Streaming so the quality is on par with local storage

Sources?

So not your quote but someone else. I didn’t initially see your quote marks so apologies. However, that someone else couldn’t upload his evidence. Convenient.

———
Reminds me of a sketch with Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse.

‘Bloke down the pub said!

‘Oh! Bloke said did he? Well it must be true then!’

1 Like

Yes not me who said it,but can be an explanation why accurately ripped CD’s on local storage ,sounds better than streaming …

But not everyone agrees with that. I don’t. Maybe for you because you have a legacy streamer, but the quality of streaming has come a long way since then.

3 Likes

I have tried it with newer streamers also.
Of course everything is personal opinions.

I have then a question to @Gazza : you have the top of the range Melco server. Is generally streaming files from it gives better sound than Qobuz hires online ?

I barely heard any difference between streaming and local streaming using Naim amps. Demoing other amps has shown it’s very amp dependent.

Then maybe something is wrong with your music system or the setup is not right.

1 Like

Assuming his profile is up to date he has a NDX, and that might explain why he likes ripped local storage better. The legacy network players stengths are not for streaming remote content. The NDX2 is a significant improvement in that regard.

3 Likes

Thanks, that explains it, but I disagree with his post spreading some sort of an unverified rumor about the Qobuz hires streaming, maybe it is a joke, but it is not that nice.

5 Likes

Yeah, without direct evidence I don’t buy the Qobuz “24BIT ARE FAKE” claim. People say all kinds of stuff on the internet, but that doesn’t make it true. It also doesn’t mean that people who think they have evidence actually have correct data or are making valid interpretations of that perceived evidence.

3 Likes

Your analogue rig will always be better. That should never be a part of any debate.
Better than “good streaming” is certainly not about SQ (especially compared to your bespoke kit), but rather user optionality, flexibility, curiosity, music library expansion, new music exploration, global internet radio, music library organization, ease of use, inclusion of family and friends, and watching in real time as content continues to get better and SQ continues to increase.

But, hey, if you want to sit in a room by your self and listen to the same album for 30 minutes and you are wearing a Cheshire Cat grin the entire time….then, please, return to your solace and not give it another thought.

Cheers.

3 Likes

I don’t think it was part of the debate here, was it?

2 Likes

I’m surprised… In the past it’s always been Front end first or Source first… So get an excellent Renderer or Streamer: Aurender N200 or in my case Auralic Aries G 2.2 Where’s Simon or Hairy Halibut when you need them proponents of source first!

The OP could try the Raspberry Pi 4 + Ropieee as a streamer, there is quite a few forum members who are having a good result with it, and it costs almost nothing, just need to search this forum or the Roon community forum.

1 Like

I also have an NDS. The NDS will play hi-res files locally from a NAS or similar, but because of the smaller buffer on the legacy streamers, an NDS will not stream hi-res from Tidal or Qibuz. The most it will stream is CD quality which reads as 1411 or there abouts while playing thru the Naim App.

The Dac in the NDS is superior to the Dacs in both the NDX2 and ND5XS2 as per many experienced opinions on this forum, but as others have posted, the legacy streaming boards are an issue.
I will be adding a pre-owned ND5XS2 to my NDS in the future as it can be controlled nicely thru the Naim System Automation and of course Qobuz will then be available as will hi-res files thru Tidal.

Other capable streamers are available, but I don’t believe they will show up on the Naim App and you will have to control it with it’s remote, I suppose.
Anyway, food for thought … best of luck with whatever you decide.

2 Likes

In my system streaming (which still sounds great keep in mind) lags behind my ripped CDs stored on my Innuos Zen Mini. Of course that begs the question: is that because local files sound better or is due to the mix/mastering of the CDs being better than the modern versions? Probably a combo of the two but it’s hard to empirically say outright.

I’m sure with enough $$$ outlay I could achieve parity but my primary listening is vinyl which betters digital by an order of magnitude. Those funds could be better spent upgrading other parts of the system or simply buying more records.

2 Likes

No, Everest is actually bigger than Scafell Pike.

3 Likes

Not if you have a bad TT and phono stage and an excellent streamer/dac set up with excellent LAN.

3 Likes

Most definitely, a more natural sound, Qobuz sounds harsh by comparison.

2 Likes