Super Lumina DIN5-5 cable bright?

I believe the high frequency anomaly is being generated elsewhere such as the non-Naim connection DIN cables. I’m keeping the SL DIN5-5 in the system…

In addition I have new speaker cables designed to Naim’s specifications, Audio Envy SP12’S. I also have their Digital Coax Cable on the way. Essentially, this is a wire that almost floats in air. It achieves the industry lowest Eddie current and a renowned capacitance at 7pf foot! This baby is extremely accurate.

1 Like

So everything was fine with the SL cable before you added the non-Naim power supplies. You add the power supplies and the problems start. So you point the finger at the SL cable. That doesn’t sound entirely logical.

Why not take out the power supplies and buy the proper Naim units? Spending on wires in the hope of covering up the problem is probably not the most sensible way to go.

3 Likes

Hi @Gracie.1

Nigel = @HungryHalibut as always gives good advice here, as does @Mike_S who actually owns the SL cable.

It’s good you are keeping the SL cable, because it is highly likely it has done no wrong in your system set up, if this artificially high frequency intensity wasn’t there soon after you introduced it?

Equally so, the NACA5 just ‘works’ with naim amplification, and changing it at this point in time, in my view is only introducing another variable into the equation, to try to solve the problem.

You have a very good amplifier, highly compatible speaker cable, and excellent loudspeakers, it should all be sounding very musical without the problem you’ve described.

As a sidebar, I would suggest that you look at your system layout, as from the only photograph I have seen of it you have it placed horizontally on a piece of furniture. If possible, try it in a different configuration, and recheck the cable dressing.

Naim HiCaps have proven to be an outstanding, reliable and quality power supply for many years, providing listening enhancement to thousands of systems.

In my opinion, if you had purchased one with naim interconnects, this thread would most probably have not appeared here.

Sorry if this all sounds like another play of the same recorded information above, and I hope you will soon be able to hear the music and not the system.

3 Likes

Thanks HH and Mike, your consistent and positive replies are always appreciated.

I’m currently not in the position to compare the HICAP directly.

2 Likes

While I don’t own a non Naim PS, I have heard the Naim options as well as the one that is probably being referred to. Between the two, the Naim would be considered the brighter of the two. I have not owned the SN but I would assume your seeing something similar as when I added the HCDR to the 282. Adding the power supply did bring a more forward presentation to the sound & I too actually preferred the more laid back signature sound pre PS, but I kept the HCDR because I didn’t want to loose all the other aspects the PS added/improvements to the sound.

So I’m assuming its a combo of adding a PS & the SL possibly being a bit on the brighter side/allowing all the extra details through. This combined with the room may have tipped the sound too far in the bright direction for your taste. As for the panels, 2" depth will really be limited in the frequency that its absorbing, at a min you would want about a 4" panel. Adding a 1" or so air gap between the panel & the wall will help it extend lower in its absorption range.

Daren_P, Thans for your guidance in this matter.
I do agree that I’m up against a combination of factors that cannot to be remedied with a magic bullet. It’s not a one size fits all solution.

I will take your advice on the acoustic panel and insure the proper thickness and installation!

As always, thank you everyone for your knowledge and expertise with all things Naim. I believe I have all of the information needed to move beyond this point.
G.1

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.