Stuck a Linear Power Supply on My Switch - Blimey! šŸ˜±

You are pretty much mirroring my experience with the Farad. Both very high and very low frequencies seem to be affected, which seems to remove some of the ā€˜speedā€™ compared to the SMPS or one other LPS that I have. This obviously impacts PRAT and that typical ā€˜Naimā€™ sound. I must say Iā€™ve been a bit underwhelmed by most of the linear power supplies Iā€™ve tried so far. They all seem to sound a bit slow and ponderous by comparison. To be honest I just wish Naim would build a switch and a power supply and then I could stop fretting about which one is best!

2 Likes

Hi :slightly_smiling_face:ā€¦
Now you draw conclusions far too quickly,.based in my opinion,on a little lack of experience.

As an example,.I can mention thatā€¦
Synergistic Research Purple Fuse (yes all their fuses),.needs between 200 and up to 300 hours of burn-in,you can read that in the Synergistic Research accompanying manual.

Then a linear powersupply also needs a number of hours of burn-in,.as others have already written.
AND,.for example, I just had my new Vertere Pulse Reference XLR-cables on a constant playlist for 100 hours.

You shouldnā€™t be so quick to draw conclusions,.which then turn out to be incorrect.
Let your new products play on a playlist for 200 hours (roughly eight days)ā€¦
Then you can listen seriously and draw conclusions :smiley:.

1 Like

Snappy start and switch of the melody, hard to explain really but kind of a fast-sounding system

1 Like

Well thatā€™s my initial ā€˜lack of experienceā€™ experience.
I wasnā€™t born yesterday. I know what burnin is.
But I tell you, it better sing opera after that 300 hours. Iā€™m not paying that money just to get to the same level as SMPS.
In any case Iā€™ll be sure to comment here and tag you Peder with my testing experience.

Whatā€™s that other LPS you tried thatā€™s better than Super3?

I previously had the EE8 switchā€¦
I replaced it to get away from any SMPS in the music-system adding noice.
I have also replaced all SMPS devices in the house with linear powersupplyā€™s for the same reason.
The result,.significantly better sound quality :smiley:.

Good for you my experienced friend. Iā€™m sure the sound is now so relaxed you can go to sleep :joy:

Absolutely not,.on the contraryā€¦
I hate ā€œrelaxed soundā€ā€¦!!

It instead addedā€¦
ā€¢ More energy
ā€¢ More nerve
ā€¢ More dynamics
ā€¢ More timing
ā€¢ More musical drive
ā€¦etc etcā€¦

Having SMPS in a music-system is not the most optimal.
But most importantly,.put your device on a playlist before jumping to conclusions.
Now I leave this :smiley:ā€¦

1 Like

Again, I didnā€™t jump on anything. Initial impressions are exactly how I said it. It sounds like a dead cow now.
Iā€™ll test it donā€™t you worry.
As I now see you as an experienced audiophile almost betting on his life it will get better, how can I not expect it to blow my mind with all these attributes you bullet listed :smiley:
Oh how I look forward to it!

1 Like

@JimDog Jimmy, tell me with your 44 years of experience, what does musical nerve and musical drive mean? :smiley:

It depends where and how theyā€™re used. Network equipment in particular may have different requirements vs hifi stuff so the same good lps may behave with router not the same as with a dac. Iā€™m using only smps now together with network stuff but a) connected through a power transformer b) with an optimised power cables after some trial and error. If not those 2 factors I would prefer a good lps like Farad or Plixir.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, Iā€™ve just found out that the guy who builds the supply that I have doesnā€™t make them anymore, which is a PITA. Itā€™s an old Fidelity Audio one from a couple of years ago. He has a new range now. Iā€™m trying to get a listen to some of his new stuff to see if itā€™s as good? To be honest Iā€™ve tried most of the ā€˜usual suspectsā€™ in LPS format (around eleven now if I count the ones Iā€™ve had twice) and have found them all to be very average in performance.

The Ferrum Hypsos looks very interesting with itā€™s hybrid technology. Might be worth a listen?

1 Like

My 6000 EUR Ansuz D2 Powerswitch use an inbuilt SMPS which they have implemented and optimised. It sounds better than any LPS driven switch Iā€™ve heard. PRaT!

2 Likes

Yep, and thatā€™d probably be my choice if i had 6,000 euro knocking about but Iā€™m a bit short this week! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

I paid almost half of a new PN :+1:

2 Likes

Wow. That is a good price!

You said it my friend, pratā€¦
Tell me, I see Ansuz has some cheaper models. Do they have the same tech or? Have you audition any of them maybe?

A friend went from EE8 + Farad3 to A2 and thought it was a huge step. And then went on to D2 which is another step in definition, separation, prat. Ansuz is replacing ā€œ2ā€ models with 3 now so there are good deals to be made.

Iā€™ve had EE8 with Farad, Phoenixnet and Reiki Superswitch Pro against my D2. D2 is still here.

1 Like

Why are you asking me to interpret what @Peder said, rather than just asking Peder?

3 Likes

I just thought you might have another brilliant advice for me thatā€™s all. Is there a problem?