Streamer disappears from App

Chris,
I am sure most people do not install data over power without good reason, but they do provide a wired connection.

I have looked at installing an external ethernet cable around the perimeter of the house. But I have a secondary problem which is a networked printer upstairs on the opposite side of the building. Sorting the hi-fi link is no good if you still have adapters elsewhere on the power network.

I have not experienced noise, affect on SQ and will add to that a lack of connectivity issues. In my IT experience wired is an absolute must if possible.

On Naim support to the contrary I suggest that if wireless-related connectivity issues were avoided then this Naim forum would be a lot smaller.

1 Like

This right here, is a gimmick.

2 Likes

Hi Paul, I do repect that once one finds a solution that works there is little incentive to move on from it. I think that wireless networks have moved on considerably though, and the mesh systems that have emerged in the last few years really do give good, reliable connections. If you have a basic, cheap router from your ISP then yes, WiFi can be unreliable, but so can proper wired Ethernet if badly implemented.

It happens less often for me now as well. Hitting the iRadio button or any of the iRadio presets on the remote will bring the room back but it does take a while for my setup, can be several minutes. It takes less time to power cycle the streamer.

I have a sub-net to ensure performance, resilience, control, and continuity whatever the ISP does.

No matter how good the network or mesh system is it is the bits that hang off them that are the problem.
Wireless works well until it doesn’t.

1 Like

Very probably. But fun to look at. Not enough reason to buy one despite that.

This is completely misleading, the noise from PLA devices is from not the devices themselves, so reducing RFI from the device itself is kind of meaningless to the actual RFI produced. By design these devices create many many RF carriers on the mains… this how they work. The mains trunking / wiring and appliances are not designed to mitigate such the emissions caused by these broad band RF carriers, and therefore the carriers cause electromagnetic radiation from the main wiring and even appliances … in other words it turns your mains wiring into a very large broadband antenna system emitting usually near field radiation.
Luckily they have fallen out of favour now, as modern wifi devices and protocols are more advanced compared to when PLA first surfaced many years ago. Also the PLA devices don’t operate Ethernet, they act as a kind of Ethernet bridge, and these days unless simple usage on the home network this is probably best avoided.
Disclosure I was involved with a group liaising with Ofcom and the EU on this matter several years ago.

1 Like

Not sure a sub net will do that for you. A router with WAN and WAN failover perhaps?

A subnet has nothing to do with resilience……

Every current home network consists of at least one or more subnets using RFC1918… otherwise nothing would work using IP. Your DHCP server provides ip4 addresses within your subnet … such as a 192.168.1.0 subnet address, with a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask. (Which defines your subnet allowing upto 254 addresses for devices)
You (well your router) defines your subnet with a subnet address and a subnet mask.

We all have different experiences, and perhaps that is yours, but while I too have had bad experiences with WiFi in the past using mediocre, mostly ISP supplied hardware, I no longer find it to be unreliable, or inferior to wired Ethernet.

@30hertz this is not with iPhone right? I don’t see there is an ability to do this on iPhone, only deleting the app will achieve this.

Yes, Android. Not.used on iPhone.

1 Like

I have a (small) bit of news …
a) I have tried all the software suggestions of changing setting on the App
b) I have not tried any extra hardware (including a really long ethernet cable) yet
c) The streamer disappeared from the App yesterday and pressing buttons on the NDX and ditto on the remote did nothing
d) I ran Fing (an App that analyses networks) and it could still see the NDX. I ran the Ping option on Fing and the NDX reappeared on the App.
e) I see this as a solution as it does not involve trying to get at the back of the rack to switch the NDX on and off.
This is progress.
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.
[Maybe I could set up something to send Ping messages to the NDX everyday … I will investigate]

1 Like

Great. I’m still getting the same thing at least once a day - cycling to iradio always seems to fix it, but it’s annoying! I’ll definitely give this a go.

I was playing a ripped CD today and the App froze but playback continued (It was a 25min classical track).

I rang Fing (the free version on my android phone) and ran Ping for the streamer. It reported 3% package loss. I ran it again and it was 0% package loss and the App saw the streamer again.

The playback continued during all this without a glitch (strange!!).

But I think I now have a solution without having to get at the back of the rack to switch things on and off.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful comments. This has been going a long time and I see I started the thread back in May and it is now August.

1 Like

FWIW, I recently swapped out my cheapo 5-year old ISP router for a latest spec WiFi 6 model. WiFi speed and range are better by a surprising degree, but also network dropouts on the (ethernet-connected) NDS are noticeably less frequent (but alas, not zero).

Maybe worth a try in cases where an ageing router could be compounding the problem…

One of the settings in the App is “Stay Connected”. Not sure if this would affect your NDX but maybe worth a try?

I actually have the “Stay connected” setting already set. But thanks for the suggestion.
I have upgraded to the new App and it makes no difference. The streamer still disappears. But I can get it working again by pressing buttons on the front panel and/or the remote control and then sending it a “Ping” signal.

1 Like

The stay connected setting is not the issue. It’s a firmware problem.

1 Like

Yes it does.
When Virgin does a reset, has a network issue etc. as happened recently my Asus sub router and network carries on and does not reset any device connections.
OK I will lose Qobuz or Internet radio that are Internet dependant, but the local network, NAS and streamer continues to work uninterrupted.
Hence it is more resilient in my experience.
The Asus sub-router is more reliable and devoid of issues than the Virgin hub.
Maybe this arrangement coupled with my wired network is the reason I do not suffer from “disappearing devices”.