Supercap vs Hicap

That was basically my thoughts as well, went from dual HCDR’s on the 282 to the SC & if there were any differences, to me they were very minor. In my case, it was just a stepping stone on the path to the 252, so made sense but otherwise my thoughts would be the cost would be very hard to justify (even second hand, though if you did have dual HC’s, selling them off would cover a good portion, so not so bad in that case).

1 Like

Based on my experience with the 82, the SC will give you more 282, but it won’t change the character of the sound. For a true upgrade, go for the 252.

3 Likes

If a 252 is on the cards, get a SC.
If not, the 282 will sound great with 2 HCs.
My dealer has previously advised me against a SC on my 282.
Whether 2 HC or a single SC, the 282 only has 4 power rails. Clearly things are different with a 252, being able, via burndy to use all the rails from a SC.
As an architecture, naim are very good at tempting you to the next level earlier than you know it. The key is knowing where you want to end up from day one. Something most, if not all of us knew.
The 252 vs 282 and SC vs 2 HCs will rumble on forever.

3 Likes

Wise words.

2 Likes

The SC opens the itch to upgrade to a 252 very quickly, well for me :slight_smile:

282/HCDR to 282/SCDR to my lugs a substantial upgrade (don’t forget to factor in the cost of two SNAICs) after a short while the 282 was replaced with a 252.

252DR is lovely much better than the none DR 252 I tried several years ago.

Then a 552DR appeared on the used market I couldn’t resist!!

3 Likes

Wilco, delivery date confirmed but not until early November

1 Like

Don’t forget that if you have a (2)82 then going from 2xHC to SC gets rid of one box. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Which was my excuse.

OK, so my wife didn’t buy it either. But I though it was worth a try :laughing:

6 Likes

I’ve heard that, load of tosh, the only thing there is “too much” of is good music.

2 Likes

Have to disagree with you there, You can’t have ‘too much’ good music.

1 Like

Clearly missed that the demo went well. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Indeed, I listened first to my ‘go to’ track for equipment demos, Tanita Tikaram’s ‘Twist in my Sobriety’, my dealer had set up the same system as I currently have except a Rega cart’ on the P10 as opposed to my Dynavector, as I said there was a palpable difference as the stylus dropped into the groove, I’m not very good with describing audio, but it was just an all round gain, and especially as a 252 is on the cards in the next year or 2 I didn’t hesitate.

1 Like

‘Shrouds have no pockets’

2 Likes

This agrees with my experience of adding a Supercap to my 82. It was one of those big leaps in performance that didn’t require thinking about. And if you know you want to end up with a 252 it’s a sensible stepping stone.

1 Like

That is so very true. And with that in mind, the Canon 5D IV arrived chez moi last Thursday (along with its 670 page manual………)

And I think, I got away with it!

3 Likes

In my opinion: on nac 52, maybe also 252, the analog circuits are fed by Burndy and 4 Supercap regulators; on 82 and 282 the analog circuits are fed by 2 independent Snaics with also 4 Supercap regulators. Advantage to the Burndy which allows a single ground and 0v for the analogue more interesting than 2 Snaics which circulate 2 separate grounds and 0v.

Believe there is more to it than that.

The 52 makes more use of the various outputs on the SuperCap, than an 82 does.

On the nac 52 each circuit is independently powered at 24v. 1x24v for each of the analog input buffer circuits type 529 (829) Right channel 1x24v and Left channel 1x24v + the 2 gain circuits Right 1x24v and Left 1x24v; in total 4X24v for the input buffer stages and the gain output stages. Also like the Nac 82 (4x24v) but with 2 Hicap and 2 Snaics. Advantage of the Burndy 52 a single ground and 0v. The other 24v of the Supercap can be used for NA522 or 523 phono cards, for 524 monitor circuits, for 528 adjustable gain cards.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.