Stuck a Linear Power Supply on My Switch - Blimey! 😱

Yes, you preferred EE8/Farad over EE8/stock smps.

Geko, DiggyGun and GraemeH preferred EE8/stock smps over EE8/Farad. (But there may be others as well).

1 Like

I also preferred EE8+Farad3 over EE8+SMPS.

2 Likes

I telephoned The Chord Company some time ago to discuss with them the possibility of using a LPS on the EE8. The instructions or brochure make the point that the supplied SMPS forms a crucial part of the design with the necessary filtering to remove noise.

They told me that they had experimented with a number of LPS’s but that they - their words - hadn’t found anything to shout about.

As has been mooted here before, I suspect that changing the PS will result, amongst other things, in modifying the amount and/or frequency of noise reaching the switch. Thus modifying the sound. You may like the effect or not - listener and system dependant.

2 Likes

Same here. EE8+Farad with purple fuse and Copper level 2 sounds great in my small system. I went from EE8+stock SMPS to the iFI power elite and landing on the Farad LPS. I do power the Farad with an unused stock Naim power cable I had lying around.

1 Like

I know what you are referring to.
Sigma is … so special- don’t want to loose this.

Had my system down for more than a week (all down and out - server, PN also). There were thunderstorms predicted last Wednesday…
They did not come - instead came COVID (first time for me - wow, that’s not my best time these days :worried:).
Today I powered all up again - first impression is soo wow and also „yeah it’s from stone cold“ and there is even more to come.
And even more when my ear tubes are free again.

1 Like

I’ve never tried the ‘Farad’ on my EE8. I do like it with the SMPS though, and prefer it to the PhoenixNet.

G

So you set up the Melco in direct mode and have to control it via the front panel ?

I use my Farad Super3 on an EtherREGEN. Way better than the stock SMPS.

Anyone else had success (or otherwise) with a Farad Super3 on an EtherREGEN?

No but the Mutec Nano clock could be used simultaneously on both the ER and the Melco. Will look into it when i fly back……enjoy your hols.

2 Likes

Interesting….

Last time I looked at clocks I got very bogged down and felt it was a rabbit hole too far.

Still, I look forward to your investigations.

1 Like

Apologies for a fake memory, Graham.

1 Like

The Melco can be controlled via the iPad app when used in USB mode. That’s how we use ours. It needs to be connected to the router via ethernet of course, but no music data flows over ethernet, only control data. Also data downloaded when ripping CD’s if ripper connected to the Melco. As with our D100.

Melco say for best sound quality it should be disconnected from the router. Slightly inconvenient as you do then have to control it via the front panel. Might as well just play CD’s as do that - it would be easier!

1 Like

When I use my Melco in direct mode you can still control it from the NDS (in my case). Not as convenient, maybe, as an app on a tablet but I tend to do it this way most of the time anyway as my music is stored in alphabetical folders that I’ve used for many years.

Hi, I’m confused by this. Do you mean you’ve got your Melco connected via USB to the NDS, ie. using the DAC in the NDS? Or do you mean it’s connected to the NDS by ethernet via its player port?

Sorry no, I now see you are using USB. I am using the player port. I don’t know if it works the same way with USB

1 Like

Once you are thinking about clocks, a nice simple turntable becomes appealing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Thanks. With USB you still use the Melco app to control and this works well. When connected to a streamer via ethernet through the network one uses the streamer app to control things as the Melco is just a NAS device in effect (although much better than typical IT NAS devices). When connected using the player port presumably control is still using the player (in your case NDS) app in the normal way?

I almost bought a Solstice…….but i don,t want to play a whole side of an album, and flicking between tracks on vinyl just did not work for me.

1 Like

When in direct mode you just use the NDS handset. App can’t work without being in bridged mode

1 Like

As with @Gazza, one of the reasons I was glad to abandon vinyl for CD way back was the convenience. Getting up and down constantly to change tracks during a listening session becomes very tedious.

Having said that I haven’t heard a good turntable for decades. I don’t want to, because I think I could very easily become hooked again. With the comparitve lack of new vinyl, and the expense of turntables/arms/cartridges that way lies madness. Too late to change now anyway - I’m committed to the Melco.

1 Like