Sub-£500 phono stage - thoughts/suggestions

And a bigger budget in my case.

In another place a member changed his 552 for the 912, then his 500 for the EAR509 - so I suspect there is probably a synergy; but I would love to be able to do the comparison.

Yes, I feel you are right. There is a great synergy with the 250 dr, but not sure with a 500 dr. I would go , if budget too, more for 552/500 together.
Or big Aries Cerat integrated , which impressed me a lot recently.

I’m not familiar with enough phono stages to make a recommendation, but I wondered why the Naim Stageline hasn’t been suggested.

Because it will need a hicap which puts it over budget, a Nova can’t power it.

1 Like

Ah gotcha thank you

I would think you could get a second hand Stageline and a second hand Flatcap for around £500. It would give a nice upgrade path too.

Check out the Rothwell Rialto MM/MC phono stage. Exceptional for the price.

1 Like

Thanks for these suggestions.

I’m holding onto the Mofi Studio for now. It’s giving a really good performance, yet like many pieces of kit at various price points certain material sounds better than others - notwithstanding the usual caveats about mastering, format, versions et al.

For example:

Playing Matthew Halsall’s expansive, cosmic floating jazz with soft percussion and prominent trumpet, sax and harp lines it’s quite majestic.

Playing, let’s say, Behaviour by Pet Shop Boys, it’s much less convincing. It seems to struggle with lower end fusions of instruments, if that makes sense.

I’ve never been of the vinyl is superior to digital or vice versa opinion, as I’ve accepted with my ears and near zero “tech spec” brain that there’s too many other factors at play to make a format the supreme criteria.

That said, I’d like to get as much as possible out of vinyl playback. The journey will, no doubt, continue.

For now, time to enjoy the music.

3 Likes

As it has not been mentioned yet, I have a Moon 110LP V2 phono stage. On my Star it gives digital streaming a real run for its money, IMO.

I read the very positive review of the Moon in What Hi-Fi, with the caveat that it wasn’t as good with an MC, which is what I have.

1 Like

FWIW I have a Rega ANIA Pro MC element and using dip switch settings recommended by the dealer for the combination rather than trying to approximate the Rega Aria recommended settings and I really cannot complain.

As far as the What Hi-Fi review, it only states that it is less convincing than with MM. But it also says that you have to spend at least half the cost of the Moon extra to get anything that sounds better with MC than the Moon.

They note mostly bass being softer and restrained large scale dynamics. The latter I cannot say anything useful about but as for bass, I am not lacking any of that.

Not trying to convince you, simply saying that it may still be a contender under the stated price range.

Thanks for insights with an MC, that’s good to know.

1 Like

I would say that’s true for (almost?) any stage that does both, as usually it just means additional amplification for MC.

For MC either get one which is dedicated, or a good MM stage with a SUT.

Although it seems settled for now I am very happy with my Lehman Black cube SE. it seems to fit in nicely with the NAIM gear.

Ken

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.