Stylus Pressure Gauges

Depends on the cartridge. The manufacturer’s website will usually tell. The Ortofon page for my 2M Black says:
Tracking force range - 1.4-1.7 g (14-17 mN)
Tracking force, recommended - 1.5 g (15 mN)

It’s on the lighter side, generally (Edit: The range and recommendation for this cartridge, I mean)

1 Like

Well, I got another digital stylus pressure gauge. This one works, though the instructions were cr*p.

1 Like

My digital SPG shows 2.01 for my Ittok dialled into 2.0g :slight_smile:

I use a Cartridge Man scale. Set at 1.7 g for my Lyra Kleos in a Reed 3P arm.

As I was looking for a new gauge, as I wasn’t happy with the cheap chinese one that I had, I went ahead and bought this one on your recommendation. Thanks!

Looks pristine, in original box, seems to work well, although the gain is a bit fidly right around the 1.5g mark, less so everywhere else. I guess that’s where it’s seen most if not all its use over the years.

One thing I don’t have is the manual. I can figure out how to operate it, so don’t really need it, but would still be interested. Would you or someone else in possession of it be able to upload a copy?

Several years back I bought one of the cheap no name digital models on Amazon (think it was $15 CDN), it come with a 5g calibration weight. We do pressure testing at work so have certified trimmer weights, I checked my gauge from the 1-3g range & was a little shocked when worst case was .01 out.

2 Likes

I have the manual but my scanner is not working well. If you go to Vinyl Engine they have a pdf of the manual that you can download.

I had found that site, but I can’t download without an account, and when trying to register I get:
“Sorry, but new registrations are currently closed”

The service manual seems readily available, but the user manual unfortunately not.

If anyone else, perhaps @Mulberry, would be willing to scan and upload that’d be awesome.

How many pages are there? There seems to be quite a gap between my original styrofoam and original box. Must have been a few, unless, I guess, it came with a ton of translations of said manual.

There is a good article on line about the 3 different types of tone arm designs, such as a stable balance tone arm like an Aro, which should have the VTF set with a standard LP pressing weight, otherwise you can run into issues with too little VTF. I ran into this issue. With a Kandid you only have a range of 0.05g as a recommended tracking range from 1.72-1.77g. I was off by .18g

Scott

I’ll try to make a useable scan tomorrow. The english part is ten pages, including cover and pictures. Otherwise its german, french, spanish, dutch , swedish and danish, if you prefer one of these :grinning:

1 Like

I’d prefer the english, but if it’s not too much effort, the dutch would be interesting as well. (I always like to see how things are translated). But really, only if not too much effort.

Thanks you!

If it weren’t for the recent travel advice, I would be reading a lot of dutch in a week. Unfortunately we had to cancel our vacation in Noord-Holland :cry:

Using the adjustment screw in the button to slightly change the position slightly seems to have solved this.

Okay… I’m compelled to tell a humorous (possibly) story about checking stylus weight. So 10 years ago, when I still had a turntable, I decided to check the stylus weight using a small, precision generic electronic gauge… one of those 10 quid from Amazon things. Strangely though it was giving really stupid results. It turns out the pan on the gauge was being attracted upwards by the magnet in the M/C cartridge!

2 Likes

Wow!

Maybe I had better use my manual Transcriptors Stylus scales to double check the tracking weight of my M/C cartridge.

Would be interesting to know if the Technics uses non-magnetic material for the actual scale parts.
My cheapo from Amazon however did show a higher weight than the Rega arm dial did, but I’ll check with the plastic Ortofon thingy, thanks for the pointer.

I made a couple of scans today, but I’m unsure about copyright if I post them here. @Richard.Dane is there a way to pass my e-mail address to n-lot or send the scan to you?

1 Like

Ittok gauge very accurate yes 1/10th gram if balance correctly. Ittok/Ecoss very fine arm IF units with orig early arm cable. I do not think SME arms superior, and i have both.
It sounds strange but from memory i like to preload my arm by balancing H/S a little heavy
so is tiny blend of Static and Dynamic balance sonic difference being extremely minor.

I have SHURE seesaw gauge common in the 70s sliding cursor 1/10th gram settings dont have time for scales with coarser readings. Surprised it not mentioned considering Shures cartridge sales! Accurate and used for decades and can never read anything but correct weight.
Got tired of getting Stylus in groove and cursor moving during adjustment so got $10 one from ebay in the beginning sometimes got different reading each time put stylus on it. So always need confirm with the Shure. I reset with the common 5g that comes with these
let it stabilise when pushing the buttons it now seems to be consistantly accurate and it is nice to read an exact digital number.

Thats a coincidence, though my digital has three figures it reacts to an MC cartridge before the stylus touches the pan. The stabilising algorithm is rather too aggressive so it gives the appearance of settling, then changes its mind.

1 Like