Streaming - cheap - can it be done?

The 272 doesn’t have Qobuz support, so you would need to use workarounds from the outset to get it working. Also the OP already has a preamp, so a standalone streamer would be more appropriate.

As others have said, as with most things, including TT it’s cheap to get going, but to finesse it can cost a lot more.
Initial streaming with a Sonos, or if you have a DIY bent, a Raspberry Pi as a transport can be good connecting to a DAC of your choice.
You can even use an iPhone or iPad via a USB connector into a good USB DAC like an Audioquest Cobalt. That is incredibly performant for the money. This combo will let you do full MQA decode if that tickles your fancy… works with many streaming service apps like Qobuz and Tidal, and work with Roon.

If and when you want to improve things… there are two key aspects… the transport and DAC. Both are equally important… and you pay for what you want.
I use Naim streaming transports, as currently they are some of the best out there in my opinion, but there is large choice.

1 Like

I have decidet to go the real cheapo way and buy a Yamaha Wxad-10

If I like streaming - I can go all inn later
Perhaps selling the CDX2.

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.

6 Likes

When I first decided to renew my interest in hifi and got my 72/HiCap/250 serviced by the factory, I bought one of these to see what all the fuss was about with this streaming malarky, figuring that £120 (which is what it cost me brand new) was worth a punt. I was blown away. So much so that I only decided to replace it with a NDX2 & XPSdr when a couple of bargains popped up.

1 Like

Good choice, they sound quite good and are reliable. I use one in our Conservatory.

It will be no match for your CDX2, but you realise that already.

1 Like

I like the idea of going down the pub…

I was in a similar situation to you and thought about the Yamaha and the cheap Rega, which was discontinued. In the end I found a s/h Auralic Aries Mini which plugs straight into the 252 and has been fine. I have an Apple subscription so the files are not hi res but I can now check out new music (and indeed some old music that I was interested in but never could hear) played through my hifi. I decided that given the streaming source that it wasn’t worth paying for higher quality. The SQ is significantly below the turntable and CD player but it’s perfectly listenable.

1 Like

I’ve finally got round to getting a wi fi extender so I can try streaming through my main stereo system which is upstairs in my man cupboard. The 2 options I have are 1) chromecast audio- which I tried earlier and was disappointed to see it can only play hi fi and not master on tidal, and 2) I can plug an iPad and iPod into a USB port on my marantz CD player, which should enable me to play tidal master quality from my iPad. Both those options are cheap but fiddly, if I do decide to take it more seriously I think I would go for the node bluesound which has great reviews.

Sold my CDX2 today.

Now…

Yamaha is working fine, for the price, but…

There is both a NDX and a Naim Dac-V1, on the local market almost similar priced.

Yamaha has no digital out so DAC V1 no good.

Well.
The NDX had a broken display, as it turned out.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.