Superline Service Quandary/Disappointment.😮‍💨

Nd 555 release 2018?

So have naim built serviceability into nd555 and ndx2 ? Or is not known because these items have not yet been returned for service ?

They have both suffered reed relay failures which would need resoldering?

The answer depends on how the defect ( duff relay) was fixed. They could have swapped out an entire board rather than get the soldering iron out. Unlikely but possible.

1 Like

Well, in the light of this issue I’ve been told that Naim are undergoing an investigation into current products. That’s all I know at the moment.

6 Likes

This sounds like politics… French politics. And is it NO servicing at all or isolated around certain components and if so which?

So you’re suggesting some known insight - wrt to design flaw in relation to NDS serviceability - during development of ND555 - through maybe 2016-17-18, then built in to changed thinking and design ( for better serviceability) from NDS to ND555, when it was released in 2018 ?

In which case it may be a reasonable assumption, or deduction, that this general issue was maybe known or at least the potential was understood, before SuperLine’s started to appear for service, from 2020 or when ever …

Hmmmm :thinking:

It sounds like the former.

Given other recent decisions that Naim (Focal) have made; Website debacle, new products with no thought as to how to connect with old products, Solstice cartridge.

Are they now just going to become another mainstream electronics company, selling items with no further interaction.

DG…

2 Likes

Good. I think all we can ask for is clarity into what support can be offered to boxes going forward.

1 Like

I highlighted the relevant piece from the Naim statement, as I was getting somewhat confused. But it clearly says that the NDS cannot be serviced due to its design.

This is an extraordinary statement. Surely NDS’s have been serviced up to this point? Is it related to new work practices? Economics?

And as people have rightly pointed out, what other products are affected.

This is quite a development.

3 Likes

Completely agree.
On my part, would go as afar as saying a “seismic event”. As I genuinely think the ground has literally shifted under my feet.

For some years have believed that Naim is different from all the other Hi-end HiFi manufacturers. Not just their engineering approach or their sound signature or any other positive brand characteristics. But specifically, their ability to support and service in production and legacy products. For me and my buying decisions that aspect has had an instrumental influence on purchasing Naim and system building over many years, with complete confidence.

So, buying a SuperLine as new, then 12 months later discovering it cannot / will not be serviced is literally “extraordinary” as you suggest.

I’ll repeat, again, I feel so strongly about this.

For now, I’m focused on my SuperLine and what happens next. But, also have questions about other Naim items that I might add in the years to come. That’s also in mind over this situation. I now have questions about product serviceability I never had before.

R

8 Likes

It’s doesn’t even make any sense, indeed, when I first read it, my initial thought was “PR spin”. How can a design issue that prohibits a service on three of Naim’s top classic series products only suddenly be discovered literally more than a decade after they have been in production?

2 Likes

I’ve not opened it up to look, that’s from measuring with a meter when trying to track down a hum on my PTP, I had the motor plate earthed to the plug but the bearing plate and arm grounded to the superline. and that was the resistance between the two. My 552 is currently grounded via the post on the back to the earth pin of a plug while my ND555 is away.

While the superline was away I borrowed a 1:26 SUT to use between SPU Century and a Stageline N and I’m still using it. On the SPU Century with the Stageline powered from the 552 I preferred it to the superline/supercap before and after Naim had modded it.

Hmmmm, yes, understand that sentiment.

In fact, on that idea, I’ve been doing my own independent thinking on this topic too. See a few posts back, copied below…

It’s been slowly dawning on me this issue may have been brewing for a while. So suspect your idea is correct.

No doubt the service department has been doing a heroic job - quietly getting on with an operational requirement to provide services for these items - but at the same time reporting difficulties.

One can only imagine there has been a trigger point - maybe only recently - that has caused a policy decision and the very swift action, to curtail any further “liability”.

Whilst that might be viewed as a good outcome for the supplier, it’s not a good outcome for the SuperLine customer. Surely, a more balanced outcome would be to offer some mutually acceptable alternative. Such as a rebuild, replacing whole board, at a reasonable price.

1 Like

I don’t think so - see my earlier post.

I’m sure that will come in time after Naim have been able to fully review things.

Worth repeating here that any necessary repair work on NDS and Superline is not affected and continues as per normal.

We understand that Naim can fix faults with NDS and SL.
What we are, as you also found when struggling with, is that they cannot undertake servicing on these items. And this is something Naim has advocated is undertaken every 12 to 15 years.
With SL, I expect the early models have hit this 12-15 year point. And hence revealed this latent design shortfall.
The service team has clearly struggled to work on these PCBs, not because of their skills, but because they have been presented with an item that was not designed to be serviced. And not helped with early versions of the PCB being brittle. They quite rightly have now said no to any more servicing of these items.

Sounds like Naim is now having a review regarding the serviceability of their current and former products.
We look forward to the output of this review.

2 Likes

Hey guys
Come on … I am a little ashamed what is going on here. Especially with all the speculations on Naim turning to the dark side. There is not a slightest hint. And also they are very very experienced - and know what they are doing. Once again - will never ever forget @NeilS 2o clock in the morning support! Where do get this?
Why should there be a sudden change in the way the service is going (e.g. for SL). When over the years you experienced a 50/50 chance to do it without replacement of full pcb - one day you have to pull the plug.

Please let us get back to music and to what we have :star_struck:

5 Likes

Listening to my SL as we right !

3 Likes

It may be that stocks of PCBs that were originally substantial have been gradually eroded by damage incurred during servicing. The difficult decision to stop servicing is necessary to safeguard the ability to repair units going forwards.

1 Like

As NDS was produced in 2012, I don’t think many have sent it yet. But it’s time now.
The disappointments begin.
One member posted above that he recently serviced his NDS and observed a better sound.
I will have to take a decision in 2 years. Nd555 or another brand.

2 Likes