Stylus force gauge

Still my favourite stylus gauge, the Technics SH-50P1. Naim used one of these when testing Aros for consistency.

Picture from Zstereo.

3 Likes

I also use it, but of course being analogue it’s not very precise. Either accept you’re a tiny bit off, or tune by ear.

Fine tuning that last bit by ear is a good idea whatever balance you use, even with a Lyra. Probably best done after a period of run in.
The balance can get you back close to your starting point if you get lost.

1 Like

Agree there.

I have this one, somewhere in my box of TT setup stuff, from circa '80s when setting up my Thorens TD160 with Mission 774 arm, with a range of carts from Goldring 1012/1042 (replacement stylus), Ortofon MC10 Super, AT OC9, Sumiko Blackbird, before digital gauges existed.

I think Len Gregory aka The Cartridge Man, was an early one.

I have the Audio Additives Digital Stylus Force Gauge, 3 place precision.

1 Like

Thanks for all your replies. I have now all the informations. So will share then when I will receive the gauge.

Yes, that’s a classical one - on the list.

…I use that one…seems to work consistently

I have one like that shown in the first post. I found the rather large plate with the dimple for the stylus is very close to the Rega cartridge casing even when I pointed the scales to the centre. May be different with other makes.

It does the job.

Phil

Very expensive and hard to find in good condition though……I think

Not so hard to find, but yes, not exactly cheap. You should be able to find a nice one with the plastic guard, the weight and the box and instructions for around £100-150.

Does it looks like 1,75 g ?

Whatever gauge you use, you should get a calibrated weight (say, 2g) to check it with.

I had a Shure one that was massively off. I now use a Clearaudio one, but I also have an eBay special that is just as accurate.

The one I ordered has a calibrated 5g piece of metal.

1 Like

Does it actually come with calibration certification? A proper 2g one on its own costs about $100 or so.

I don’t think so. But some above use it and seems satisfied. We will see.

The supplied 5g weight comes up as 4.99g on mine.
2g on my Ittok is 1.98-1.99g. Adjustments in force are also as expected.

This seems adequate to me. :thinking:

Looks like 1.8+ to me. Don’t know how accurate the Rega dial is though. The one on my Technics is dead on.

Let’s not be silly. For decades they were all analog, and you would get to half a gram accuracy. Like the one Richard Dane and I still use. The weight is unlikely to be anywhere near that inaccurate. And FR has already said it’s for the ballpark and after he’ll fine tune by ear.

1 Like

Enjoy your music FR. All arms are different designs, and there are articles out there on the www. that discuss this very subject. With my Aro, I have it set at the low end for the Kandid on a standard weight lp. The tracking weight increases to the maximum with a 180g record. The fact that you are getting a digital gauge and then fine tuning will help you greatly. Don’t sweat the precision issue.

Scott

2 Likes

Aren’t you glad technology has evolved?

There are cartridge these days specifying very tight ranges (and sometimes even a single number).