Stream Apple Music Lossless

Yes it’s an older iPad Pro but fully compatible with current iPadOS and Apple Music hi-res. I hence need a different adapter.

I’d forgotten I’d bought lightning>USB ages ago and bought the same adapter a few months ago in error - Apple Store very helpful when I asked if I could pay the difference for lightning>USB 3.0 camera kit with charging port in exchange for the unopened duplicate.

1 Like

I keep finding Apple adapters/dongles which are unused - my son has a newer iPad Pro with USB C port - he wants a headphone adapter but most I have are lightning to 3.5mm socket, yesterday I found a USB C>3.5mm adapter!

1 Like

Funny. I have a Luna dongle I’ve never opened, an iPhone charger never opened…yeah…collections…

1 Like

I think 2012 MM is fine with USB, I am using it running HQ Player outputting 384/24.

Interesting option, but unfortunately as far as Apple Music goes it requires a more modern macOS than my Mini supports to allow hi-ress or lossless from Music app when using Apple Music. For other sources over optical (or USB/HDMI) it should work though.

You can route audio from the latest apple music to hq player using free open software (black hole on git hub), but it is a bit complicated and may not be worthwhile for you since you already have everything you need.

FYI: black hole

Regarrding the apple music lossless streaming, this apple answer can be useful.

1 Like

(Apple) Adapter should be the same for all Lightning devices.

If you iPad has USB-C, it should be able to provide much more power (so, short term, a single adapter should be sufficient).
If you want to power the iPad as well, any powered USB-hub with appropriate ports/cables should do.

Hey, I’m surprised to discover the Topping also is processing my streaming video sound. I usually use bluetooth with Amazon Prime video, and just started movie and was shocked when the sound came on before I tabbed bluetooth. So my setting is still on digital 1 rather than BT

Today there was an update for streamers? I guess…included the Nova. After the update, now with the USB-A from the Mac into the Topping, Topping into digital input on Nova; now I get the title of the movie on the Nova screen! No artwork, I thought that was only sound.

Well I tell you: I cannot believe the service this store provides. As I’d mentioned here I carelessly originally bought the white Topping rather than the black. It’s an easy return on Amazon, but they contacted me to see what the reason for the return was. One of those annoying after transaction messages. I’m bored so I answered and said I loved the product but bought the wrong color. They loved my answer and asked me to review it and link them to it. After they saw my review they again messaged me to thank me. I answered “hey I think I sold a couple for you so where’s my commission?” I was joking. They sent me $10 + tax! I couldn’t believe it. Just happened. And no…that wasn’t planned.

So…I’d say you can feel pretty confident buying a Topping from these people.

And a note on the Topping D10s: I have a Sanyo 1080 that isn’t really new. I play the TV audio
through the analog in on the Nova when the source is my iPhone streaming or the TV box (which I’ve now eliminated.) But now I have the Mini Mac connected to the Topping to the Nova and when I play video (Apple TV+ or Amazon Prime or whatever) through the Mac to sound now is processed through to Topping. I started a program and was shocked when the audio began. I’d been using bluetooth to the Nova from the Mac.

Have you been using the Topping yet?

Yes, initial impressions not great to be honest, but I need to check a possible USB issue.

1 Like

And the king said - I only want a little bit of AirPlay lossless for my bread - …
The dairy maid said - fancy and begging your pardon but Some people prefer Topping instead…

Sorry for the mangled nursery rhyme🙂
As an interim while waiting for apple lossless via airplay I have installed a wired a topping from my iPhone to my nd5 xs2 and onward to an sn3. All works and sound is better (clearer more open) when compared to apple lossy AirPlay. Shows well on Sinatra at the Sands in 44.1 good sense of being there. As the topping is passing the digital signal via coaxial it is still the nd5’s Dac that is doing the conversion to analogue so still has a Naim sound imho. Hi res hotel California was a little disappointing and not too dissimilar to Tidal or Apple Music via airplay on the nd5. The higher resolutions and lossless across Diana Krall, Simon and Garfunkel and and Sinatra do as an overall comment allow the vocalist to sound more human - often less perfect but more involving for the listener. So I am pleased for now but more than anything it has increased my anticipation for when Apple get their act together and I can stream directly to the nd5.

1 Like

I’m comparing playing an album using my Mac Mini from Qobuz through my Naim app (which is Chromecast and thus artwork displayed on Nova screen) versus playing it through the Qobuz app through the digital input on the Nova (and hence the screen displays Digital #.) In the first example casting, the Topping remains at whatever rate the Mac is set at. Also, if the Nova is set at whatever input, when you select a song in the Naim app and play the input there in the Naim app changes. But set the input to (i.e.) digital 3 and select and play from the Qobuz app and the Topping display changes to reflect the piece playing. So comparing the same song, one through Naim app casting and the other from the Qobuz app though the Topping. Have you done this?

Just to clarify once again, the Naim App does not use Chromecast.

Really struggling to understand why anyone would stream Qobuz in the complex way you describe above!

1 Like

If not Chromecast, what is it? So cast somehow…versus playing a wired connection. The set-up is to play Apple hi res, but I just wanted to see. And the discovery is, when playing Apple through the Topping the rate is controlled by the Mac. When playing the Qobuz app (but not the Naim App) the rate is matched and thus displayed on the Topping (matched to the piece playing.)

It’s not a ‘cast’ - casting is when you send content from a device (phone/tablet/computer) to a music system or TV. Chromecast and AirPlay are the two best known examples of casting over wi-fi.

Systems such as Naim have streaming services integated within them, so they pull content directly from those services’ servers. The App is merely a controller, telling the Naim system what to go and find/play - your phone/tablet/computer is doing nothing else other than sending that instruction.

That applies the same if you’re using Spotify Connect (via the Spotify App), TIDAL Connect (via the TIDAL App), Qobuz (within the Naim App) or TIDAL (within the Naim App.)

3 Likes

Do you have a Mac computer to try?

Thank you for taking to time to explain to me…I’m sorry. I’m still trying to figure out where the little people come from that live in my TV set…

1 Like

:bulb::bulb::bulb:CASTING !!! Now I know. So If I get this right basically I like the sound when the nd5 xs2 is doing all the work with tidal on board and the nd5 xs2 doing the streaming / transport and Dac?

1 Like

I do have a MacBook M1. Only just managed to get the app on. I was looking in the App Store under Naim audio ltd which strangely only had the n-serve app when I first looked. Searching just Naim put me right.