Superline alternative

I thought both the 52 and 252 powered inputs were provided by two dedicated rails from the Supercap powering the preamp ?

1 Like

Buy a Kronos, but obviously audition first. They are outstanding turntables

I thought the same for the 52/SC - the SC should power the Superline.

From my understanding, the only real upgrade would be a separate SC DR to power the Superline directly.

Ah, but it depends. With the 252, it’s powered from separate windings of the SC. You can also power it with a 282, but then it’s not from separate SC windings. So I think the question is if the 52 is the same as the 252 in this regard.

It is. Richard has commented on this several times.

2 Likes

Yes, the NAC52 powered AUX2 is fed from separate windings and regulators in the power supply.

2 Likes

Then I’m curious why @NickofWimbledon was told what he was told :slight_smile:

That was rather why I mentioned it.

I’d accept ‘more detailed’, but have wondered about this advice on and off for some time.

2 Likes

The most generous view I have come up with is that the 52 was known to be very second-hand and at that point unserviced, and they knew I had a freshly re-capped Hicap redundant at the time.

A less generous explanation is that they hoped to sell me a SCRD for it, and knew that it beats the Hicap option in every musical box.

FWIW, I just swapped back to Aux 2 - it is perfectly good, less detailed at the margin but that’s not obvious on Deguello, which is what is playing now.

I am sure that a dedicated SCDR for the Supercap is better because I have heard an A/ B test that showed just that.

I’d also probably still vote for the Hicap over Aux 2 in my room and hi-fi, but that seems much more arguable. If I were really obsessive, I’d probably be swapping depending on what I was playing, but that way madness lies…

In any event, it looks like the original advice came from ears more like @Bluesfan 's and less like mine. Perhaps I am getting deafer…

4 Likes

Sorry about 3 posts in a row, but I have an update!

I received today a new 576R airplugZ in place of the standard 560R I used to use (and thanks to all here for the guidance on that).

Switching between SL/ Hicap and SL-Aux 2 last time I came down on favour of the Hicap (2% more detail and 0.55 less boogie perhaps).

With the better plug, the balance is fractionally more trebly (than it was though not enough to change the capacitance plus for a higher score). However, I can’t hear anything via the Hicap that I am not hearing via the Aux 2.

Of course, I could be fooling myself, so I’ll do a blind test on a couple of mates when I get a chance, to see if they agree. And that way they can do it for me too.

3 Likes

if I had not read this thread and related ones, I would not have borrowed a airplug. Had i not borrowed an airplug, I would not have ordered one of my own.

Had it not been for other comments, I would probably have gone ages without trying the Aux 2 versus Hicap thing again - it was recalling the ‘absolutely necessary’ comments that got me to swap over - and to swap back shortly afterwards when the postman brought the airplug.

So a big thank you to all because the upshot is that there is now a positive reason not to use the Hicap, which means that I can regard the new airplug as giving markedly better sound for a negative net cost!

6 Likes

My experience powering the Superline started with my 552, which I enjoyed for many years. Out of curiosity I tried a HiCap DR thinking there’s no way it could outperform the 552 power tap. It only took a few seconds to hear the advantage of the separate power supply. A Supercap DR was added shortly thereafter which took the Superline into another realm. This is where the phono stage becomes world class and how it was designed to work best.

4 Likes

Hi @ChrisBell - interesting stuff.

As mentioned, I found the Hicap marginally better (net) than Aux 2 on my 52 when using a standard plug but just changed my mind after swapping to a different resistance and a better plug. It looks like you found the gap bigger - and apparently in line with my previous view. Of course, I will try swapping back and doing a blind test when I have someone on-hand to help - either way, for me, the gap is small. Perhaps I am just a bit deafer.

It may be that HCDR does the job much better than an olive Hicap, but my guess is that this is all room/ system/ taste dependent.

The one point where I think everyone agrees is that SCDR + Superline is the best combination, even if it means it is competing with an entirely different price range of phono stages.

3 Likes

Still don’t get how a change in just a few OhmsR for Naim stages makes such a big difference, yet for others you might need at least, say 50.

This Nick. The SL that we used loved an SC-DR far more to these cloth ears than our serviced olive SC.
Conversely, we preferred our 52 with the olive SC than with the SC-DR.

It’s almost as though the SL was designed and optimised to be powered by an SC-DR via the Burndy cable…

Best regards, BF

I suspect that it’s down to circuit design, which makes the SL far more sensitive than other phono stages to the resistive loading.

Hi @jlewis - in my case I changed from a standard 560R to a 576R airplug Z, a considerable better plug. I suspect that the old plug’s bassier balance is probably why there seemed to be more detail with a Hicap, because I can’t honestly say I am hearing any loss of detail or stereo image now from switching between Hicap and Aux2, and I think the Aux 2’s ‘everything in its proper place’ and ‘boogie’ factors are now the swing factors in which I prefer.

TBH, in my system the improvement (not just difference) between plugs in overall sound quality is bigger than the difference between the two methods of powering the SL - to me that gap is not that big - but there is perhaps something synergistic going on too. Other ears and other systems will quite correctly get different answers I suspect.

2 Likes

Finding the proffered explanations difficult to swallow!

1. It’s about matching to the electrical parameters of the cartridge, rather than some special sensitivity related to the Naim circuit, unless…
  2. The Naim circuit has some fundamental peculiarity, for example an additional R running in parallel (which would explain the high figures of the matcinng plugs?).
1 Like

I’ll have to leave other people to explain what is going on because I can’t.

Going from 560R to 576R seems to increase treble bias a tiny bit. The upgrade to an airplug is more relevant to quality I suspect.

Why that has changed me away from marginally preferring Hicap+SL (one view on this site) to Aux 2 + SL (another way some people prefer it) is something I don’t know, but FWIW…

The Hicap seemed to give a bit more detail at the expense of a tint bit of swing/ boogie, but now I don’t seem to be getting more detail on Hicap or losing out on Aux 2. Perhaps the better plug helps with detail in some way I don’t understand, and there isn’t any extra to be had (to my ears) by having both better plug and Hicap aimed at the same uplift. As you can see, I don’t know how this works at all…

2 Likes

Bingo!

3 Likes