Superline Service Quandary/Disappointment.😮‍💨

So, just taken delivery of a May 2008 Superline.( thanks Steve…)
Quick plug in and it sounds great, and i thought my current phono ( cyrus signature and power supply) would be hard to beat.
So, the usual advice would suggest a service is overdue, and online pictures show a superline to be full of electrolytics.
Thoughts ?

2 Likes

Why not? Turnaround times are pretty good. Surely it is worth maximising what you have bought.

Bruce

1 Like

Most likely I’ll get it sent to Salisbury. I’ll speak to my dealer tomorrow. The service cost will be about 45% of what I paid.
My reticence is how good it is sounding for its 16.5 years of service
I’d be interested to know if others have had their Superlines serviced,mine is an early one. The worst bit is the bleeding logo. It came with about 10 DIN plugs of differing resistances, the black SNAIC, and a mains lead!

1 Like

Mine is an early superline - sounding great and not yet serviced since I bought it new.

2 Likes

Maybe the answer is be sure it’s the phonostage you want to keep long term.

And then if that’s the case, get it serviced.

It may well be fine for a few more years.

2 Likes

My experience is this. I have bought alot of Naim boxes and had most of them serviced if they were outside the prescribed time frames.

They have been sold on and lucky new owners. Did they all really need a service? Not so sure. I certainly didn’t get my money back on them. But it gave me peace of mind.

A phonostage may have less use than say a Supercap DR. So you might want to leave it a few months and see how you get on before spending more money.

4 Likes

All my Olive gear has been serviced, all three sets! My daughter’s, son’s, and my “second system” have all benefited!
£400 or so will get the Superline back to its original design.
I’ll talk to the dealer in the morning and see what the turnaround time is like at Salisbury. I’m away quite a bit in the next quarter, so I’ll try to arrange it for when I’m away from home.

3 Likes

Not much of a quandary then!

.sjb

1 Like

Not really ! Listening via speakers and it feels like it is missing something at the bottom end. Maybe i need to play with loading plugs a bit more ?
At 16.5 years old I’ll fork out the money !

2 Likes

I would do the same. Just serviced so much gear and then sold it on. Lesson for me is to keep it longer! But then I wouldn’t have my system! :rofl:

3 Likes

I’d concur with this. There is always a worry when you buy second hand, so getting a service will be peace of mind that you made a solid purchase. Its what I do, and just did on a 2014 555PS DR

1 Like

You won’t go wrong with a service anyhow. Once done, that’s it for good 10 years on OC kit, and maybe up to 15 years!

3 Likes

My cd555psu is next on the list after the Superline.

1 Like

It’s a low power device so servicing isn’t as critical as, say a power amp or a power supply. Capacitors can last 50 years - they may or may not need replaced. If it sounds great, just keep using it!

3 Likes

Lot of caps in here, board is suspended on a heavy brass plate and springs.

3 Likes

I had my 2008 serviced just pre Covid and I’m not sure I could hear any change.

1 Like

Only plugged mine in quickly last night. Need a longer listening session. Think ill get it serviced. Not least as next year, the price will be even higher. And as others have said, gives piece of mind.
Do need to play with loadings. Mine came with about 10 different loads. Someone over the years has been trying lots between 400ohm and 600ohm.

1 Like

Congrats on your new addition
It’s a beauty :+1:

When you’ve experimented with the loading plugs, you may wish to try the Naim Z-foil Airplugs for the values you prefer. (Your local dealer can supply them, from Naim, on request).

Also, lots of discussion on both new and old forums on best plug values for various cartridges.

Good luck
R

2 Likes

Good words !

1 Like

Well, turns out that naim no longer service a Superline. It has been added to a list that includes cd555 and nds. They will repair, but no longer service.