and knew that as soon as lunch was finished it was time to go for a walk. Feeling a slight lull in the wind I thought we’d go and check the fields and surrounding woods. Oh dear… 6 very large pines in one rather exposed wood have gone - two right out into the field so I’ll need to get the chainsaw onto them. Then as we walked back through the small wood up to the house an almighty gust and a sickening cracking noise and four big chestnuts dominoed their way over down right across our path. For a ghastly moment I thought Louby was right in the thick of it, but thankfully she was already past, leaving me to try to navigate my way around the last of them. A close one. The chainsaw will be very busy over the next few weeks, but at least we’ll have plenty more logs in 2-3 years time.

7 Likes

Pleased that you are both alright after your close call.

3 Likes

Glad you were not in the wrong place at the wrong time.

3 Likes

Take care of yourself Richard…

2 Likes

Could have been worse, at least you weren’t in the O2 arena!

2 Likes

From our weather station south of Gloucester.
Felt roof ripped off son-in-law’s man cave near Tamworth.

Phil

1 Like

The wind has now veered to westerly, meaning it’s more or less straight down the runway, so not as many planes having to go-around now. This mornings SSW wind was causing the go-around fun, side slipping, yawing & struggling to get speed & glide path right.

Thursday I signed the transfer for the land registry, Today the house clearance people were here and while they were at it with the front door propped open the wind lifted a cap off the chimney which dislodged three tiles on the way down.
Our target for completion was Tuesday but I don’t know if the exchange has happened yet.
Bugger!

1 Like

Just home from work down here in windswept Cornwall, lots of trees down and branches all over the road.
I live just under a mile from the beach at Crantock backing onto Cubert common so we get a real beating when it’s windy.
So far seem to have escaped with nothing more than 2 broken gutter clips, not getting up ladder to fix those yet as wind is still gusting in the 50’s.
Have managed to avoid any power outage so the tunes are playing… loudly to drown out the rattling gutter.

Take care out there everyone

My memory goes back to the January 1990 storm & my insurance brokerage office in Newquay Cornwall, situated on a main road in & out of the town, just 400yds from the sea on top of the cliffs.

Early indications suggest that this mornings storm was nowhere as severe as that. A retired partners wife owned a large caravan park near Crantock, @GrahamK, & most of the caravans were destroyed. One was blown & found nearly a mile away!

We had an entire years worth of claims in a single day & for the next month did little except deal with claims.

The thing I remember most vividly was something I had only seen in old 1920’s comedy films. There was a lamp post directly outside our office & a misguided sole was attempting to walk towards the sea front against the vicious prevailing wind. He struggled to get hold of the lamp post & was then blown horizontal, where on he clung on desperately for 5 seconds or so in mid air!

Note:- Cornwall was very lucky in 1987. The storm swept in over the Isle of Wight & headed east towards London & the South East, missing us completely by well over 100 miles.

2 Likes

A bus and cars stationary outside our house……a few people venturing outside to see what is happening. From our upstairs windows a huge evergreen has come down blocking the road, emergency crew clearing the road with chainsaws, shredders etc?

Several branches down over our track, took a little while to clear. 3 or 4 trees badly damaged, one down. A few tiles off the roof - now have to decide whether it is worth getting the insurance to look at paying for repairing the roof.