Subs or new speakers

My space is a bit different. TV and stuff is in another room so listening room stays fairly neat. At some point I’ll probably start playing with room acoustics

2 Likes

No, it is the wife’s washing drying out during winter. Southern Victoria is a pretty wet place most of the time. Happy wife, happy life.

Mitch.

No, that part I got , I was wondering about stuff like that mini dish like thing and the stuff on those little tables etc… wait a second you guys don’t have a clothes dryer?

So you’re way down south. And Melbourne is the capital? Or am I all kinds of wrong :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

G’day opus, yes we are about 2.5 hours south east drive from Melbourne located in a coastal town with gale force winds called Inverloch. We are two streets back from the surf beach. The little table on the right is preamp for the Linn LP12 with MC cartridge. The little table on the left holds a Lego build from the “Friends” TV comedy program. So when I am listening to music it is my friends and I :smiley: or if you wish. Me and my friends.

The pigeon holes in the TV media stand contain, on the far upper right the CD5 XS, Middle top is the Flatcap XS and at middle lowers is the Nait XS2. Middle left contain a noise cancelling 240 Volt power distribution boar with some high quality power IEC cable. On the far right side table with the Linn preamp and power supply is the another noise cancelling mains device again with expensive IEC power leads.

At the bottom right of the TV is a Sony PlayStation One modern day replica for our son and his mates to have a retro gaming experience when they visit. On the far left is the Apple TV IV for streaming movies to the TV from the iMac in the study. The audio output of the TV is routed through the XS 2 to play the audio through Celestion SL6Si speakers. In the very corners of the room are two IKEA lamps for mood lighting which are reasonable low in light output. Enough to pull out a LP or CD and put back into the case or sleeve.

In the top left of the music stand is the two covers for the speakers. Bottom left is some record paraphernalia, Naim manuals. Upper middle left are some Nativity scene snow balls which come out once a year. Bottom far right are left over Naim Din cables and CD securing screw.

I have PTSD and find it very difficult to use my hands these days, a psychological thing. The music table in front has my favourite albums that I like to play. There are also a couple of CDs in the TV cabinet on my next to next to playlist. My favourites are currently above the CD player.

I should also mention that Mrs. Mitch has placed blankets on the leather couch to stop the dogs scratching the leather. Our 10 yr old pug has bonded with me after I stopped shift work and we listen to music together. The French bull dog comes in because he thinks he is missing out. Then leaves.

I do not know if you noticed the close up of the two speakers are taken from the sweet spot in the middle of the TV media stand (yes I measured to the mm). If you take a closer look at the speakers you may notice that from the sweet spot you are unable to see the sides of the speakers. Speakers, media stand form an equilateral triangle with each side approximating three metres.

On the rear wall behind the washing is the CD book case.

To the left of this hidden behind the washing is another low level book case that does contain books which are slowly being displaced by the LP albums I purchase.

I think that covers everything in a round-a-bout way.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

After my current post, I am now toying with the idea to forget about the new speakers for the time being and am now OCDing about a Nait ND5 XS 2. Though possibly wasted with the Linn and CD player.

The space to the middle left with the snow globes looks like a nice place to fit a Naim streamers.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

Hello Xanthe, how would you go about this? Have you described the process in another topic maybe?
Thanks

I probably have, bur with dyslexia and ADHD, the chance of me finding it again tends to zero!

So, you need the microphone connected to a computer (a laptop is ideal), and a way of getting the output signal from the computer into your system. If you have a digital input available this is ideal, just use a USB soundcard with a coax or optical S/Pdif output; otherwise you’ll need to wire up an analogue connection (which won’t be quite so accurate, but the difference probably isn’t really significant).

Then attach the mic to a tripod or other support where you head will be when you listen to music.

Scanning and analysis using REW.

Firstly: crossover frequency: Set the sub’s low pass filter (or the DSP) starting at a very low frequency and the sub’s phase to 0°, If the level of the sub is way out, adjust that and scan again. With the level about right (it doesn’t need to be accurate at this stage), look for a ‘gap’ in the frequency response (FR) trace, if there is a gap, increase the sub’s crossover frequency and scan again until the gap just disappears.

Next, Timing:
Look at the ‘minimum phase’ plot in REW. there is likely to be a discontinuity at the crossover frequency (identified above) if so move the sub! With all subs there is a time delay between the input signal and the audio output. the best way to compensate for this is moving the sub closer to the listener than the position of the main speakers. When the ‘minimum phase’ plot only has a small discontinuity (less than 10° is ideal, but less than 25° if you have to!) the sub is the right distance from the listener.

Finally, Level and FR smoothness.
Fine trim the level of the sub to be 0dB to +3dB compared to the rest of the FR trace. Look for a smooth response across the sub’s FR trace. If there are one or more big peaks, move the sub away from the corners of the room, but as far as possible keep the same distance to the listening position.

When you get to this point, it’s worth doing a final check on the ‘minimum phase’ plot before making final fine adjustments to the settings.

This may sound complicated compared to “just do it by ear”, but it’s worth it - the results are MUCH more reliable. The integration in my system is such that even other ‘HiFi nuts’ didn’t realise there’s a sub in use until I switched it off!

4 Likes

Fantastic! Thanks a lot, very much appreciated Xanthe.
I’m going to give this a go, I’ve tried using my sub for music before but found it didn’t do much, but all I did was connect it up and fiddle with the crossover a bit :grinning:

Thanks again,
Cheers,
Mark

No Mitch thank you for the exploration of Mitch’s space. If I still drank I’d buy you a beer. After chemo and radiation I can be a bit ocd too… assuming I remember :+1:

2 Likes

Dear opus, It sounds like we both have been through our own personal battles.

Good luck mate.

God Bless.

Mitch.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.