Streaming - they said it was all simple

@obsydian, the best connectivity is with the PurePower USB plugged into a USB port that can charge it when you are not playing music (in my case the nDAC rear USB). Does the Nova have a USB? The Audiophilleo then receives data only from the Innuos.

I hope you get the improvement you are looking for. I got mine from a company based near St Andrews.

Phil

Hi @Filipe yes think that’s the company I’m talking to…
i thought the USB goes into the server and then the BNC to the Nova.

The Audiophilleo + PurePower comes with a short USB cable for connecting between the Audiophilleo and the PurePower purely to charge the PurePower in a daisy chain mode off the input data cable.

The other mode is as I described above and was recommended by Audiophilleo when I had a problem with the PurePower not charging.

Phil

I read up but to be honest it wasnt clear to me, from what I understood, was the two leads to connect both boxes to each other.

Then a USB lead into the Innuos server USB in my setup and then another lead using the BNC to Naim Nova.

The special short screw-on lead connects the PurePower battery to the Audiophilleo. They don’t provide the music USB cable. Just use the provided BNC to BNC coupler meaning the Audiophilleo sits on the back of the Nova.

So the USB into the Innuos Server and then the Audiophilleo direct BNC/BNC into the Nova ?

I have ordered one, maybe due tomorrow

Yes, use the BNC to BNC connector. You will need a computer peripheral USB cable and I only use a cheap one. Audiophilleo were not encouraging me to buy an expensive audio one. I expect you will have 28 days sale or return. I hope it gives you what you want.

Phil

Yes the dealer was very helpful, even suggesting lesser cost options and alternatives, I said I’m set on the Audiophilleo believe it also has some Naim link.

IF the Audiophilleo delivers then I have no need for the ethernet cable, although I was looking at USB cables today :shushing_face:

1 Like

Yes - an Audiophilleo interface was used in the DAC V1.

1 Like

Really dumb question I still have to connect my Nova via ethernet ?

Ah figured it, selected the Nova digital BNC input, then I have to use Roon to control the Audiophilleo, Zenith and Nova.

First impressions vs my SR Ethernet, disappointed not the major WOW I have read about, yes for sure more analogue sounding and more atmospheric details, that just hang in the background.

I need to update the firmware is 1.35 to 1.36, and listen more, but so far :-1:

@Filipe assume this is correct?

A pain now I have to manually turn on the Nova, I did like how Roon controlled it all, also shock horror I get no album work just a dull digital input sign.

Yep thats correct. You get none of the decent suff that way. I always thought that RAAT connection direct to Nova would be better. It might help elevate the Innuos USB out, but compared to a decoupled server/endpoint it obviously has not. Roon have always said this is the best way to get max out of it separate server/core and endpoint. You would think they know there product better.

Well just comfort yourself that the Nova display is not wearing out! nDAC doesn’t have one. You should be hearing the sound of the Nova. You now have to decide what you want.

Ok a good hour listening, overall I feel the Audiophilleo has transformed pretty much everything, but in one of them sounds sublime and effortless. Even the sound in the hallway and next room sounds clear and crystal.

I felt before the Nova had been squeezed enough, but it’s a cracking one box, I think the Audiophilleo let’s it shine even more, but I would concede a more capable (or is it expensive) DAC/Streamer would excel even more.

I’ve spent over two decades increasing boxes and I would say all aside from Mana supports and going active where subtle enhancements, yes even 82 to 52, but all these little parts add up to a better presentation.

The Server and this Audiophilleo for me are big shifts (upgrades), I still believe the GIGO principle applies, in this case best rip, server and input to the Nova, mean it’s less stressed and gets on with the boogie.

My thought is the Zenith is shining brightly now.

I was a USB short so raided the cupboards and found some iffy USB with the bendy A end, I am sure the cable has an influence, even Audiophilleo used a Wireworld Violet.

THE BAD
Makes using tidy Roon a pain now, as for Nova power up I use the Naim app, then Roon, then I’ve realised after going into standby three times the Audiophilleo loses connection with either the Server or Nova, a major pain.

Sometimes jumping tracks it seems to miss the first split second, odd.

THE GOOD
Air - it’s not an inky black background now, its details just floating, I always chased inky blacks now it seems so wrong.

Subtle - Very minor details now gel with the main singer and instruments, very organic.

Bass depth - The bloom has gone and I thought I had already reduced it, the result a solid yet textured bass line(s).

Timing - Perfect.

Vocals - I had been using Roon the follow lyrics recently and noticed how muffled main and backing vocals where, now there is no effort crystal clear and backing vocalists come in and out beautifully.

A track by Banks (Contaminated) made me think my speakers had blown before, a shriek type bass line, but now akin to a bolt of lightning.

Qobuz/Tidal - I was getting allot of errors with Qobuz (track not available) swapped to Tidal, solid.

MQA - Damn sounds so personal, the 88khz 24bit is pretty amazing, I’d say its bit rate not that MQA nonsense.

You can’t have 88.2/24 mqa without mqa nonsense or you’d just get 44.1 from it.

That’s what it showed in Roon it was MQA

1 Like

So a change of USB cable made that much difference from your first impressions?

Then you have mqa nonsense, although only half of it. :wink: