Superlative Service from Naim

Niceeeee. Always good to hear some praise…
:muscle::fire:

2 Likes

Indeed that’s a great experience and what keeps so many of us coming back (both here and to our dealers).

.sjb

2 Likes

Thank you Vauxhall for your kind words.
Always nice to have positive feedback - we aim to please!

Enjoy.
Neil.

9 Likes

Great news, especially as my 2004 CDS3 is yet to go back to HQ!

2 Likes

Same here !

1 Like

Great to hear such positive feedback. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

A really good tale - and a nice antidote to those who post with unfounded moans :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi @NeilS you will shortly be seeing one of my SuperUnitis which is on its way to you for a service. I know you will be gentle with it! But I would be very interested to know what you find wrong, causing distortion and general malaise in the amplifier…

Best

David

My CDS3 and XPS2 are 13 years old, I just purchased them in August. The Naim support people were supremely helpful when I talked to them about their service recommendations :+1:
I just drove the units to the dealer yesterday and looking forward to the results :slight_smile:
(Mine had a mech failure in 2015 but the German distributor still had a VAM 1250 and switched it in. Since then it was barely used by the previous owner, so it’s a bit special to have a good-as-new VAM1250 still. Naim will probably not change it)

Suedkiez, if you want to keep the VAM 1250 mech then I would make it very clear in your instructions to Naim. However, my experience would indicate that there is little to concern any CDS3 owner when the time comes for a new laser mech. I’ve owned mine for long enough to remember the old forum discussions about needing to use an “inferior” mech due to the discontinuation of the VAM 1250. As with most topics on our forum, there were extreme views expressed about the subject. I can assure you that there is nothing inferior about my CDS3 since its return from HQ :grin:

1 Like

Thanks, I did ask them and they said that if it isn’t faulty they will not change it. This is also fair to other CDS3 etc. owners who are in need of a 1202 now or later - no point in depleting stocks by replacing perfectly fine 1250s.

Indeed, I know about the discussions but also about the many later positive comments by members who received a new one back. (I am not DR-ing the XPS2 in the hope that one day I will make a killing when a hype starts about “Naim lost its way with the DR and there was more PRaT without DR” :wink: )

1 Like

Good to hear of your experience. And good to hear there’s someone else out there eschewing streaming in favour of the cd.

3 Likes

Hi David,

I will certainly keep an eye out for it, could be interesting as the SU isn’t known for distortion issues.
You mention amplifier - I take it that means the problem manifests itself on all inputs?
Which dealer will it coming via?

Regards
Neil.

Hi Neil

Yes the issue is there both on an analogue input that I use for an external FM tuner and also on upnp streaming files from my Core. I have another SuperUniti in my office, so I know what they should sound like.

The distortion sounds like crossover distortion to me, but as well as that it lacks power and the midrange is kind of recessed.

The dealer is PJ HiFi in Guildford. I dropped it off there over a week ago and they said they would courier it within a day or two, so I guess it should be with you by now.

Best

David

Ok David, duly noted.
Will keep them peeled!

Neil.

I have a naim cd 3.5 and it occasionally skips after a few hours playing and sometimes when listening to music with a heavy bass response. It’s situated on a mission isoplat on a soundstyle rack. Unfortunately, i was told some time ago that the Philips Vam 1205 laser assembly is no longer available. It’s been a while since i was given this bad news and i was wondering if there are any other new Naim authorised alternatives?
Mike H

NeilS didn’t mention the CD3.5 in this post, “CDX2, CDS3, or CD555 with a view on long-term servicability?
but he will probably be able to tell you if you summon him by @ plus Username (edit: unless you replied to him anyway, I can never tell if it’s a reply when it immediately follows the previous post

Hi Mike,

We can indeed still replace the laser assembly in CD3-5s. :wink: :+1:

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Roger all that Vauxhall i haad occasion to return my CD5xs for a second time for attention
(one of the analogue boards needed replacing ) They very kindly offered all repairs ‘down to larkin’ which took a little longer due to the lock down but it arrived back yesterday sounding better then ever!
Thanks to Henry O’Brian and the service guys for a job well done outstanding!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.