Supernait 3 And Harbeth

I took a leap of faith and bought the SN2 and NDX2 blind, and it’s a really nice system.

6 Likes

The dealer thought the SN 3 and Luxman 509x would go especially well with my Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary speakers. And, yes, the dealer is in a nice location…Florida.

1 Like

Not sure if he’s actually heard a SN 3. But he did say he thought the SN 3 or Luxman 509x would sound wonderful paired with the Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary model speakers.

My dealer also said, “[…NAIM has one of the most sweet and musical engaging sounds you’ll hear. NAIM has a cult like following like you can’t believe. It’s sound is addicting. I thought SuperNait 2 for you, but it was already over 10 years old! NAIM takes FOREVER to bring out new models. Buying now - SN3 and NDX 2 Streamer ensures you are buying very early in their product life cycles…]”

That’s a rather subjective statement your dealer makes, and your ears might hear it differently. Harbeth has a good number of faithful followers in the Naim community, others here feel Harbeth speakers are a bit dull.

How much is an internal flight in the US?
As others have mentioned you could coincide a short break in the Florida Keys then return home (hopefully) with a smile with the SN3 in the fuselage.

I am not sure the dealer comment makes sense, from what I understand the SN 2 was launched in 2013/14, so only 5-6 yrs ago. It replaced SN which featured a number of digital inputs.

SUPERNAIT

SUPERNAIT 2

SUPERNAIT 3

XS 3 and SN 3 Launch

It’s great fun buying new gear but can be challanging when you can’t demo all units you want to hear. I even started thinking about a quick trip to UK to see family and demo some gear…crazy idea :slight_smile: But justifiable when one considers Naim pricing in places like NZ!

1 Like

I have the standard Super HL5 Plus (not the 40th Anniversary). I did not try the Supernait 2 with the Super HL5+ but have used the Nait XS, 202/200 and 282/250DR to drive the speakers instead. The speakers sounded very mediocre / unexceptional with the Nait XS. The 202/200 provided more detail, verve, excitement and everything more. The 282/250DR brought further enhancement by providing a fuller and more dynamic and robust sound from top to bottom, overall a more sophisticated and matured presentation. The Super HL5+ sounds more complete and accomplished with the 282/250DR than the 202/200 and Nait XS.

I believe you are in the right direction by considering the Supernait 3 (or 2) for your SHL5+ 40th Anniversary. Avoid the Nait XS if you can though if you have the Super HL5+.

Not exactly the SN2 or SN3 but since you have the SHL5+, I might just share my experiences. I have used many amps with the Harbeth Super HL5s (non-Plus) about 9 years ago when I first bought the speakers. I was using Audio Research LS16 and Plinius SA100Mk3 separates to drive the speakers back then. The sound quality was far from satisfactory and I tried not less than six amplifier combinations within 1 year in an attempt to salvage the speakers. In the end I ended up with the Naim NAC202 and NAP200 with the SHL5s for seven years before I upgraded the SHL5 to SHL5+ and 202/200 to 282/250DR.

Another amp which combines well with the SHL5 is the LFD Zero LEIII. I didn’t manage to compare the LFD directly to the Naim separates though as I was using a Rega Elicit Mk2 to drive the Harbeth when the LFD came in. The SHL5s sounded very open, dynamic and illuminating with the LFD. In comparison the speakers sounded flat and uninvolving with the Rega Elicit. As the Rega Elicit sounded almost the same as the Nait XS (I compared both Rega Elicit and Nait XS with the SHL5s), the LFD is a better match to the SHL5 than the Nait XS. However, I recall the bass of the LFD to be rather lean, a one-note bass which does not go very deep. The 282/250DR combination which I have now has superior bass performance than the LFD. I suspect one will need to go to the top-of-the-range LFD NCSE integrated to get the best out of the Harbeth.

Perhaps the Supernait 3 is all you need…

2 Likes

@ryder, just curious, have you listened to the LFD NCSE 3 by any chance?

SStock, I haven’t listened to the LFD NCSE 3. I just read about the experiences of other folks who have upgraded from the LFD Zero to the NCSE. If I’m not mistaken all reported an improvement - a fuller, more robust and dynamic sound, and better bass response.

I have not compared the LFD to the Naim directly (hence my assessment isn’t accurate) but my gut feeling tells me that the Naim does the rhythm and timing better than the LFD. On the other hand, the LFD will sound sweeter and more tube-like than the Naim, more illuminating.

3 Likes

Thanks Ryder, so it sounds like depending on your own personal tastes, your kind of music.

I had Super HL 5 the older ones not the newest ones. I think you need to listen to the Harbeths with the Naim… I used two amps with them, a Plinius 9200 and an Ayon Spirit MKIII… I ended up moving the Harbeths along for Proac D30R… and kept the Ayon… Better match to my taste.

If one predominantly listens to vocal music without much going on in the background, the Harbeth Super HL5 and Plinius amp combination would do fine. Otherwise, it’s a combination made in hell, in my case. Play some fast rock and complex music it just sounded wrong. The Super HL5s sounded a lot better with the Naim 202/200 as pace and rhythm were restored to a more orderly state. Hard hitting bass lines sounded much cleaner and tidier with the Naim. With the Plinius amp, the lower register got into a mushy mess as everything was veiled in the low to mid bass up to the midrange.

FWIW the Super HL5 Plus is a much improved speaker than the older Super HL5. The biggest difference is in the bass quality or response. Much cleaner and tauter bass with the SHL5 Plus with improved coherency from top to bottom due to better integration between the drivers.

I run a Harbeth/Naim system, bought for very much for acoustic and vocals, (200/202 P3ESR) the two seem to work well but I do wonder if the SN3 will bring out the best in the Harbeths ?

I’ve read quite a few reviews where Luxman amps were a highly recommended pairing with Harbeth speakers. But I’m really anxious to hear comments about the new NAIM Supernait 3. Especially as to how it sounds with Harbeth speakers.

No one owns one. You can’t even buy it yet. Waiting to hear personal reviews may take several months or more. Depending when the unit was purchased and how much use its had it may not have burned in fully anyway so the review will be only partially accurate to what you will hear in the end. If you are waiting to hear personal reviews with specific speakers then you maybe waiting quite a while!!

Strikes me that you want to read as much as possible and then make a blind purchase. This is fine of course, but maybe choose products that you can get info on! SN2 perhaps. Better the devil you know and all that…

I bought a second hand SN2 on E Bay about a month ago . It drives a pair of Spendor A6s. Previously had an XS2 . I’m very pleased with it . A new SN3 would be nearly twice the price - can’t see it being twice as good but haven’t heard it of course . You will need a decent source to get the best out of it .

2 Likes

Steve, the hard reality for me is it’s about a 1500 mile drive to my dealer to hear any NAIM product. I get that the best way to choose any component is to hear it live. I get it. But there are many of us on the forums that just do not/cannot have that opportunity perhaps because of time, distance, cost, etc. This is especially true for those of us in rural communities. So doing our due diligence/research and “buying blind” is sometimes (although not always) a necessity. I am tentatively planning a trip to my dealer’s store sometime this winter. That will help me to, if nothing else, confirm my choices. But I will need to have a good grasp on my choices even before then as weather may not permit the trip. We’ll just have to see.

I have about 5 months before I need to start focusing on a single amp. Right now I’m looking closely at the SN3 and a couple Luxmans. That could change over the next 5 months. I do have one dealer fairly close to me but they are not carrying the brands I’m currently interested in.

I think I could hardly go wrong with any of the Luxmans but I read a lot of positive comments regarding NAIM products (among many others). And there are just so many top quality, top name, products out there right now. It seems to be more of a matter of which type or “style” of sound do I like vs can I find a single great sounding amp or speakers. If a customer can’t find a great sounding product these days, even with a “blind pick” maybe they need to pick another hobby. A trial home audition is somewhat standard procedure with many stores. So, perhaps a live audition is a possibility after all.

G’day bluegrassphile,

I too live in a rural location though not as isolated as yourself. If you are in Australia I would guess you are at Mt. Isa. I drove my Celestion 6SLis speakers with an dBSPL of 84dB. These are a current hungry set of speakers that just barely tick the box for producing lovely music with enough headroom for my listening environment. There are formulas around the web that will say you require 14dB headroom for 80’s soft rock, 20dB for classical and I have been told by one manufacture they recommend 23dB Headroom.

I purchased a Naim XS 2 with flatcap. This was in another category compared to my last amplifier an Amber 50b.

I believe that if my Nait XS 2 is able to produce such beautiful music a SuperNait 2 or 3 would do so much better allowing for greater headroom.

If you have already purchased your loud speakers could you please tell me their nominal wattage and dB SPL rating please.

I am a technician and work off numbers and listening experience. There maybe better amplifiers and components better than NAIM and that is part of the journey. Though I believe that I have now my retirement system of a Naim CD 5XS CD player, a Nait XS 2 amplifier and a pair of Celestions SL6si speakers. If I am to change anything it will be the speakers. Though it is going to cost a lot of dollars AUD to find something better. Even as inefficient as they are.

Headroom is the ability of an amplifier to play music at say a low level for instrumental intricacies and then have enough spare amplification to play the loud passage peaks. Industry stand is to allow for 23dB in headroom. If you listen to soft rock the demand is less. Bluegrass is not my speciality so I am out of depth here and would recommend the 23 dB of head room. If I had my time again and know what I know now. I think I would of gone for SN2 or possibly separates that allowed, spare headroom of 200 watts out put for my speakers. Not that I would listen this loud. Though the capacity is there for my current hungry speakers.

I find I normally listen between 68 dB SPL and 78 dB SPL which can be done by down load an app on my iPhone. dBX APP. The capacity of my Nait XS 2 with 84 dB SPL speakers is a maximum output of 102.7 dB SPL. Which provides me a headroom. of 24 dB. Just inside recommended headroom specifications for Classical. I would still like more.

I hope this helps. Others milage may differ. Go for the SN3 if you can afford it. If price is no option the set of separates with 200 watts capacity of headroom might be comforting to you that you will not work you amplifier too hard. Though this maybe all unnecessary if your speakers are more efficient. I am sitting in about a nine foot equilateral triangle with respect to my speakers and sitting position. Your room and sitting position may differ. Larger or smaller.

Warm regards,

Paul.