Stuck a Linear Power Supply on My Switch - Blimey! 😱

I see that you also have Kudos KS-1 speaker cables and Chord SignatureX mains lead.
You have an interesting system, good components but “modest” cables, EXCEPT for the mains lead.

Following the usual logic, power and ethernet cables should provide much less of an improvement to a system compared to speaker and signal cables.

I’m interested, have you tried better speaker cables? No improvement over KS-1?
Btw I have KS-1 in my drawer, and I find even NACA5 to be a better cable, at least for my NC system. I now run Atlas Ailsa speaker cables.
Also did you hear improvement from a more expensive mains lead more than from a more expensive speaker cable?

If I were you, I’d be testing better speaker cables for sure. Much more important than ethernet.

1 Like

I have the same. :slight_smile: And me and my friends all hear a clear difference with Super3.
I do agree that I need to test some other ethernet cables, at least in the last leg.

Thanks for the message @thirdEze

With the Kudos Titan 606s, I initially used one run of NAC A5 then changed to two runs when I went active. I then demoed two lengths of KS-1 from the dealer, then ordered and used two lengths of KS-1 at the right length for the system.

I found the KS-1 to be an improvement on the NAC A5. Better bass and detail with a more relaxed sound.

I don’t have the SignatureX Power Cable any more as sold that on. Now using a home made MSHD / Supra LoRad mains cable.

I did a number of tests with different cables that is detailed in the “Linn Selekt Journey” thread. Essentially tried a number, including; Mark Grant, Naim PowerLine, Chord Epic and SignatureX. After using the home made power cable for a while, put the SignatureX power cable back in to see if it made an improvement. No, it was different but not an improvement, no “Wow" factor.

I’ve got no plans to play around with the speaker cables. The T606s are wired internally with KS-1, so I’ll stick with them externally. For a relatively inexpensive cable they are rather good and highly rated on this Forum.

As you will see, I’ve standardised on CatSnake 6a Floating Ethernet cable. Again, inexpensive in comparison to the previous Chord cables that I used; Signature Super ARAY / Epic / Clearway Ethernet cables. Indeed, selling on the Signature Super ARAY ethernet cable covered the cost of the full loom CatSnake. Similarly, no "Wow” factor when I put the Chord cables back in to try them.

DG…

2 Likes

Nevertheless, I believe KS-1 is the bottleneck. I do understand these are popular here, heck even I used them, but they are nowhere near the class your system deserves. :wink:
Thanks for sharing your experience!

1 Like

I disagree. I’ve heard other cables on Kudos speakers on Linn / Naim systems that don’t sound as good.

Not going to be chasing something that’s not there. Been down the Rabbit Hole before.

Enjoy your system.

DG…

6 Likes

Ah you did test? Then I rest my case. I thought you didn’t try other. If KS-1 works best for you, who am I to disagree.
You too!

Fully agreed
When it is fine - it’s fine!
My 606 are wired with chord I think - mine are earlier ones. Nevertheless they are great.
I preferred naca oder ks1 (with full Olive amp) - now full 500 amp…
No rabbit hole for me as well :wink:

1 Like

Likewise. Mostly as a tip of the hat to the artists who went to the effort of arranging the tracks in the order they did

3 Likes

I have been using a Farad Super3 on the ER for many happy years now.
Rabbit holes can be fun! Try a Mutec Ref 10 or Nano.

2 Likes

Are they clocks?

They are clocks yes. It is of course a rabbit hole, and some people go nuts on clock cables.
I prefer to use standard Naim cables, NACA5, Blue Jeans ethernet. And a PowerIgel.

But I have had fun with switches and clocks. In my head it makes a difference, and for me, my head counts a lot.

I reckon the Phoenix NET has a pretty good clock inside. Which could in parts explain why people like it so much. Just a theory.

2 Likes

The biggest difference with a clock comes when it can sync all three parts - switch, streamer and dac. Unfortunately this is not an option with Naim but possible with Teac and some others

1 Like

If you push the clock button on the remote, you will get the time on your streamers display. No need for an extra clock :sunglasses:

3 Likes