Superline upgrade

Hi Phil, thanks for your comments.

I’m quite at quite a loss as to where to site the NeoTT psu as I’ve ran out of Fraim shelves which is why it has to share a shelf with the phono-stage.

I’m actually awaiting for the completion of the old forum archives as it’s a wealth of information that unfortunately isn’t accessible at this moment.

Nautilus, Regarding the Neo PSU, it doesn’t have to be on racks so to begin with experiment to understand how it interacts with you boxes. I have mine on a bar stool. Once you know the SQ trade off you can decide. Always remember that if later you make SQ improvements you need to do the experiment again!

Phil

Phil, Cool… time for me to whip out one of the odd stools in the house.

I am a big fan of the Superline and have been enjoying mine for over ten years now.

It produced great results without any additional power supply but it really did, in my system, sing with a SupercapDR.

The Superline can become quite addictive with several upgrade options that can potentially improve it even further. The only down side to all this is that can end up being seen as relatively expensive with the addition of a:

• SuperlineDR;
  • Powerline for the SupercapDR;
  • Two extra Fraim shelves;
  • Upgraded 4-5 pin DIN interconnect (Naim Hiline or Chord for example);
  • Two air plugs possibly including cyro treated Z foil air plug.

Of course, non of these options are mandatory or prerequisites to enjoy the Superline.

For me it has been worth it and just seems to deliver what I am looking for in my system.

It has just had a service after ten years and sounds even better!

Regards,

Richard

4 Likes

I moved from Rega’s Aria to Superline (using Rega RP10 with Aphelion).
I can confirm that Superline goes well with a Rega cartridge.

1 Like

For a P6 with Ania, the Rega Aria is the natural phono stage pairing. Whilst you can always spend more (Superline, Aura), why not start with the very capable Aria?? What you have now is simply wrong; it’s a phono stage that simply does not match the output of your cartridge.

Yes, at the RP10 level, something ‘more’ than the Aria is likely called for. But over-spending on a phono stage, unless done as a result of side by side comparisons, just doesn’t make sense - to me, anyway. I’d sooner spend the money on upgrading the table.

3 Likes

Per Mr. Flyer,

This is approximately what I have done.

A 500DR system is a system which is a very high resolution set up. After that it is all about trying to have worthy inputs.

If you have a 500DR system you should go for the Superline as a phono default. The SupercapDR completes the system.

My old, esoteric, well-reviewed, US made, prior phono and power supply sounded like crap by comparison.

I have the base Superline and a low output Lyra Kleos SL cartridge.

If you truly do find a better phono for a Naim system, send me a note.

Stay on the path and upgrade as you can.

Send us all a note. This will be a fun ride.

2 Likes

Agree with @Bart and @Skip

SuperLine is a bit of an overkill with RP6.

I would go for Aria, with a good RCA > DIN interconnect. Chord Signature is the best match I’ve heard.

A superline will set you up for future turntable upgrades and powered from a 552 is something of a bargain, it’s the second best way of powering a superline, you also don’t need to worry about which stack to put it in. The downside is that some recon it slightly degrades the 552 for other inputs, I never noticed an improvement in digital playback when the Burndy arrived to let me use my supercap on it but my digital source at the time was CDX2/555ps and I’d have paid that price for what the superline does. With a p6 on a 500 series setup you’ll likely have a better digital source (ND555?) and if you’re only dabbling in vinyl the Aria might make more sense, if in it for the long term than a superline is the way to go but you’ll be upgrading that table soon.

SuperLine is a big upgrade over StageLine, which is why I wanted one, but in my location it picked up a Czech AM radio signal so it was unusable. I decided moving house was not an option so I went for a different phono stage (not one suitable for a Rega, but I’m a LP12 user). So if you don’t have my radio break through problems then SuperLine should prove an excellent choice.

Adam mate! Do you mind?! I was the first to suggest that SuperLine was overkill on Planar 6.

Cheers, Chris

1 Like

Of course…
Apologies.

Oh dear. Looks like I’m going down a slippery slope with a Superline. I just purchased the P6 and I intend to stretch it for a bit first before considering moving to a new TT.

The SWBO will not be happy…

Don’t worry, the nice thing about the Superline is that you effectively already have half of it with your NAC552/552PS…

1 Like

According to the “source first” theory, it should be:

RP10 + 252 > RP6 + 552

Or

ND555 + 252 > NDX 2 + 552

M.

The issue is I’ll be left wondering what wonders will a Supercap do to the big unused burndy socket at the back. :smile:

The time for a supercap is when it’s a choice between that or spending similar money on a cartridge. (If that happens you’ll do both anyway, one might be delayed a bit that’s all. )

… and then you’ll wonder about the 4-5 pin DIN in lavender. You need to decide how serious you are about vinyl. There is another thread running at the moment started by Bart.

Phil

That’s where I’ve drawn the line.

Superline/HC(DR) here, sounds superb. Radio interference has been as issue but Peter at Cymbiosis sorted my plugs and all resolved.

Regards,

Lindsay