Supernait 2 v Supernait 3

After listening to the wonderful little Unitiqute which I bought for a second system to drive some Dynaudio Audience 52 I’m thinking I might eventually go for a Supernait. I’ve not actually heard the Qute with the Audience yet but tried them with some little Emit 10’s and loved the sound.

Bearing in mind the bargain prices for used SN2’s and the fact I don’t need the MM stage is the 3 worth the extra and again bearing in mind this is a second system.

I’ve had both and would absolutely go for SN2 based on your feedback. I actually prefer SN2 over 3 but might be a minority. It feels like SN2 overall was a much bigger sales success than SN3?

1 Like

Thanks @Blackbird
I have read that the difference is minimal and also that it’s huge.

Internally apart from the MM stage and some tweaks to the power stage (trickled down from Statement) they are identical.

I think it was Roy George Naim designer who when asked what Naim he had said a SN2. Of course the whole thing boils down to the speakers that you want to drive.

ive had the two and now the three and id say the three is more transparent and open than the two, its almost like a two with a hicap

4 Likes

In my system the SN2 felt more powerful, bit warmer and more engaging whereas the SN3 was bit more neutral, detailed and 3D and “grown up”. It might be that SN3 wins long term but I rapidly moved to 272/250DR which was a great step up from them both for less money second handed than a new SN3.

2 Likes

The Dyn’s really need some juice, so in your position a SN2 over Qute anyday.
Lovely value those s/h SN2, I went to Aethos to upgrade substantially.

1 Like

It’s silly, but I didn’t want a SN3 because of the phono stage. Having an input labelled Phono that wouldn’t be the input for my turntable (external Trichord phono stage for an MC cartridge) would drive me nuts.

3 Likes

Not that silly at all, I have a Rega Aria and its plugged into the Tuner input, at times I have run the turntable directly into the inbuilt phono stage (and I have to say its mighty impressive) and it certainly “feels” more right to then press Phono, than Tuner, which is a phono stage, grrrrh.

You are not alone in this madness.

2 Likes

Mine’s an odd set-up anyway.
The SN2 is secondary to headphone listening so when I do have music through my new (to me) PMC OB1i’s the routing is Source → Violectric V281 → Line Out → SN2 → OB1i’s
Main sources into the V281 are Rega P8 or NDS
Other sources into the SN2 are for AV and CD

1 Like

I think your decision will mostly come down to budget. I’d keep an eye on the dealer network and ex-demo SN3 coming up at appealing prices, most of the better ones will have one on demo stock rotation and refresh it annually.
That said, I’ve owned all the Supernaits in various system setups over the years and wouldn’t hesitate recommending a SN2 if you stumbled on one at a favourable price, ideally get one that’s fairly recent if you can to extend the maintenance window.
The SN2 and SN3 are to my ears in my setup quite different, I find the SN3 somewhat more composed and in control than the SN2 (which I ran with a HiCap DR) and in fact I don’t run my SN3 with a HiCap DR and never have done, apart from a few days when I still had the HiCap DR before trading it in.
In my case I wanted the option to add a vinyl source as I had a spare Rega deck of a decent spec that needed a home and I have it setup as such now using the SN3 phono stage which is very capable.
To me the greatest gain was moving from an ND5 XS2 to an NDX2 which is where I am currently, I did swap out my Isoblue rack for a full Fraim in the process as well which let the system as a whole open up somewhat.
I’d keep an eye on the prices mostly, if you can find a decent low mileage SN3 ex demo unit that would be where I’d focus my attention, likewise if a bargain SN2 appears used and you won’t be using it a lot then that’s a bargain in itself and a very easy NAIT to live with that works well with a variety of sources, Naim and otherwise.

3 Likes

There certainly recently appears to be some great deals coming up with both very popular amplifiers. I run a SN3 and think it’s the sweetest amp i’ve ever owned. I would not hesitate in recommending it and now’s a good time to purchase one, or a 2.

3 Likes

I’m leaning heavily towards an SN2 which seems a real bargain at the prices being asked.

As I said I don’t need the MM input as this 2nd system won’t have a record player and if it does in the future I can add a separate one.

A used SN3 is about £1000 more expensive than a SN2 so I think it will probably come down to that.

Apart from the short ownership of a Nait 5 I’ve never owned any of the Naits.

3 Likes

I ran with a 5si for a good few years and thought it was a great amp. After that came the XS 2, more refined and effortless, but for me, slightly more boring by comparison on the musical front, also a little thicker (lumpy) in the bass department i thought as well. It was a nice amp for sure, but i found it lacked that ‘X’ factor. Then came the SN3, this was what i was looking for in the end - more detailed, faster, forward and open yet very refined as well. An altogether more compelling listen over the previous amps by quite a margin.

Not heard a SN2 so can’t really comment on that unit unfortunately. I very much doubt that a SN3 is a worthy relegate to a second system though, so maybe not the best value for money in that department either.

3 Likes

Your saving will get you a hi cap then!

1 Like

Stop it!

2 Likes

I’ve owned both SN1 & SN2.

Strangely, I was never comfortable with hicap or hicapDR on SN2.
Clearly some advantages but missing a bit on coherence or timing, hard to explain but easy to recognize.

Wasn’t able to demo Roksan Blak so moved to Rega Aethos.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.