Superline vs Rega Aria - which upgrade?

As wrote in the first post, NDX is powered by an XPS…

I don’t understand why this is not possible, if a Superline is.

Superline = £2699
Rega P8 with the top spec Apheta 3 = £2599
Vertere DG-1 with stock MM cart = £2850
(I compared the DG-1 and P8. The DG-1 was better in my view even with the much cheaper cartridge.)

Two excellent record players that will give a much better return on your money than a higher spec phono stage, in my opinion.

1 Like

I can agree with this having gone from Rp8 to DG1 last year. Its remarkable how good it sounds with a modest MM cart, shows how good the deck the motor and the arm is. Kept my Aria phono stage and works well.

1 Like

With what you have.

1. Regar phono, Aria.

Listen and then

1. If wanted, cartridge upgrade to Ania pro.

2. If wanted, change the deck to RP8, 10, Dg1. A N other.

2 Likes

I had the stageline S in the past too and powered it with a second hand olive hicap. With a REGA P9 at that time. It was very musical.
However I agree with Richard and HH, a P8 would suit much better a 252/300. I would upgrade that first personally.

Ah, I should have gone back to the first post and not relied on your profile.

Lots of ways to go, looking at all above.
But like i said the synergy you get using a rega turntable/cartridge and rega phono stage is hard to beat, especially for the price.
Having had the superline/supercap/airplug/highline on both my P8 and P10, obviously it worked fine and sounded great, but swapping it for the rega aura was a nice upgrade, they just complement each other so well, just like naim amps and pre amps do.
The adjustments for each rega cartridge is spot on and easy to adjust, so going for a better rega phono amp and cartridge, is certainly the easiest way to guarantee the right results using your turntable and its probably going to give you the best sound for your money.
Apheta 2 or 3, would be fantastic on your deck, and a much better way to spend your money, then just add the better rega phono stage, then if a P8 comes up, you will already to set to go

I also have a P6 deck and the upgrade from Ania to Ania Pro was, for me, more than worth it.

Due to the change in stylus shape, sibilance issues were removed aside from when the pressing itself has issues one can fine online. But there was also a total increase in detail and sharpness of sounds. I also found that the base response of the Pro is a lot better than then the vanilla Ania.

1 Like

I’m very happy with RP10/Aphelion/Aria using Super Lumina RCA to DIN into 552/500. I’m sure an Aura could do a bit better than the Aria, but what I have is enough for what is now my second source that is not used as much now. There was a big uplift with the 552/500. The Aria has a lot going for it.

Phil

1 Like

I’d suggest you are making a mistake. I had an Ortofon 2M Black on a P6 and moved it to my new P8. It really is a very large improvement. The arm is a lot better on the 8 and I wouldn’t be tempted by the idea of an Apheta on your 6. It doesn’t come packaged with the Ania for nothing. The deck is far more important than the cartridge or phono stage. You could get a P8 without cartridge, and an Aria, for less than the cost of a Superline.

2 Likes

This is really good advice.

But, knowing this, how about just getting the Aria first and seeing how you like it with the current. It will give a great upgrade. Leaving significant money in the bank.

If it this still gives an unsatisfactory result the above upgrade path is open.

1 Like

The fact is that the P8 is really a big step vs the P6, and the P8 arm can handle high quality MC carts. So the reason to do P8 first.
But the phono stage is the second one important aspect for the performance.
For instance, a Rega P8/ cart / Aria phono will outperform a Rega P10/ same cart / Rega Fono.

1 Like

Maybe clarify further. Bumping everything up won’t show what each upgrade brings by itself. Going P8 as well will always improvement matters, but how much did the phono upgrade bring now? Or was it the turntable mostly? Where did the investment monies go? Unless the old units are available for comparison.

Unless you are a hi fi reviewer does it really matter? If you have a budget, stick to it, do as much as you can within that budget and enjoy the results. Of course auditioning comes into it, when possible.

The reason is not simply for the money … the P6 is a year old and, at the moment, I would like to take advantage of a little more … besides being a regular turntable with the lid that protects it completely, it keeps it safe from little hands of my daughter. Surely the P8 (or similar) will be the next step … but not at the moment …

1 Like

Thank you very much … you’re right … I updated my profile :wink:

Personal preference, I guess. I like the feel of doing it in steps when appropriate. It highlights the strengths and weaknesses of the entire system.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.