Sub 5 grand DACs

DCS Debussy s/h or old ex demo.
Remember hearing this and being reminded of when I was shop evaluating some budget KEF standmounts with a top Wadia cd source years ago.
The then dealer was obviously enjoying his own humour as I was stunned by what was emanating from my potential budget purchase, only to be somewhat disappointed when I got it home.

Does anybody love the Qutest?

Does anybody hate the Qutest?

Seems like a best buy among this comparable set.

DAC’s seem to become stale almost immediately. I am using my original Meridian Explorer. I had the original Bel Canto upsampling DAC shaped like a box of cookies, and the Halide DAC shaped like a Zippo lighter. I am wondering why I should spend big money on a new one.

Also looking at the ND5XS2 streamer. $3600 for entry level NAIM when I am happy with my CD555 and Verdier. I just don’t know that I want to get on the DAC upgrade treadmill, or the streamer treadmill either. I do have a nice hard drive of old Blue Note vinyl which deserves a better digital solution.

If you don’t want a naim dac you could look at a Denafrips Terminator.
I’d avoid the Debussy.

I have heard the Denafrips Terminator at a friends place. He has a wonderful stereo rig.

Nice DAC that

and ofcourse the Naim DAC

I am not into computer music and would have bought the Naim DAC to complement my SN2 if the situation arose.

Skip

Qutest is superb DAC but OP was specifically not interested in Chord DACs because of Chord products general appearance.

I have a Qutest and it’s brilliant but as always there are other choices.

i heard the dcs puccini some years ago and found it marvelous. I prefer it to the recent rossini.

For a bridge I’m thinking DCS Network Bridge. Okay not heard so far but I simply love the ethos of the company. It’s taking a while to sort out a demo though… maybe, after a listen, I’ll decide no but we’ll see.

I’d like to add a DCS DAC (or even a full streamer) to the short list but simply too expensive :frowning: Even 2nd hand/ex demo.

I’m hoping DCS bridge (or similar) plus DAC for c. 8K.

tbh the list of sub-5K DACs is starting to get bigger than I thought it would; I didn’t realise their were that many good examples out there! It’ll take some whittling down. I wonder if I should start by removing all units which don’t have a proper UK distributor? Although not beyond the wit of man, sending something like a £2-3K DAC back to, for example, the states for repair would be a pain. Heck, come brexit, even sending something to France and back wouldn’t be a walk in the park!

If you have an overall budget of around £8k then I would echo the advice of TiberioMagadino and consider adding a S/H Linn Klimax Katalyst to your list.

I am sure that the DCS Network Bridge is excellent, but unless you aim to use your DAC with a number of sources then I would suggest that it would be very difficult to beat a S/H Linn klimax Katalyst at a price of around £8k.

1 Like

You can buy the DigiOne Signature Player with RPi, case and DietPi, MoodeAudio, Volumio or Max2Play preinstalled, see under “Transport” at the Allo web page.

The DigiOne Signature Player is meant to be a plug-and-play device but I have never tried it.

Or you can buy just the DigiOne Signature RPi extension, mount it on a RPi3 or RPi4 and install the OS of your choice. This is what I have done. I use a minimal Raspbian Lite distribution and upmpdcli as a UPnP renderer. This is an open software which also offers integrated support for Todal, Qobuz, etc. It is a MPD frontend, thus the sound signature (if something like that exists) is that of MPD.

Allo have recently introduced the USBridge Sig. This is a very interesting SBC specifically built for audio apllications. It is potentially a better host for the DigiOne Signature than the RPi3 and the RPi4. It can be ordered with an aluminium case that can also host the DigiOne Signature extension. See, again, under “Transport” on the Allo webpage.

4 Likes

The DCS bridge is a nice piece of kit. I do like what DCS do and from an engineering perspective, they are at the top of their game with these products. I would think something like the bridge with a Naim DAC (with 555PS0 in tow would give the Naim network players a very good run for their money. What is the rest of the kit you’re looking to use this with (amp, speakers wise) ?

1 Like

i saw some linn ds3 katalyst second hand for around 8k. I agree with Hmack, it will be very difficult to find better for the price. Only one box, with qobuz, tidal and streaming locally.

1 Like

Did you mean to write “PS Audio DirectStream Junior?”

The DirectStream (DSD) Jr. was a DAC I had for a few years until I upgraded to their Senior model. The Junior comes with a built-in Bridge for streaming plus about every 9-12 months PS Audio releases a new software version which changes/improves the SQ. Changing SW versions is as easy as inserting an SD card to the back of the player.

I highly recommend the Junior, plus PS Audio has a very attractive upgrade program if you ever want to trade-in for the Senior model.

ATC pre/bi-amp/SCM40 speakers…

Yes… Directstream JNR, but I must admit I missed the fact it’s a full streamer. The review I read talked about using it simply as a DAC.

tbh this kind of puts me off.

I like the concept of the full Directstream DAC which fits nicely under the 5K bar and is also available from a local dealer. However all the reviews say nice for classical music but perhaps not for any other genres. In our house 99% is rock/electronic.

Actually I have seen 2nd hand ‘as new’ dCS Debussy DACs sliding in under the 5K mark. This make the idea of combination dCS bridge/debussy DAC VERY attractive.

Or keep my eye out for a Bartok…

1 Like

both seem appealing.

The Exogal Comet DAC is definitely worth an audition. With it’s optional dedicated PSU it is great value for money and sounds great.

Nice setup - the ATC kit is very nice. I take it you have the Pre that doesn’t have the DAC built in. Just another thought - would you consider going to the 40A version which gives you more freedom up front ?

Yes, it’s called a cost

1 Like

Yes putting their prices up by 10% last month doesn’t help.

I admit though I am confused. Why does a UK product purchased in the UK give the exchange rate as a reason for a 10% price increase? Okay you might give the reason that some of the components sourced outside the UK have gone up but surely the vast bulk of the cost is locally sourced items e.g. profit, labour! :frowning: