Stylus force gauge

Make a change, play some music because it’s what you want to listen to rather than to test it, keep this setting until something makes you you feel unsatisfied with it. then readjust slightly and repeat.

1 Like

What if you decide to change the VTF again? Will you need to get another gauge?

1 Like

All I can say is when I had my vinyl setup Graham 1.5 arm with on the fly adjustable VTA and Van den Hul Frog I certainly could hear very small adjustments. Of course that was 30 years ago and my hearing was much better.

Even if the difference wasn’t audible, when a cartridge is spec’ing a range as small as 0.05g or even just a single number it would take a fair bit of precision to ensure you’re within the operating envelope.

The other advantage of this is that if you were to tune it by ear you could then measure it with the gauge and create repeatability.

I tried on two different lps. I prefer to follow my feelings and intuition. 1,72 was clearly better vs 1,80. Then 1,77 was better. Then 1,72 again, but lacking a bit some bass. Then decided to set at 1,75.
Prefer to leave it like that. I will receive a more precise gauge in a couple of weeks. Will probably test again with that second gauge.

Of course, if I feel something is not perfect, or a bit lacking….I will adjust then. I will return the gauge only in 3 days.
But I would prefer not to play indefinitely with that. I choosed the Rega for that too. No upgrades, no VTA adjustments….nothing to bother after the set up.

I can’t understand how people can relax and enjoy music if they have to fine tune the VTA for each lp. Hopefully Rega has no VTA setting.

1 Like

:grimacing: Lyra say 1.65g to 1.75g (1.72 recommend)
Sorry my Ocd.
:roll_eyes:

As Suedkiez wrote at the beginning, the difficulty is to fit the cantaliver in the pad. Apart that the gauge gave the same numbers if I repeat the process. So it’s relatively accurate I feel.
I cross my fingers to not have to repeat that exercise. For now the few lps I played give excellent results.

I’ve been using one of the cheapo tracking weight units for a few years and it seems consistent and acccurate. I always take it to my dealers if I’m having any work done on my LP12 to be checked against more exotic models and it reads much the same.
Reading the concerns about the cartridge body touching the pad I checked this out by packing under the other end of the unit so the pad was horizontal and the cartridge body was clear of it. It read 1.75. Removing the packing and placing the Kandid on the pad I noticed the cartridge body was indeed touching the pad but the reading stayed the same at 1.75. Physics was never a strong subject for me !

Hi,
I just checked a second time. You are right. There was an error on a site where I went.
So I settled to 1,72, the most recommended by Lyra.
Maybe it’s a bit better vs 1,75. The sound is lighter on his feet, but a bit less focused.
Thanks.

I don’t know which trust, the Rega counterweight indications or the force gauge.
More the stylus force gauge I feel, because the 1,72 g indicated on it seems to be my favourite.
If you look at the picture, I see more 1,60 .

The force guage!
J

3 Likes

The gauge because that’s why you have it.

The arm dial is not super exact, nor are its scale markings obviously. But more importantly it’s probably rare that people really balance the arm so that the stylus hovers 1 mm over the platter for an extended time - hence the baseline zero for the arm dial will always differ

1 Like

Just cos I was surprised, and didn’t fancy starting a thread all about it… just driven my TT with Roksan Tabriz tonearm 160 miles in the back of the car. Set the deck up at home, checked the stylus pressure with my Project digital pressure gauge, 1.68-1.72 g range over a couple of measurements, which is bang on for my cartridge. Which was nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

So you’re going to buy & return that gauge every time you make an adjustment? Wouldn’t it be better to just buy it? :thinking:

1 Like

When it’s adjusted, it’s adjusted. It doesn’t move. I change my carts every 7 years.

Do you return your records after each play until you want to listen to them again too? :grinning:

I even buy a new P10 every month. Too lazy to clean it. When dusty, back to the dealer.
As for gauge balance, why keep something I won’t use anymore?
I ordered a different one, from China. More precise ( 0,001). 15 euros too.
But won’t bother to return this time, as it’s not as easy as with Amazon.
Will just check a second time the weight, to be sure it was really 1,72.

Sounds rather like people who buy clothes, wear them once and then return them.

1 Like