Sub 5 grand DACs

Yes the naim Dac is very good…

The Naim DAC also has plenty of inputs (which allow one to use the device to get consistent sound from different sources) and, in my view, looks very nice and unpretentious.

With a DigiOne Signature connected via BNC-BNC cable, one has a very flexible source with support for UPnP LAN streaming, internet radio, Tidal, Qobuz, Roon, etc.

What I like so much about the Naim dac it that you can insert an usb stick with music. It would be very useful in my case since I listen to the same silly Bruckner symphony most of my days.

1 Like

Yes , another vote for bel canto dacs , built like tanks and used one for years

possibly becuase they move to a streaming product like the ndx ??

Berkeley Alpha Dac in the US is $4995. Should be around 5k in the UK??

At the bottom of your range I might suggest the Dragonfly Cobalt… mine should be with me Sunday … it’s primarily for portable uses and driving my valve headphone amp

2 Likes

That looks an interesting little DAC Simon - storming technical performance too from something that takes its power from the host USB connection.

James, indeed, it would be interesting hear it go though it’s paces.

I’m sure you’ll be posting your thoughts :grinning:

When I look at this list I realize we have some great choices in DACs. I have a Chord Qutest which for you is a non starter so I will second a Naim DAC as beautifully built with great sound, the Border Patrol for hand-crafted quality and a lovely, but different sound, and, per Toby, the Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt as a high performing steal.

Have fun.

You have ruled out the two best sounding DACs I’ve heard by eliminating Chord for styling and Linn Katalyst because of its integral streamer.

I would add the TEAC UD 505 to your list. I owned the earlier 501 and would probably still be using it, had I not heard a Chord Electronics DAC.

1 Like

I have a Dragonfly Red for when I’m on the move , for the size / price quite exceptional .

1 Like

The Aqua La Voce S3 is a nice looking R2R ladder dac…

Is there a collective noun for a group of DACs ?

“Note I’ve rejected the idea of an all in one network bridge/DAC. So DAC only.”

Why?

You know you’re eventually going to end up with the active version of your ATCs :grinning:, so a streamer/DAC/preamp would be a natural front end eg. Naim 272, (+PS) or successor, Auralic Vega G2, Linn DSM, dCS Bartok to name just a few.

Roger

You can get an option streamer card for the Mytek Manhattan II. It also works as a preamp. A very nice sounding unit.

I just watched Darko’s YouTube video about the DigiOne Signature, it has me intrigued, and might pick one up to play around with. NBPF can you buy this version fully assembled, or is it up to you to assemble it? Are you powering the clean side with a battery pack like he suggests to do? I am thinking this little unit and my Naim Core into my TT2 might be all I need, sell my NDS/XPSDR, after a head to head of coarse.

It’s sold plug-and-play ready.

2 Likes

I think you mean the Holo Audio Spring 2 KTE right? I borrowed one for a few weeks. It is a NOS DAC free of the transient/timing problems of the delta-sigma types. But with other potential issues - try before you buy and try it with your system. NOS DACS:s are fantastic but will output a great deal of ultrasound that could turn bad in certain systems. I tried it with a dCS brdge. You can run this DAC in oversampling mode but it lose a lot of its musicality. I dont have any DSD so I didnt try that. I tested with AES/EBU input and balanced out.

The Schiit Yggdrasil needs a very, very long warm-up (weeks). I preferred it with the Bricasti M5 Bridge over the dCS. It is a 21-bit multibit DAC and it sound very right to my ears, especially redbook data. A standard height Fraim shelf is a tight fit - I would say you need the next size. I preferred the AES/EBU input and balanced out.

Like others said dont neglect the Naim DAC which is very musical - I own one with an XPSDR power supply . Bulky, yes, but the Yggdrasil is just slightly smaller. No AES/EBU or balanced on this one. I use BNC SPDIF and unbalanced out. I use it with a dCS bridge.

These three are my favourite DACs.