Stuck a Linear Power Supply on My Switch - Blimey! 😱

My agenda is rock n roll!

1 Like

What about PN - I have to ask :blush:
I had compared ee8 plus farad with PN - but had not given farad the chance to burn in long - had it for 10 days I think

1 Like

Different Drago. Only you can decide which is “better”. I like both very much used solo or combined in either order. Best for my tastes and system is EE8/ SMPS cascading into PN via BJC and Chord Music Streaming cable from PN into ND555. Making an absolute judgement on something very subjective seems nonsensical IMO and I feel that changes in sound from switches and Ethernet cables are not so easy to critique with short listening tests. It took me a good while and swapping around to come to my final config.

5 Likes

Not managed to winkle the PN off my dealer yet but I will definitely try to get it.

The Farad is back to sounding pretty uninspiring this morning, all thick and dull. Yesterday it was sounding utterly sublime for around two hours. It’s difficult to get a real taste of what it’s going to do until it reaches some sort of stability but if it ends up like it was sounding yesterday I will be very happy. It was at that point where the speakers just melt away and you get sucked into the performance.

I’m also surprised at the tonal difference between two linear supplies and what they seem to emphasis. The Farad seems to bring a richer and more full bodied sound to the music while the cheaper supply is a bit thinner and now sounds slightly crude by comparison. I’d still really like to hear the DC3 but it’s a bit of a pain to get hold of one to try.

3 Likes

I had bought a lhy 25 last year after forum recommendation by… :rofl:
There was a huge difference between lhy and farad!
Farad much more full bodied !
And dc3 was even better with body any gave a bit warmer (analoge) sound, but missing a bit of HF sparkle. PN was best of both worlds.
But - my system and all different not better :blush:

2 Likes

We have a fairly technical background, and we don’t understand it either.

All we will say is that there are substantial differences in the frequency distribution of things like common mode noise, output voltage ripple, and response time to current demand.
As for which has what effect in any specific circumstances: :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

This sort of mirrors what the MCRU LPS did when I tried it on my BT Smart Hub 2. At first I was blown away - a substantial improvement and a no-brainer. Then it was up and down for weeks unitl it finally settled to sounding completely uninspiring with not a hint of the initial magic. Substituting it then with the BT supplied SMPS was a massive improvement with all the PRAT, dynamics and musicality coming back. I can’t explain why it sounded so good at the start and so bad later - and it was months later so I can’t believe that it wasn’t sufficiently well burned-in by then.

I’ve been using the other LPS and Sigma lead for a couple of months and it’s sounded remarkably stable. I’m pretty certain the drop off is just the burn in phase. Farad are pretty clear in their description of what you will hear as the power supply develops. They say the first ten hours will give you a taste of what it will sound like then the next two to ten days it will go through the burn-in phase resulting in very variable sound quality. The variability should gradually reduce until it becomes relatively stable. They say this should happen at around 250 hours or so.

At this point I will say that the combination of the Sigma and linear power supply is now quite a lot better than the Catsnake and SMPS. I still have this available and can swap back very quickly to listen. When I do It’s a considerable step backwards in just about every musical aspect.

I shall give the Farad at least a couple of weeks to convince me that it’s worth keeping.

5 Likes

I am sure that your patience will be rewarded. I went through the same process and at a certain point I was even doubting if the Farad was the right choice. Now 3 months later the SQ is excellent.

2 Likes

How long is your return window?
You should try PN inadvertently compare both.
It’s only one box and a worth competitor.
You have also tried farad 3 before? Before sigma era?

The burn in process must be bad - but found PN less complicated. But this was with less revealing system.

Now I have a preferred room temperature for listening… even this is influencing. Mad :blush:

And don’t forget Ansuz D2 is better :sunglasses:

1 Like

What? It’s a joke. Nothing surpasses the Neotech !

1 Like

It’s different and in some Northern European countries where is less light in winter people tend to like it :nerd_face:
But overall - especially with a very special cable …
Will try the ansuz some day - promise :+1:

I forgot - the Neotech switch! :wink:

2 Likes

No judgement intended !
As gecko and I share some thoughts on the sigma cable, I think it is worth a try. In different environment (especially with different ears) all can be totally different. Learned that a lot :blush::wink:

1 Like

@drago has a 1 minute window so if it’s not great within 60 seconds it’s out the window. I’m trying to push him into 1 day territory but it seems a bit challenging. Not giving up yet!

3 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

I have zero experience of the Sigma cable Drago but like Blackbird wrote …… :+1:

2 Likes

Farad give you a thirty day window to trial but it was sounding a lot better last night. I will definitely try to get hold of the PN just to see what else it brings to the party. I must admit I do like to give all these combinations a go before I comment on their performance.

You mentioned the DC3 had less top-end sparkle than the Farad. I’m not sure I’d want to lose any sparkle. This was the main reason I tended to prefer the SMPS over the LPS. Fortunately the Sigma puts back what the LPS seems to rob.

1 Like