SuperCap DR for SuperNait 2

I’ve combed through much of the forum and elsewhere and really have found nothing definitive on the standalone subject without it devolving or simply drifting into, ‘you should move from the Integrated to separates’ kind of discussion. I’d really only like the conversation to remain within the thread title if anyone has the experience: Has anyone used a SuperCap DR with a SN2 or even a SN3? Is it worth the cost over a HiCap DR? This is for SQ purposes only. I know most use the SC on a streamer, Superline, Headline or in a separates scenario, but would the SN benefit from one over a HC?

I currently use a HC DR with my SN2 and have an opportunity to purchase a SC DR for a hard to dismiss price. I could sell the HC DR and really only be out about $1.2K or so, that’s how good a deal it would end up. It would also open up the possibility for separates upgrades in the future, though that is not even on the radar at this point. I really, really enjoy the SN2, so have no upgraditis and am not tempted in the least to switch to something else right now.

Any thoughts or experiences is greatly appreciated!

1 Like

I’m not really seeing huge benefits of the SC over the HC. You’d only be using 2 power rails just the same as the HC. :thinking:

1 Like

I had wondered this, too, @Guinnless. So futureproofing an upgrade is really the only benefit? If that’s the case I’d likely pass, but so much has been discussed about what it does for other components that it had to be asked to satisfy my curiosity.

With your speakers I’d be looking at a better amp. :slightly_smiling_face:
I think your source would be ok with that but I’m no expert.

1 Like

You’re likely right, I’m afraid. Good news is the speakers are here to stay for a looooooong time. Best I’ve owned across the frequency spectrum without a doubt. Funding a Naim pre/amp would be VERY tricky, so just trying to squeeze out as much as I can from this, though I may have already maxed-out my options in the Naim realm of Integrated and PSU.

Is used kit off the list? A NAC82/NAP250 in serviced condition and the sale of the SN2 could be a good deal…:slightly_smiling_face:

Used is never off the list. I hadn’t considered that combo, as I wasn’t certain which pre/amp combinations ‘outclass’ or outperform the SN (2 or 3). Interesting.

With the D7 I’d be looking at moving to a 282/HC/250DR. That assumes that the ND5XS2 and Qutest is up to the task, something I just don’t know.

1 Like

Hi, @anon4489532! Those were my initial, ‘if I am to upgrade to separates, those are the models I’d be looking to purchase.’ Price is just too steep for me right now. As for streamer and DAC, I have little doubt they’d be up to the task, but I could be wrong. Regardless, I feel they’re very magical/musical together. Always appreciate reading your input.

I bought a brand new SN1 when they came out, coming from a 72/HC/250 olive. I was not impressed with the SN and immediately tried it with the HC. It improved the sound but I still didn’t like it. So I decided to upgrade to separates. As chance would have it a SC2 became available so that was my first step. The SC2 was an improvement and it was only then I could really enjoy the SN. So I think a SC would be a nice improvement and if you’re going separates anyway it really doesn’t matter in the end.

3 Likes

You could try it and if you thought it was significantly better, keep it, else sell it on and maybe make something on the sale - although that could be awkward if you were buying it from a friend.

1 Like

My first thought when reading the thread title was that it seems like overkill. Then I remembered substituting a Supercap for a Hicap in my 72/HC/250 system. Noticeably better.

Given the cost differential you cite, I’d probably go for it even if you are only using a fraction of the SC’s capacity.

1 Like

Nope

A Supernait 2 is maxed out with a Hicap DR, the Supercap DR might sound slightly better but isn’t worth it unless you are going down the 82, 282, 52, 252 pathway and only the 52 and 252 can make full use of the power rails of the Supercap DR.

2 Likes

Thanks all of you so much for your responses. It really does give me something to think about. It is absolutely good to know the future prospects all in one thread like this.

The prospective purchase would be from a friend who is willing to sell to me, so I think if I’m wavering due to the idea that there is no real improvement with what I have currently, then I feel like I have an obligation to tell him to move it on and make what it’s worth on the used market. It is a nice gesture, though. I just think I’m not at the point of changing out what is a very enjoyable system to me. It is such a rare thing to be in this kind of position that in some ways I don’t wish to ‘fool with it’; there’s also finding funds and available models on the used market, so there’s that, too.

Anyway, very appreciative for what you guys bring to first-world dilemmas like this. :wink:

1 Like

Well if the guy is a friend, surely he would let you borrow it to try for a few days? A member here
( Bart) used to run a supercap with an SN2 I believe.

1 Like

He certainly would. He lives some distance from me, but I venture his way often enough during the year that he’d have no problem letting me audition it. I had just wondered if there would be consensus enough here for me to just outright purchase blind, which it seems as most have pointed out might not be worth it with the SN2 (but most certainly with other combinations).
Interesting about @Bart, though. Thanks for the heads-up!

1 Like

In your situation, I would also find it hard to resist the temptation of a bargain Supercap DR.

Although you mention that you do not want to discuss a move to separates, that still might be an option to consider for the future.

In that case, I would skip the tempting offer of the SCDR, save the money and go for either used a NAC282 or NAP250 as soon as one appears when you can afford it. As a temporary compromise, the Supernait could be used as a power amp with the 282 or as a pre-amp with the 250. The improvements would be gradual, but one day you could have a 282/HCDR/250, which I am sure will outperform the Supernait on its own.

Alternatively, just stay with the Supernait/HR combination, keep saving and improve your sources and speakers, as suggested by others.

1 Like

Thank you, @Leggit! That is a really well-thought-out set of options. I think I am in agreement here, as someday, ultimately, I would like to have that kind of combination. Nothing wrong with a gradual climb. I often forget that when I’m so often consumed with wanting the best sound now mentality. Lots to mull over. Thanks for your insight.

You could also contemplate getting the Supercap DR for the nice price, and join it with a Superline. (I have been looking for that opportunity as well, as I now run a SN2 with a Superline + HiCap). Then the gradual climb could even reach the Nac 252, should it present itself (as you already would have the Supercap DR and then could run the Superline directly from the Nac 252) :slight_smile: All these possibilities…

Regards

2 Likes