Strange network problem, or just a network novice’s stupidity?

Do you have your AV items connected via Ethernet AND WiFi? I may have misinterpreted but that could cause chaos. If connected via Ethernet (preferred if possible), then disable WiFi on the devices as your DHCP server (likely your router) may assign IP addresses to both networking interfaces.

Mark

1 Like

Hmmm good point. I haven’t deliberately connected via WiFi and Ethernet, the Sony TV and BluRay player auto detect a wired connection, but I can certainly check that WiFi is switched off on them to avoid any issues. I am using an app called Fing to detect what’s on the WiFi network but I honestly wouldn’t know how to go about troubleshooting a wired network, but Simon’s post above is a good start in that direction. So far, since I started this thread after the last interruption fixed itself, everything has been fine, but I have lots of things to try. Let’s see. I will report back any conclusions. I should probably offer a prize the the winning diagnostic, but really, thank you to everyone who’s bothered to comment.

My NAS is an Auralic Aries Mini (it switched from streamer to NAS duty when I got my 272). Not sure what background tasks it might be doing, but nothing I could see in the settings. My suspicion, based on suggestions here, is a bad connection somewhere. I am currently trying to isolate where using a longer wire from the router. It will take time though, as the problem was very intermittent and 95% of the time everything worked fine.

It almost sounds to me like an issue such as a network storm, remap the connections in your head and insure everything is connected correctly. I once connected a switch back to itself that was fun working out.

My other thought is what DNS you are using on your router, and what is the router, if its something delightfully supplied by your ISP why not treat yourself and your multi thousand pound equipment to something better than that 20 quid bottom of the barrel router?

Try changing your DNS from your ISP supplied to something like 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Do you have more than one DHCP server configured? Maybe one addtionally to the router on the NAS? This can disturb the whole network.

Thanks Garyi and Gert for the suggestions.
So far, just switching off the features I am not using (mainly WiFi/Bluetooth on the AV equipment) has meant that there have been no no further interruptions with everything now working via the wired network. Not sure if that’s just a coincidence of course, but next time there’s a problem, I have a lot of things to try! Thank you

Frequently, ISP-provided cable modems (with built in router and wifi) have DHCP turned on as default. This may appear to work at first but can cause all kinds of bizarre issues.

excellent - you might want to get an alternate wifi access point solution setup - there are plenty to choose from - as sooner or later you may well run into similar issues with other applications and services such as home automation etc

Thanks Simon. Streaming was supposed to be the easy option. I think I might investigate setting up my own turntable next :wink:

Good luck… I found my turn table infuriately finicky to keep optimum… it was such a faff and got in the way of music enjoyment and I sold it… inner groove distortion used to drive me round the bend.
In my experience the only truly straightforward formats are basic streaming (Smart phone client) and CD replay.

1 Like

My Origin Live needs no regular adjustment and music replay is clearly superior to my ND555. This is a bit unfortunate as I have some 4500 albums on my NAS vs 300 vinyl. I would love the streamer to better viny.

An essential tool when working with Ethernet cables is a cable tester. They are quite cheap.
Connect a sender to one end, connect the receiver to the other and watch the leds.

E.g. Incutex Ethernet Network tester LAN CAT5 CAT5E RJ45 RJ11 network cable tester patch cable tester https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009FXPB3O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_F1esEbVYASG7R

Hi Simon, what you said is very interesting. I have a Cisco Catalyst 2960 CG swich and would like to know how to see if there are connection problems on the various LAN cables. What should be used and what should be selected on the connected PC? Thank you

As far as connecting to the switch console port, try

At the link layer to see the stats for fast Ethernet port 1 you can type:
Show interface fa0/1

For a physical cable test

Step 1: Initiate the Cable Test

Type:
test cable-diagnostics tdr interface gig0/2

(substitute gig0/2 with the interface you wish to test)

Note: this will cause a brief outage while the interface bounces but shouldn’t be long enough to be noticed by users.

Step 2: View the results

To view the results:

Type:
show cable-diagnostics tdr interface gig0/2
(substitute gig0/2 with the interface you used in step 1)

There are many many diagnostics one can do for actual Ethernet protocols as well.

For heaven’s sake, all is well, but for me it is Arabic! :sob:

2 Likes

:roll_eyes:??
Hopefully that is helpful, as that is what you asked for…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.