Subwoofer additions?

@frenchrooster no not really. SN2 is $5600. US.

1 Like

Today I’m gone try to set the Rel subs at the flor again. This time I will try to set them in the corner and followed the description from Rel. I’m gone remove the bass trap. I don’t think they are any good. I have 2 really big bass traps in the back at my room. Maybe that is enough.

The Wilson Benesch Torus manual also gives useful guidance on positioning - and they surely are the ultimate subs!

Get hold of a copy of REW and a calibrated microphone (such as the minDSP UMIK-1) then find out what’s really happening in your room.

Human ears simply don’t have enough selectivity to set up a sub at any frequencies below about 80Hz.

1 Like

I have connected my subwoofer to my stereo system by soldering Belden 8477 speaker wire to the main speaker cable ( Naca5 - at the speaker end ) and the other end is a bare wire connection to the subwoofer plate amp

The Naca 5 have Cardas spade on the speaker side and the Naim connector on the amplifier side

How can MiniDSP be used in this situation ?

I tried the sub-out from the SN2 but ultimately prefer the sound with the connections this way.

Mine is a semi DiY sealed with with a 10 inch Dayton driver and a Hypex DS4.0 sub amplifier

Nothing fancy i guess.

PS : I have procured a Faitalpro 18XL1600 sub woofer bass driver and intend to make a new sealed cabinet for this with the Hypex DS4.0 - as an experiment. The cabinet volume will be approx 150 Liters.

I already have REW and Umik-1. Always using that when I adjusting the setup. But listening with my ears is the most important. Anyway I will be impressed if the bass gets better that it is now. Maybe louder, but not sure if it get better. One way to find that out. Test it:-) Out with the bass traps and in with the subs at the floor again. The bass traps is the reason that I’ve never try the subs in the corner.

I think you’ll be quite surprised at the improvement.

Worth trying, may be better, may not.

It depends on the room and also on the rigidity / mass of the stands as compared to the floor. The corner is definitely the best place for the bass traps (assuming they are pressure mode devices), as that way they’ll damp both the primary room modes.

I auditioned the Vandersteen Model 3 subwoofer yesterday. I can confirm that it does very nice things for the sound stage and the main speakers sounded better, whether that was relieving them of the lower octaves, or relieving the power amp of same, I cannot tell. Definitely an upgrade. The main speakers were planar mid level Magnepans. It of course enhanced the low couple of octaves. Crossover was set at 80 Hz. Passive HP to mains. 11 band eq to sub. Sub located behind main in the center, about 5 feet behind mains, with things aimed at 45 degrees to the room. Typical demo room with lots of equipment, so a home demo would be in order. No bass traps evident. Sounded very nice.

Dear Xanthe.

Time integration is all about fase - and I have absolutely no problems with timing in my system - adjusted the one sub first so fase was correct and then added the second sub - both subs are as You can see on line with the front of the Sopra 2 front speakers…Both subs are set to play from 28 Hz and down, so they do not in that aspect shadow the fronspeakers, but only add to the “listening” experience with better space around each instrument and give a better timber to voices etc…

I have remove my REL S5 from stand to the floor and in to the corners. The RELs are now playing deeper and louder. This I know, because I have them at the floor earlier, but not in the corner. The timing sounds better at the stands, but it can be that they didn’t play that deep. Little bit fine tuning and I think I will live them at the corner/floor. Happy with the powerfully and deeper sound. Also planning of buying some soft feet for the sub and speakers.

1 Like

have you thought on granite slabs under the subwoofers? or heavy medium wood platforms ( 5 cm height) …

Fair enough.

If I want my sub to play louder I just turn the volume up on it! - easier than moving it and doesn’t mess with the timing. Where my sub is positioned, it’s flat to about 16Hz so I don’t need it to go any deeper.

Xanthe,
Could you divulge what subs you are using and how you have placed them in your room relative to the main speakers and walls? Sorry if you have mentioned it earlier, I couldn’t find this info.

Best regards

Hans

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.