Supernait 3 - Addition of HiCap DR

I started with a SN2 and NDX2 just before the SN3 came out and was in the same dilemma. I’ve since added the HiCAP and XPSDR and a Superlumina interconnect, all with great improvements in sound quality.

Source improvements will deliver the best outcome and give you the best musical experience. Build the foundations and amplification improvements can follow later if blowing the budget and box count appeals.

5 Likes

Audition both bare, then decide. The HCDR, etc. will most likely benefit either.

I already own a SN2 and a HiCap DR. The general consensus seems to be to replace my ND5 XS 2 with an NDX 2 first and run it on existing SN2 + HiCap DR amp combo. Juggling the numbers on that to see how/when!

4 Likes

Mike-S, I’m looking to change my interconnect or speaker cable as my next upgrade and would be interested as to how the superlumina improved your system.

1 Like

Yes, great, thanks for asking. Both have made considerable improvements.

The interconnect really lowered the noise floor, so there is more clarity, detail and a much wider and deeper soundstage, quite a remarkable transformation really.

The speaker cable significantly tightens up and deepens the lower end beautifully and is more revealing. I think that it seems to just remove any coloration to the sound, so it becomes very natural.

They are not cheap additions, but are a natural progression to the system and will significantly enhance the listening experience and get the most out of your electronics. If funds are limited, I’d recommend the interconnect first.

1 Like

Thanks Mike, I’d better start saving.

1 Like

Don’t forget there’s Powerlines to be had as well!

1 Like

Thanks Mike, I’m fortunately already using a G3 power block with power line.
I’m also waiting for an electrician to install a dedicated mains supply.
I said I’d keep things simple when I bought a Mu So a few years ago but I seem to have an addictive personality when it comes to upgrades.

2 Likes

I popped to my dealer today for a coffee and a listen. Had a SN3 + NDX 2 + XPS DR setup. Speakers were stand mount Focal’s.

We ran through a selection of tunes from a mix of sources, Tidal and a Melco, Hi-Line then SL IC used.

I had no preconceptions as to what difference (if any/much) would be present going between the two, however I was pleasantly surprised of the uplift from the SL IC vs the Hi-Line, which seemed to add a greater sense of musicality and composure, more relaxed and with a sense of added control.

He knows me too well alas and it’s got me thinking to add it to my list as my journey progresses!

4 Likes

What does your dealer say about the SN2 vs. SN3 differences?

I have a confession to make…
I sat and had a decent listen to, give or take, my target system in the short to mid term.

I’ve lived with my SN2 for a while now (in to the years) and overall have to say its been my favourite Naim integrated amp having gone through a 3R, 5, NAIT XS, NAIT XS 2 and a SN1 prior to that.

I enjoyed the 5 sound a lot but I had different speakers then and overall it was a more modest office system I used during the day in the background mostly. It’s since evolved to become my main 2 channel system and in parallel going through various sources like the CD 5i and CD 5XS as well as a ND5 XS and currently a ND5 XS 2 I’ve evolved my source expectations accordingly.

I also evolved over time from Chord IC’s to the current Hi-Line and added in Powerline Mains over time to polish things up incrementally. I’m still on a mix of full fat and lite in that respect.

I went with an open mind and an idea to swap in an NDX 2 and juggle about getting rid of a few black boxes in the process. The conclusion of which being that I let my NAIT XS 2 and SN2 go and ordered up a new SN3 as a first step (contrary to the collective hive mind guidance on source first priority, forgive my weakness if you will)

One key take away was that the SN3 was running bare and the NDX 2 had a XPS DR driving it, so I’m now leaning towards doing a phase two where I liquidate my CD5 XS, ND5 XS 2 and HiCap DR and make the move to a bare NDX 2 + bare SN3.

I’ve also tagged on a very good deal on Powerlines and a possible swap in of a SL IC to give a lift in the short term to the ND5 XS 2 and a nice friend for the NDX 2 when it slots in.

In my case I also wanted to add a TT to the mix which was not getting enough use in my TV room and show it some love and in doing so reinvigorate my enjoyment of vinyl as a source!

So compared to what I have and where I’m going, the SN3 seemed a little more grown up and authoritative in presentation, the soundstage is a little more open and the midrange (which at times niggled me on the SN2) was more cohesive with better separation, not perfect or where you’d be with a 252 or 282 level preamp but an improvement to my cloth ears none the less.

It’s mostly subtle nuances compared to the SN2 and very source dependant admittedly, but it gave me enough confidence that longer term I’d have an amp in the middle of the system that would stay in control and engage me to the level I’d become accustomed to with it’s older sibling.

Ultimately I’d have done the source swap first but I had a good chance to do a deal on the amp and financially it was a manageable step that gave me a path to fund a new bare system and then add PSU’s to it down the line, preferably I’d add the XPS DR first and finish off with a nice new HiCap DR, my current one is fine and at 5 years old now will command a decent price to offset the cost of the NDX 2. A new HiCap is not cheap but modest relative to the system it joins and somewhat easier to do overall.

Hope that helps give some insight and views, I’ll update as things change and give feedback relative to my own setup if of interest.

5 Likes

Congratulations on your decision, look forward to reading about how get on when you have the NDX 2 > SN 3 installed and running for awhile.

2 Likes

Exciting, new kit!
Even my wife was looking forward to it which helps of course :slight_smile:
Luckily I’m under 1hr from Naim HQ so should be with me in a few weeks.
Need to sleep on the SL IC but was suitably impressed with that, just an IC maybe but a very capable one.
I’ll let this thread run its course and fire up a new one once I’ve got the new kit plumbed in.
Doing a loop to Bristol tomorrow for a nose about, might buy some vinyl to keep me going for now!

2 Likes

Congrats on the new system. You will be thrilled with it. I used to have a SN2 with NDX2 and it was such a joyful, exciting system. I’m sure you will thoroughly enjoy it.

Coincidentally I just added a Superlumina interconnect to my system and am bowled over by it. Will definitely be adding Superlumina speaker cables etc later. Naim have so much right here.

2 Likes

Excellent, sounds like a thoroughly researched and planned upgrade journey - it will be great fun.

1 Like

First of all coming from an SN2 to an SN3, I would not have disposed of my HiCap DR to make the move. The changes to the SN3 are in the power section while the HiCap improves the preamp section including the headphone function.

Before I’d move to an SN3, I’d also upgrade to at least an SL DIN IC and an NDX2. I’m a firm believer in source first to the point where I replaced an SL IC with an Ansuz A2 IC and the NDX2 with an ND555/555PS.

Once you are finished with your system, I’d sure like to hear how it sounds driving your 606’s.

Bud

3 Likes

Hello mike
Did you keep the same length superlumina to the old NACA5?
I am sure I read naim recommend the magic 3.5m length and above for NACA5 and 3m for the superlumina?

1 Like

Hi Mick,

I now have 3m Superlumina, and it replaced 1.5m NACA5 on my SN2. I originally had the 1.5m NACA5 on my Nova as it was the end of the dealers coil and had ordered a 3.5m length of A5 to go on the SN2 - but it ended up with the Nova in the second system as the 1.5m was too short. All very confusing, but yes, 3.0m SL with the SN2 and it is very nice.

1 Like

Hi Guys,
I have similar question -
My configuration now is new SN3 + old HiCap (non DR) .
Will I hear improvement if I replace the HiCap by HiCap DR?

You could just get it back to Naim HQ and have it DR’d if it’s otherwise healthy. It’ll get a once over and a checkup as well if nothing else. I’d expect you’d find that a nice uplift and cost effective.