Subwoofer

I strongly agree with this recommendation.

However you’ll either need to use a resistor loaded cable or (preferably) to use a line driver (e.g. a miniDSP 2x4) to protect the preamp or active crossover from the capacitative load presented by the cable.

Well, not everyone has such ambitious expectations, fortunately… :kissing_heart:

Pleased that REL have offered good advice.

Assuming you retain the DIN to DIN connection from S1 to the crossover (are you using two cables, one for left and one for right stereo channels?) then there are XLR to RCA cables out there, at varying degrees of cost. One per channel would be needed to drive each REL at line level. According to the manual you would need to set the S1 preamp output to BAL (Rel subs) + DIN (crossover) via the switch.

As the connection to the crossover is unchanged from before, would anything special be needed load wise? Is the S1 pre-amp susceptible to these issues?

Inserting a DSP unit as Xanthe suggested would involve XLR to RCA from S1 to DSP, then RCA to RCA from DSP to subs. Clearly which arrangement you go for will determine how much length of each cable type you need. The DSP unit would help deal with any issues with load matching + give you more control over the subs if you wished - some people swear by them. I don’t use one and am more than happy with my set-up using the pre-amp outputs (RCA) of an Arcam integrated amplifier straight into the line level inputs for each BK’s class A/B plate amp. I now also run separate left/right RCAs via splitters from the same outputs to two class D amps driving my home-built ‘bass modules’ seemingly without any issues.

Thank you Xanthe

HI Alex,
Thanks for the advice. Im only using the left DIN into the SNAXO, this is the way it was set up by NAIM and my dealer. I don’t know why both haven’t been used?

Cheers Pete

I’m not quite sure what is being suggested here.

From my understanding subwoofer can receive:

1. A full range signal either at line level (pre-amp) or high level (taken from a speaker’s input terminals or the amplifier). This should be a full range signal. The subwoofer’s internal crossover (LPF) will then filter out the higher frequencies. In the case of a high level signal being sent to the subwoofer BEFORE it gets to the main speakers, some subwoofers (but not many) do apply a high pass filter to the output to the mains. This is intended more for use with smaller speakers and uses the power from the main stereo amplifier, passed through the subwoofer, to power the speakers.

2. A signal that already has a low pass filter of some sort applied at line level (amplifier/receiver with built in LPF or full EQ/DSP) and will be connected via the LFE input (no sub crossover applied) or with additional crossover applied at the subwoofer if required.

3. Some, but very few, subwoofers have built in stereo amplification (the Piega T-Micro sub being one) so that the stereo speakers receive a high passed amplified signal from the subwoofer itself as well as the subwoofer doing its own thing with the low frequency content. The subwoofer effectively has a 2.1 channel amplifier.

4. There are some systems that employ a subsonic filter to protect smaller subs/drivers from the very lowest frequencies.

To my understanding, these are the different ways of a subwoofer receiving a signal that it can work with.

Both DIN output sockets on the S1 carry L&R signals so you’d only need to use one of them (as you have) via a single SNAIC4 to connect to the Supercap (and then via the Burndy cable to SNAXO).

1 Like

It’s sounded fine and in stereo for the last 3 years so I assumed it was connected properly :laughing:

… you never know though until it’s explained!

Thanks James

2 Likes

Yeah, I think you’d have noticed if something was amiss :grinning:

1 Like

With a spare stereo DIN socket + two free XLR outputs it sounds like there is the option to fit multiple subwoofers😀

In all seriousness, with correct cable it should be a relatively straightforward hook-up.

I’ve decided to go for the REL G1 MKII single at the moment and see how I get on. Thanks to all that have joined and commented on this thread I really appreciate the advice given and the banter! (very British :wink:)

When I get it all set up I’ll give some feedback.

Cheers Pete

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.