Stuck a Linear Power Supply on My Switch - Blimey! 😱

He should be alright he has good ears😉

2 Likes

How do you find the puritan 156?

I have my EE8 fed via a cat 6a cable directly from the router and it sits on a Supra Lo block which is fed by a Puritan mains cable and a DC blocker between that and the mains wall socket.

I’ve then got my Naim system on a separate music works ultra G3 block.

As I said in my previous post I didn’t notice much improvement when I added my MCRU PSU but equally I changed a lot all at once which is a bit of an own goal as it’s hard to isolate any changes/improvements in sound.

1 Like

I am just enjoying what the Farad is doing on my EtherREGEN. Absolutely no inclination to put back the stock SMPS.

7 Likes

:crazy_face:

1 Like

I burnt mine :smile::smile::smile:

4 Likes

I should have consulted too when I found the top MRCU lps upgrading considerably the sound quality of my ex Etheregen, vs the stock SMPS. But the Uptone lps that I tried before was sounding slower and less involving vs the SMPS. So the stock SMPS was not bad at all and needed a much more expensive lps to be outperformed. ( however easily with the MCRU).

I tried an MCRU LPS on my BT Smart Hub 2 and it was total cr*p. Far worse than the BT supplied SMPS.

If I were you I would revert back to the Chord supplied SMPS (which I also use). You may well find that, if you’ve been using the LPS for a while, you now notice a worthwhile improvement by doing so. Chord advise against the use of LPS’s on their switches on the grounds taht they are not fast enough. Network Acoustics say much the same in relation to their high-end switch.

1 Like

That’s what happened to me. Used the Farad Super3 LPS on the EE8, which sounded good.

Swapped back the Chord stock EE8 SMPS and it was much better. More PRaT, music was much more engaging and toe-tapping.

Looks like Chord were correct in their choice of PS.

DG….

3 Likes

Clearly it appers that not all LPS’s are created equal.

If one has the financial resources to experiment, and also the inclination and patience, then all well and good. I have neither I’m afraid. Got my fingers burned once and that was enough for me.

My approach has now changed - reducing noise by other methods, such as the Chord EE8 switch and EE1 isolator and their mains blocks and Power Array. Results so far have been excellent for me and worth the not inconsiderable expense.

I’m currently in the process of evaluating something else with my router. I don’t want to say anything yet but I’m really very excited about the results which have moved things forward musically to a surprising degree.

3 Likes

Yup, me too. The Farad is streets ahead. Enjoy.

4 Likes

Why do epic tales of network and cable tweekary always remind me of Father Ted? :innocent:

3 Likes

And its the same for SMPS, not all are created equal.
All SMPS units will emit some level of switching frequency noise on the DC output and also back into the 230vAC power supply.
SMPS switching frequency is typically from 50KHz to 3MHz.
LPS also emit noise, this is from the regulators and also will be something from the power supply frequency 50Hz (60Hz in NA)
The various effects of this noise (or ripple) is depent on the design of the PSU, how well the noise/ripple is supressed and how the noise/ripple interacts with its load device.
In all cases its try it for yourself on your own equipment, YMMV.
Meanwwhile I’ll stick with my medi-grade SMPS on the Cisco & the stock BT SH-2, plus a herd of well trained ferrites.

2 Likes

Yes quite. Apart from the offerings by iFi Audio there seems to be little choice. The BT SH2 has an odd DC plug size requirement anyway that is unobtainable.

I’m wary of anything from iFi since I tried one of their mains purifiers once and it destroyed the music.

Russ Andrews make one but again I’m wary.

One curious thing. Your situation is different as you’re using ferrites but I used to have the DC leads to my BT HUb and fibre box neatly bundled up with wire ties. Out of interest I took these off and let the wires just lie unbundled and free. It looks untidy but sound noticeably better!

1 Like

Maybe having them tied together causes some induced crosstalk noise.
And maybe hanging loose with a separation between them fixed that.

In my case, apart from the ferrites, the DC cables only run for 25cm together in a small conduit alongside the BT line and any excess outside the conduit is rolled into separate coils with cable ties. These together with the excess BT line and some ethernet live on the floor under the NAS/UPS cabinet. Under cabinet I take care not to have cables run alongside each other as much as possible.

1 Like

Have you tried the TP series of LPS’s for network devices (12V single rail, small amperage, optimized for Routers/switches, etc.)?

No i haven’t. I do have a iFi Elite on my TP-Link AC2100 router though, which i thought was a considerable improvement over the stock wall-wart SMPS, especially when streaming from Hi-Res Internet Radio & Tidal. It certainly gives my NAS device a run for its money when i’m local streaming.

2 Likes

I use one of those on my router.
Works well.

1 Like

Just wondering… what if one has no portable radio? Can a walkie-talkie do the same job? Or maybe there are other simple methods as well…

It might work but I doubt it will be that effective
You need an AM band radio, I used a cheap old Sony portable.
Sad to say it was junked a few years ago,

That said, my house is now 100% full of LED lighting that all have internal SMPS’s, plus 3 TV’s, kitchen radio, Hive heating controls, laptops, tablets & cell phones, I’ve lost count of the SMPS’s in the house, and I’ve stopped obsessing aboout it.

2 Likes

A cheap portable radio from ebay would do it. Anything that has AM should work.

1 Like