Stuck a Linear Power Supply on My Switch - Blimey! 😱

PN is a more romantic coloured warm sounding box. If you want sparkle and prat you are better off with EE8 and Farad. Or Ansuz D2 Powerswitch.

3 Likes

That is not what I found out when directly compared them.
(Have you compared directly? Though ee8 was already sold when PN came to the party)
Both dc3 and ee8 lost a bit hf sparkle compared to smps on ee8
PN has also less of that but was the most groovy of all - no warm romance at all.

During my decision got the best switch, the hf sparkle was my main parameter I have looked at

1 Like

Yes I had EE8, Farad, Ansuz D2, PN with Ansuz D2 cable and Entreq Olympus cable at the same time. The PN is doing many things great but is lacking in the top end and have a rather coloured low end. Most reviews will tell you the same.

What cable did you use with EE8?

6moon for example. PN is great but I just want to point out it can be to warm for some and lack details in the top end. If you want a more firm prat bass without sacrificing top end I suggest looking into Ansuz D2.

"
I recently added a PhoenixNET to the input of a Statement server. What you get are all the hi-fi attributes of bigger soundstage, deeper, more palpable bass (bass you can actually feel), greater intensity and density of timbral colours and harmonic complexity, richer acoustic detail"

"
First hours with the ZENith MK 3 + PhoenixNET combo, can’t be happier!
Before any further impression I need a few days to let both of them work in my system, anyhow compared to previous SR Switch UEF it seems to be more natural, better voices and wider soundstage. Bass little bit too much boomy and more openness is expected after the needed time burning in."

"
The Phoenixnet leans towards a darker timbral voicing and a thorough, dense and very well layered bass. The bass is actually outstanding. The best I have heard from a switch so far. What you gain on the bottom end you lose on the top end. Resolution, air, stage size and detail is cut back. In particular stage depth but also transient decay is less defined. "

1 Like

And of course then you have to try the Neotech again :sweat_smile:

Just remember the Shunyata Omega PC😂

1 Like

Compared to ansuz it will be definitely so!
Ansuz is more dynamic and resolving with better top end.

I have intensively (Drago like) tested ee8 plus smps vs ee8 plus lhy 25 vs ee8 plus farad vs ee8 plus dc3 vs PN. Tested with vodka cable (edgy but not anywhere near diamond when it comes to hf resolution)
All had a similar top end - except smps on ee8, which had more sparkle. As I liked this sparkle a lot, the LPs had a hard time:

• ee8 plus lhy25 … smps better
  • ee8 plus dc3 … this was a tough one. After 3 days it was so good - very naimish, nice textured with far better hf than lhy25
  • ee8 plus farad (better copper cable, better fuse) … very similar to dc3 (sparkle identical) but the music was less flowing - a tiny artificial touch.
  • PN … yess, bass definition is from another world. But also all good aspects from the others … combined it has brought pure prat. Overall best prat with PN. Also best soundstage with PN
    Yes - smps has still more hf sparkle!

@Geko: as you already had gone the LPs way - the PN should not take away more sparkle as other LPs based switches!

@Blackbird
The reviews are all fine, but all is System related :blush:
PN is definitely no warm romantic box and naca 5 is not dull :wink::rofl::nerd_face::blush:

1 Like

Just changed power cord on the switch and I must say the difference is quite big. Something for all you tinkerers out there to try :grin:

2 Likes

I’m drowning in speaker cables mayhem and you have the guts to come here and propose to fiddle with power cables??? :joy:

6 Likes

You will adjust your thinking once you hear cables and switch that provide details :sunglasses: You need to up the game Drago and put that lamp cord 6 feet under and buy a switch that is made for more than FM radio :+1::smile:

2 Likes

As long as they are not made by Neotech!:grimacing:

3 Likes

Ha! Of course Neotech😁

The Grand is the one I am using. It’s very good. Geko has a noisy system though so he needs a cable that hides the noise😁 I’d go with Shunyata in such a case😂

”A Grand” would be a better name :smile:

1 Like

Yes in £

1 Like

Maybe gekos reading here is making the noise :blush:

2 Likes

Try a powerline and all will be good…

Hahaha.

Naim is the new Neotech!

Yes he should kill the network to lower the noise floor

The PL is cute.

I actually had a bit of a session with the Neet 1008 this afternoon as I find myself doing a bit of ‘thumb twiddling’ while this Farad power supply goes through its burn-in phase. I must admit the Neet sounded a lot more forgiving on the Farad as they seems to compliment one another, although still not in the same league as the Sigma on my other power supply. In fact I think the Sigma and Farad might not be the best match. I’m missing something with the Farad and I’m not sure burn-in will solve it. The Sigma is so damn good at revealing the frequency extremes that when it’s not quite right those big DBL bass drivers will definitely let you know.

At this moment in time I’m finding myself preferring the bass that the SMPS gives as it’s slightly firmer and, for some unknown reason, goes a bit lower? The Farad bass seems a tad soft and a bit slower, which is annoying. In fact the bass on my cheap LPS is even tighter, lower and faster than both the SMPS and the Farad. It kind of comes down to a timing issue again. I’m finding the Farad sounding ‘slow’, which was my primary criticism of most LPS’s I’ve tried in the past. Still, I’m determined to give the Farad a fair try, so will continue with the prescribed burn-in.

3 Likes

That’s hifi … :blush:
Do you have the chance to try a dc3? Or…

There is a chance that you have found a magic combination with your cheap LPs!

By the way … all LPs I have tested (also PN) were slower than ee8 plus smps. With PN it was only slightly - but also noticeable

1 Like