Superline Service Quandary/Disappointment.😮‍💨

Other quality brands absolutely offer service- either via service partners, factory or a mixture of both. Bang and Olufsen and Chord Electronics are two I am personally aware of, but there are many more. It’s expected and recommended with premium products. Its with cheap consumables that they are expected to be discarded and recycled and replaced after a relatively short life time.

However meny high end manufacturers will cap a duration for being able to service - after which it may not be possible or reasonable endeavours only simply because of the non availability of parts.

2 Likes

So. What’s the service interval for a 8" 150 Class Wedge Gate Valve, 316 Trim, to NACE MR0175. :grinning:

Depends on how it is important to you. You might run to failure/maintenance if it does not have significant impact to your business. If however, you’re impacted signficantly you would require some intervention to prevent failure. What and how often depends on what is flowing through it and there may be some external/environmental factors also. I.e. agree what the expected degredation mechamisms are.
If it is important to your business, then a good choice of materials during design should reduce degradation mechanisms to a minimum.

So. It’s down to the user, not the manufacturer.

The manufacturer will have recomendations which are a good starting point, but the owner will, over time " optimise" their maintenance strategy based on a whole load of things. Depending on your process, many owners will just follow the OEMs advice.

I am and I’m not. The concept of high value electronics retaining use, let alone value, across decades is pretty unusual generally. I feel I’ve had plenty of return on the outlay to date, anything more is a bonus now. I would be a bit miffed if I’d bought one a month ago but I’d still be expecting 15 years out of it at least.

3 Likes

Guess who bought one 2 weeks ago circa 2008 and had already enquired about a service. 2 working days later…

As i have mentioned a few times, these are still available new from dealers at £2999. I made an enquiry at one dealer and asked when a SL would be due.
" We suggest 12 to 15 years, so no rush" was the reply. Said dealer was not aware of the email from naim a week or so before.:confounded:

3 Likes

Guess who bought a new SuperLine just 12 months ago, (as well as a new HCDR as external psu and several Airplugs to keep and use over a lifetime of use).

At the time I bought this SuperLine, I believed it would get a service at first service interval - say 12 years - and so this SuperLine would go for 25+ years. That was a fundamental basis for spending my hard earned and hard saved money with Naim on what we perceived to be probably the best mc phono stage.

As there has been a range of opinions on this topic, I also see anyone’s thoughts and response to this latest news, has a lot to do with how much “value” you place on the Naim customer promise and service element of their offer? In my case, yes, I believed it to be worth something.

5 Likes

I don’t see any bashing of the Service Department that does a great job.

The criticism is aimed at corporate management decisions, as this is only one of the top level decisions that’s caused concern on this Forum.

DG…

4 Likes

I haven’t read anything that specifically stated that the decision re servicing the SL, NDS, & CD555 was made at ‘corporate’ or board level??

1 Like

Exactly. No one is bashing the service department; in fact, the opposite is true. They have been given an impossible task of servicing an item that, due to its design, cannot be (easily or sustainably) serviced.
Equally, I am not sure any decision not to service SL or NDS has been made at a board level—I really hope a board has more important things to deal with. Although it would be intresting to know who has made the decision. But i get why naim will not share that.

This is very simply a design issue.

3 Likes

Are you sure about that ?
If I let the ps switched off 4 days per week and on 3 days, is it better for the caps longevity than switched on 7 / 7 days ?

You are asking the wrong question.

The question is,
“how does naim recomend I use item X and what is the service requirements of item X if I follow the advice ?”

If you read @ratrat post I responded to, I don’t think my question is a wrong question.
What consumers more the caps, switching on 7/7 days or 3 days switched off and 4 on?
As I can’t follow the 4 hours switch on ratrat recommendations.

Would assume not a recommendation but more something explaining why naim’s requires services.

Never serviced my other brand components (Countepoint, Electrocompaniet,…) …but have to admit never had them for more than 10 years…

1 Like

@frenchrooster @Hififan

Hey - Not me guys.
Look again at the author of that post?

Please - would you mind -amend any posts accordingly.
Thank you
R

2 Likes

I confound Ratrat with @Fatcat . Sorry.

2 Likes

A design that has been around for 16 years or more. RoHS directive containing regulations forbidding lead in solder has been in place since July 2006 so both NDS and SL should already be made and evaluated with this solder. I believe the timing is questionable leaning towards top management decision based on other criteria’s. We will never know I guess.

6 Likes

'lytic caps drain wether it’s powered up or off regardless.

I did wonder what this option i have is too. Caps degrade straight after manufacture, but slower if not used and/or kept cool ( like most of us). But as my SL is powered via my 282, and that spends 95% of the time powered up, i dont really have the option to turn off my SL.

3 Likes