Supernait 3 - Adding a NAP 200 DR or NAP 250 DR

I’d think a 282/250 is an obvious “what comes next” heart to the system.
I can already get it loud enough to rattle the fillings out my teeth and want to prioritise getting the source at its best which should be sufficient for some time to come regardless of what it’s feeding in to.
There’s always a McIntosh valve amp if I get truly curious.

“The upgrade niggle is annoying, as I then think, well if I go separates, should it be the 252/300 - wait a few more years and do it all at once? But it is all very expensive and I have a fine system. Then I would need to reconfigure the set up and room etc and I just end up enjoying what I have because I can’t be bothered. I’m already past where I thought I would ever get to”

Bang on Mike S. This forum is lethal.

Before i started reading the forum again, i would have been dead happy with SN3, NDX2 and C***. Ive heard this system padded out with the mains upgrades and SL cable and i would love to have that system.

Now im thinking Xps dr and Hi cap DR plus powelines and SL. Thats £20 k plus in total.

I came back on the website only after years for some technical info about the SN3 which i now have. Graded A thank you!

13 years ago i had the full 500 system, but so much has happened since then. I dont miss it in all honesty and have put the money to more essential use.

2 Likes

Which is fine and circumstances and hobby expectations change for all of us, it’s just a very costly way to listen to the radio most of the time to be honest!
The threads I start usually focus on performance and system balance/synergy as opposed to cost/value/benefit calculations. If we’re honest apart from maybe a muso qube all of this stuff we discuss is bonkers money and is in a way purpose built for the ocd tinkerer thst hides within us all.
I do enjoy the system I already have, as it stands I get to sit and enjoy it infrequently, I’ve also had more modest and more exotic systems over the years from Naim and others, it’s mainly about considering possible changes and making sound choices and discussing that with likeminded folk. I may actually end up leaving it as it is today and doing nothing with it, it’ll be a while before I’d add a 555PS anyway and I’m enjoying it in its current form sufficiently to not worry to much about missing out!

3 Likes

Let me reiterate something I said before, while I can’t help you on talking about the combination of Naim with NAP… all the qualities you are looking for have to do with pre-amplification and source quality. So focusing now on getting an additional NAP will of course improve the overall picture, but it will in my view not bring the qualities you are looking for. Please demo yourself and convince yourself.

2 Likes

I agree with you. We can have an open mind and investigate sometimes some alternatives to Naim.
I don’t understand that hostility towards non Naim amps. When non Naim streamers or dacs are discussed, mostly Chord, there is never a problem.
I find it tiring too to read that some repeat indefinitely the same set up, as SN2/ hicap / Ndx2/ xps dr , in all different threads, even in different colors and angles…

2 Likes

I have to an extent, I know what it does and I know the Preamp is the most important part and becomes the limiting factor.
The interest is in part hearing if others have tried it, why they did it and if it was just a stop gap to getting a NAC.
I’m leaning towards a 555PS on the NDX2 first and working from there, I’d put adding NAP way down the list but was curious if it made real sense if you didn’t have any later plans to compliment it with a more capable preamp like the 282 or 252.
I’m hoping to at least borrow a 250 for a sanity check in my own system, best way to try is have a listen I agree there fully.

2 Likes

FR, it’s the Naim forum, so to be expected that members want to discuss Naim amps, and options, within a Naim system context. It’s why most members are here, after all.

6 Likes

I’m sorry, that sounds like my system… I quite like it, but I’m not obsessive about it. If it sounds like I am, well it’s a Naim forum…

But in my defence I have this: Nova with a Uniti2 feeding a Heed headphone amp:

And a non Naim system from my teenage years (A60, Arcam Alpha 7SE and AR speakers)…

5 Likes

No, nothing like that. I’m sure they will be perfect with the SN3 and the NAP 250DR, until probably the OP realize those speakers aren’t up to the task and consider improving them; then, he will probably realize that the pre in the SN3 is the limiting factor, and he probably values the NAC282 or the NAC252; probably he will then check that the limiting factor will be the NAP250DR… Although this is only likely and not for granted, we have seen many, but many, similar climbs in the forum, and all the additional ones that are not counted in the forum… By then, climate change will have shaken us hard in different parts of the world, plastics will be increasingly limited, metals of all kinds will be increasingly expensive, we will suffer energy instability in growing parts of the world, water will be scarcer more and more, there will be more threatening pandemics, and social conflict and wars will be virtually widespread; but as privileged citizens of the world, we will continue to make efforts to improve our modest music apparatus to infinity, because, in addition, music will be one of the few fun things that will remain and in which we can continue to take refuge…

But all this it’s just a conversation, and as I said, someone brought the thread i started, and I was just summarizing the information of all of it to avoid the effort of reading it to the OP.

Ha, ha, ha, ha…, as funny and constructive as ever…! Although beyond your irony, Niegel, I assure you from the well-founded experience that in some combinations the NuVista from MF gives wave soups even to the NAC252+NAP300, and at just over a third of its price…, hahaha…

1 Like

Hello newcomer
Are you referring to the Nu vista 600 or 800?

I’m pleased to make you smile! Wave soup sounds good. I sadly don’t get that from Naim.

Both. The two MF hybrids are a marvel: a magical combination with ProAc, with valves pre stage and solid-state power stage, with the best of both configurations and without the problems of either, no change of valves, nor the unbearable heat of the valves, nor their maintenance…

1 Like

So you must try Musical Fidelity…

Croutons at the ready…

I agree, but no one is obliged to be auto centric …

Have you heard the A308 preamp and power amp?

It was not against you Mike.

I’m hoping to buck the trend with my adventurous upgrade plans but I’m getting sidelined with turntables, @frenchrooster partly to blame…

1 Like

No, I really don’t.

The truth is that, despite my dealer’s insistence on the good ProAc-MF synergy and on that I tried it with the K6s, in the beginning I was quite reticent to Musical Fidelity; I found it a second-line brand with range and financial problems, more so after its acquisition by the Austrian Pro-Ject, which has never been characterized by a truly hi-end range. But I must admit that I was very wrong in my prejudices; I don’t know firsthand the rest of the MF range, but the reality is that the two hybrids in its Statement series are two integrated amp lords, with their valves nuvistors that are an “old” discovery, and, moreover, they seem tailor-made for ProAc. Delighted with the discovery and the end of my journey.