Subwoofer or M scaler?

Hello–Been considering a couple of upgades and wanted to get the general opinion of several options:

Option 1 is to get a pair of Vandersteen Model 3 Subwoofers and M7 crossover, about $7500.

Option 2 is to get the REL 9Ti subwoofer and the M scaler, about the same money

Option 3 is to get the M scaler and wait on the subwoofer a year or so.

Option 4 is to get the Meridian DSW subwoofers + 218 controller

Currently running Roon, Nucleus +, Meridian Ultra Dac, Krell & Apogee Scintillas. So I have MQA covered, but from the good press, the M scaler would give an uplift to all that is not MQA ( I have a Unity Core and a small CD collection). Of course, the M3 Vandersteen subwoofer is claimed to give an uplift to the midrange as a result of freeing up the main speakers.

Interested in your thoughts

I would get the Mscaler with the REL sub

However you need to test this first on your DAC

Thanks Analogmusic
I went with option 1. I am awaiting their arrival any day now. Option 2 was tempting, but what I liked about the Vandersteen was the way it integrated with the Main system. REL uses the mains all the way down to the resonance of the Mains. That means the phase gets messy there and the time alignment is compromised. The Vandersteen crosses over where the mains are still linear for an octave, so it avoids that problem. I also only have about 1-200 CD’s ripped with my Unity Core. So that meant the Mscaler was costing $25 to $50 per CD. I did not spend that much on them originally and since TIDAL and MQA is so good, I have not bought a CD in 6 months. I will let the forum know how the Vandersteens work out.

1 Like

[quote=“bailyhill, post:3, topic:4534, full:true”]
I went with option 1. I am awaiting their arrival any day now. I will let the forum know how the Vandersteens work out.[/quote]

Nice one :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.