Stuck a Linear Power Supply on My Switch - Blimey! šŸ˜±

Yes, trying cat 6,7,8 and a few seemingly audio ones did show further differences the later cat 7,8 being the best value, I have an old very good one which was bettered by the 7 and 8 spec cables

1 Like

No, a patch chord or lead is the term usually used for Ethernet connection of devices that are not infrastructure or could be easily changed/unplugged etc
Our hifi usually uses patch chords. Whether they are fibre, twisted pair, cost 50p or Ā£500 they are patch chords or patch leads.
An Ethernet patch lead is akin to an IEC mains lead.

The Ethernet cabling built into your house terminating into room patch sockets or panels in the wall would not be patch cables, they are usually referred as structured wiring, and can have different cabling requirements

1 Like

Hello.
A bit of the topic. I have node ( coax to ndac/ps ) the ps of node was broken. I replaced it with interface ( pd creative 80 e ) and builded linear ps from a.m.b pcb and constructions. Now the sound is great and i listen much more music.
Regards Hannu

1 Like

The Ground Aray was delivered by Royal Mail this morning as advised.

I must admit that the purchase experience from this dealer has been excellent.

Good price, paid by PayPal. Plenty of emails confirming order and status. Email confirming Tracking details. Email from Royal Mail last night confirming that they had received the package. Email from Royal Mail this morning confirming delivery time slot. Royal Mail delivered within time slot. Email from Royal Mail confirming delivery

Now to plug it in and see what happens.

DGā€¦

1 Like

Glad that things worked out so well DG.

Yes give it a whirl and do get back with your thoughts!

1 Like

We use an iFi PowerX on our final switch (Netgear GS105D running in low power mode).
We tried:
The original SMPS
iFi Power 2
iFi Power X
and the Power X won hands down:

4 Likes

Interesting. But Iā€™m a bit confused. You state:

Also have you ever tried the iFi Elite?

1 Like

Look at the results for the GS105E, further down in that post.

With the standard GS105 switch, the improvement was marginal; however, with the GS105E L2 managed switch the difference was much greater.

No, Iā€™ve not tried a iFi Power Elite.

5 Likes

I used an iFi Elite for a year or so on my EE8 Switch. It was good but now Iā€™m using a Fared Super3 and like part of the title of this thread ā€œBlimey!!!ā€ itā€™s good.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve found the Elite to be really good on my router. I tried it on my NAS device and it really wasnā€™t good, horrible in fact, on my TP-Link router however, very good.

3 Likes

Iā€™m using an iFI iPower X on my BT Smart Hub 2 router and I believe it gives a small uplift over the supplied SMPS.

I suspect however that further improvement could be had from a decent LPS on the BT SH2 like another Farad Super 3. Part of me also thinks this might be a bit OTT.

Any experience out there with a decent LPS powering a BT Smart Hub 2?

1 Like

I tried a MCRU LPS on mine. As Iā€™ve described elsewhere, total disaster. Initial huge improvement followed by gradual degradation until the stock SMPS was easily superior. I canā€™t really explain this - but Iā€™ve tried twice, months apart, with the same result.

Iā€™m curious. How did you get your iFI power X to fit the BT SH2? The BT hub has an unusual DC input size that I just couldnā€™t source a plug for. To order the MCRU LPS I had to buy a spare BT SMPS, cut off the cable/plug assembly and send it to them to use.

2 Likes

thereā€™re adapters available

Yes, but which one specifically and where do you get them?

I couldnā€™t source the correct size for the BT HH2, which I beleve is 5.5mm OD x 3mm ID. The iFI supply I once bought came with a set of adapters but didnā€™t include one that fitted the BT Hub so I sent it back.

Could I ask where you obtained your adapter from and is it the correct official size? Apparently there is an easily available adapter of a slightly different size that will fit but it is very tight.

1 Like

I usually buy a set on Amazon and something from it fits

Didnā€™t work for me on the BT hub. There was one that seemed close, but with a very tight fit. The hub wouldnā€™t actually switch on with this adaptor tip installed, however. As stated above, BT are using some kind of non-standard DC socket, probably to stop the use of non-approved power supplies.

If anyone does know of an adaptor tip that fits and actually works, Iā€™d be very interested to hear about it.

2 Likes

search www for Power Adapters UK
They have every combo you need. Find whatever size/fit your PS jack (plug) is that goes ā€œtoā€ the correct size for the BT Smart Hub 2 which is 5.5mm x 3mm, also keep in mind the BT SH2 is centre pin +

1 Like

Iā€™m currently sitting listening to the effects of a Chord Ground Array (RJ45 type) that Iā€™ve borrowed. Itā€™s now plugged into my BT hub 2. I must admit that I half expected a nice uplift in performance. However, I have to report that itā€™s actually slightly worse. Not sure why but I can definitely hear a loss of high frequency detail when itā€™s in situ. Itā€™s like all the leading edges on instruments have been rubbed off and the image softened. Itā€™s a subtle effect but noticeable enough for the wife to hear. As soon as I take it out of the router everything pops back into focus. Interestingly, I plugged it into one of the EE8 ports and the effect is even worse. Now I know Chordā€™s ground arrays are not supposed to be a filter but that exactly the effect I seem to be getting. It reminds me of when I plugged a Russ Andrews filter into my ring main and the effect that had.

Iā€™ve also an EE1 on loan but not had a chance to try it yet. Iā€™m going to leave the ground array in place for a few more days to see if itā€™s a burn in thing but Iā€™m not holding out much hope.

I will admit to being a bit underwhelmed by the Chord demonstration at the Bristol show. They made a lot of changes to power leads, power blocks, cables, switches, isolators etc. some of which I thought made their system sound better and some that made it sound worse. It certainly wasnā€™t a universal improvement as they went through their products even though they thought it was.

3 Likes

From memory I bought a couple of sets of DC plug converters online and eventually found one that fits.

2 Likes